Quantcast

PE50 vs PE500

StinkyPete

I have decided to go for the 37PE50 and the 42PE50 over their PV500 counterparts, reasons for this are mainly non availability of the PV500's and the massive price difference.

I just can't justify paying an extra £2000 on the PV500's over the PE50's, best price I can find is with H Prestons 42" £1299 and 37" £1139, and JL will price match against Prestons. It will cost me over £2000 extra to get a price match from JL on the PV500 and a great deal more effort unless I wait 3 - 6 months.

I have seen both models in store and the PE50 looks great, the PV500 does look better but that was with a HD feed. And I doubt there will be any HD feeds for a couple of years yet on freeview and SKY will charge a fortune for their HD equipment and up their monthly fees on top.

RHCP

Novice Member
The money that you save can go towards a true hi-def screen when there is more hi-def material around, by then the price will probably fallen to about £1000 anyway then you will have 2 great screens. :smashin:

I've got the pe50 and you just can't fault it.

Here is the review just added a couple of days ago:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6071

Again, silly sausage reviewers reviewing an sd screen and the only complaint is that it isn't hi-def. :suicide:

Get this screen, you won't regret it - Search this forum there isn't one bad review of it (unlike most other screens).

Had mine two weeks now and lovin it :)

longy

Novice Member
the 500 series looks better with sd veiwing because of the extra shades of graduation wihch gives the picture more depth and detail

DJT75

Distinguished Member
StinkyPete said:
I just can't justify paying an extra £2000 on the PV500's over the PE50's

There's only a £1000 difference between a 37" PE50 & PV500, however I still opted for the PE50 on exactly that basis & knowing the PV500 will be replaced with a far better machine once HD is properly established.

longy

Novice Member
now im confused, just checked the review of the pe 50 series and it says it has a graduation of 2084 and in the offical panasonic spec list its got 1024 what the hell is going on :suicide:

StinkyPete

DJT75 said:
StinkyPete said:
I just can't justify paying an extra £2000 on the PV500's over the PE50's

There's only a £1000 difference between a 37" PE50 & PV500, however I still opted for the PE50 on exactly that basis & knowing the PV500 will be replaced with a far better machine once HD is properly established.
I am buying a 37" PE50 and a 42" PE50 which is where I get the total diff on both screens. I t will be a couple years before HD is out for day to day stuff, and when it is I doubt the difference between the PE50 and the PV500 will be that noticable, especially if I take my glasses off.

Has anyone seen this screen with a HD feed?

M

MAT365

Hi pete

I have seen the PV500 alongside PE50 in a department store in singapore a couple of weeks ago, running a HD loop.
I have to say there is in fact a difference in sharpness, but only slightly when you stand less than 3 meters away from the display.
interestingly the price difference between the two models over there is more like 50% rather than the 100% we have in the UK.
The PE50 price is about the same as the UK, i.e the PV500 is much cheaper there.

StinkyPete

I have had a call from JL today and they will price match against the h preston prices.

I will get it in writing tomorrow, so should I go for it, what do you think

RHCP

Novice Member
Do it, you won't be disapointed!

I promise ya!

StinkyPete

Just re done my calculations nad the viewing distance for one will be 9 to 10 feet and the distance for the other will be 13 feet.

So.... I will have to get two 42" screens wont I, I mean I already have a 36" philips in my front room now and a 37" plasma is not that much bigger. It should be 42" and not 37", would you agree :smashin:

I feel like I am 12 again at christmas, and I dont have to buy the missus anything in return :thumbsup: :clap:

RHCP

Novice Member
Mine is 10 feet away, looks great!

I definately feel like i've done the right thing, buying this now and waiting for a hi-def screen.