PE50 vs PE500

StinkyPete

Established Member
Reaction score
I have decided to go for the 37PE50 and the 42PE50 over their PV500 counterparts, reasons for this are mainly non availability of the PV500's and the massive price difference.

I just can't justify paying an extra £2000 on the PV500's over the PE50's, best price I can find is with H Prestons 42" £1299 and 37" £1139, and JL will price match against Prestons. It will cost me over £2000 extra to get a price match from JL on the PV500 and a great deal more effort unless I wait 3 - 6 months.

I have seen both models in store and the PE50 looks great, the PV500 does look better but that was with a HD feed. And I doubt there will be any HD feeds for a couple of years yet on freeview and SKY will charge a fortune for their HD equipment and up their monthly fees on top.

The money that you save can go towards a true hi-def screen when there is more hi-def material around, by then the price will probably fallen to about £1000 anyway then you will have 2 great screens. :smashin:

I've got the pe50 and you just can't fault it.

Here is the review just added a couple of days ago:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6071

Again, silly sausage reviewers reviewing an sd screen and the only complaint is that it isn't hi-def. :suicide:

Get this screen, you won't regret it - Search this forum there isn't one bad review of it (unlike most other screens).

Had mine two weeks now and lovin it :)

the 500 series looks better with sd veiwing because of the extra shades of graduation wihch gives the picture more depth and detail

StinkyPete said:
I just can't justify paying an extra £2000 on the PV500's over the PE50's

There's only a £1000 difference between a 37" PE50 & PV500, however I still opted for the PE50 on exactly that basis & knowing the PV500 will be replaced with a far better machine once HD is properly established.

now im confused, just checked the review of the pe 50 series and it says it has a graduation of 2084 and in the offical panasonic spec list its got 1024 what the hell is going on :suicide:

DJT75 said:
StinkyPete said:
I just can't justify paying an extra £2000 on the PV500's over the PE50's

There's only a £1000 difference between a 37" PE50 & PV500, however I still opted for the PE50 on exactly that basis & knowing the PV500 will be replaced with a far better machine once HD is properly established.

I am buying a 37" PE50 and a 42" PE50 which is where I get the total diff on both screens. I t will be a couple years before HD is out for day to day stuff, and when it is I doubt the difference between the PE50 and the PV500 will be that noticable, especially if I take my glasses off.

Has anyone seen this screen with a HD feed?

Hi pete

I have seen the PV500 alongside PE50 in a department store in singapore a couple of weeks ago, running a HD loop.
I have to say there is in fact a difference in sharpness, but only slightly when you stand less than 3 meters away from the display.
interestingly the price difference between the two models over there is more like 50% rather than the 100% we have in the UK.
The PE50 price is about the same as the UK, i.e the PV500 is much cheaper there.

I have had a call from JL today and they will price match against the h preston prices.

I will get it in writing tomorrow, so should I go for it, what do you think

Do it, you won't be disapointed!

I promise ya!

Just re done my calculations nad the viewing distance for one will be 9 to 10 feet and the distance for the other will be 13 feet.

So.... I will have to get two 42" screens wont I, I mean I already have a 36" philips in my front room now and a 37" plasma is not that much bigger. It should be 42" and not 37", would you agree :smashin:

I feel like I am 12 again at christmas, and I dont have to buy the missus anything in return :thumbsup: :clap:

Mine is 10 feet away, looks great!

I definately feel like i've done the right thing, buying this now and waiting for a hi-def screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom