1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PE50 vs. PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andye2004, Apr 9, 2005.

1. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Help! I'm confused after just about committing to buy the new PE50 thinking it was HDTV ready after reading Panasonics blurb on their site about it being "High Definition" it would appear what they really mean is it's higher than previous models but not HDTV ready.

Here's my dilemma, do I go ahead with an order for the PE50 or wait for the PV500 and hope that I can pick one up at a reasonable price? QED have the 37" PE50 just over 1400 and Unbeatable have it at 1500 to include a free dvd recorder. The only price I have seen so far for the 37" PV500 is at AV-Sales and that was 2150 including the desktop stand.

Given what I have been reading about when HDTV broadcast will start and how much of the overall material broadcast will actually be HDTV is it really worth

a) the extra money
    b) waiting for the PV500 to be available

Help!

2. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The PV500 also has better connectivity, multi-window capabilities, a card reader, probably better sound (26W vs. 16W, so at least it has a different sound system). Also, as far as I can tell from the pictures, the PV500 looks better (it seems to have some kind of front screen, which might also protect the screen and could make cleaning easier). I for one am eagerly awaiting the PV500 series...

3. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Any opinions????

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think anyone's seen a PV500 on a shopfloor, so opinions might be hard to come by.

As jvwaard points out, the PV500 is the deluxe model - and has a gloss black finish, rather than the disappointing matte of the PE50.

If I could afford it, I'd probably (but i never part with cash on something i havent seen) get the PV500, and for a measely £300 extra (I think the 37PV500 will be available for £1700 when in stock), I'd probably save up even if I couldn't. The only single thing I'd worry about is that the PV500's aren't as bright as the PE50s. Otherwise, the PV500 is obviously worth it.

5. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The resolution of the PV500 is listed as 1024X720??? Very strange as most plasmas come in at 768 not 720. Would this mean that the PV500 would not have to scale 720p sources and would run at native resolution? WOuld this provide a better picture in theory? I dont see any of the other plasmas running at 720, be interesting to see how the pv500 deals with a 720p signal.

ANy thoughts?

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    720p is 1280x720, so you would still have to downscale in the horizontal direction.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think it's just the 37" that has a native resolution of 1024x720, the others are 768, and I think the 50" may be 1366x768.

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    From what I have read of the Viera PV500 range...

37" = 1024x720
    42" = 1024x768
    50" = 1366x768

Both the 37" & 42" PE50 Vieras are 852x480.

S.

9. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've Had a chat to my local pana dealer and they seem to think that the pv500 can record tv directly onto SD cards which you could then view in a digi cam. That alone would swing my decision. :D

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    How does the aspect ratio relate to the number of pixels on plasma screens. Using the 42" as an example the native resolution of 1024x768 relates to a native aspect of 4x3 not widescreen 16x9. With LCDs for instance, the aspect ratio seems to be in direct proportion to the pixel resolution. Forgive my ignorance on this.

11. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I've heard that too :D Very handy feature to have.

It just means that the 42" won't have square pixels it will have oblong pixels even though the overall panel will have a 16:9 aspect ratio.

S.

12. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anamorphic Widescreen DVD is 'compressed' to fit within a PAL/NTSC 4:3 frame (which is why people can look thin if you zoom or run it on a 4:3 TV without setting the DVD corectly), and this is then stretched out to either side to fill the image on a widescreen.

So the fact something doesn't have a 16:9 pixel ratio doesn't prevent it displaying material in a widescreen aspect ratio (in fact the SD anamorphic image will more closely match the 4:3 pixel structure).

13. pwrslide

pwrslide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can sombody tell me when the pv500 will be on sale thanks

14. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my dilemma, do I go ahead with an order for the PE50 or wait for the PV500 and hope that I can pick one up at a reasonable price? QED have the 37" PE50 just over 1400 and Unbeatable have it at 1500 to include a free dvd recorder. The only price I have seen so far for the 37" PV500 is at AV-Sales and that was 2150 including the desktop stand.

Mate

Can I be cheeky and ask a silly question? Why would you even think about buying an SD TV when you can afford the HD? Regardless of when we obtain resonable priced HD - isnt it like buying a top top priced B&W screen instead of a colour screen?...excuse the lame analogy but it makes no sense to me - but dont say I didnt warn ya mate! If you want SD then why not spend a grand or so on a Panny 7 series for example?

Regards

Dil :lesson:

15. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Fair comment dil.

Having found out a bit more about the 500 it's not just the resolution that's different and there does seem to be lot more for the money, however much that turns out to be.

I'm probably going to wait for the 500, even it means waiting another coupla months, I'll just have to save some more in the meantime.

Thanks all for the comments.

16. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can I be cheeky and ask a silly question? Why would you even think about buying an SD TV when you can afford the HD? Regardless of when we obtain resonable priced HD - isnt it like buying a top top priced B&W screen instead of a colour screen?...excuse the lame analogy but it makes no sense to me - but dont say I didnt warn ya mate! If you want SD then why not spend a grand or so on a Panny 7 series for example?

Regards

Dil :lesson:[/QUOTE]

One reason might be if the HD (500) Viera looks great on HD material, but not as good as the SD screens with the stuff we have to watch for the next couple of years (SD)...

17. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does indeed, I have seen this done on the PV500 and the results arent half bad :)

18. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Dempsey, if you have seen the 500 in the flesh can you comment on the PQ? I haven't found anywhere that has it available for viewing as yet.

19. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point taken Sulis mate..but then perhaps spending cheaper is better value for those 2 years!

20. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the screens were running Blu-Ray DVD when I saw them at the trade show in March so can't comment on SD material but what I did see was fantastic.

21. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HD material looks excellent on ED screens too, you wouldn't be the first person who doesn't see a difference between a HD/ED screen on 10/12 feet+ with HD material...

Besides this, go and watch HD/ED screens side by side. For example Hitachi PD4200 vs 5200 or Philips 9956 vs 9966. The ED screens whipe the floor with the HD screens in terms of contrast/black levels. :rotfl:

(yes i know, the above HD screens are Alis panels, not such a good example :) )

22. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Does that mean the HD models will be the same price as SD? or will SD drop in price?

My parents have ordered the 42PE50 (they have no patience), but I might get the 37" HD version myself (I think 42" is too big for a flat???)