1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PE50 Scratch in Glass Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ade848, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please. I've had my PE50 for about three weeks now, and at the weekend i noticed a fine three inch scratch on the glass. Cant say I've noticed it before now so cannot say for definate it was there when I got the screen. Its mounted on an Alphason stand so the three year old is probably responsable.

To say I am gutted is an understatement. Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the scratch from the glass, or is that it, I am stuck with it?

Watched a film last night and despite trying my hardest you cannot really see the scratch from my normal viewing position, but I know its there and therefore it is ruining my enjoyment of the screen. :(

Fantatstic Plasma for the money though - screen seems to be getting better and better.

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Problem is, most screen glass have some sort of coating, so to try and polish it out may damage it in another way. I think you should ask a reputable Panansonic dealer for advice.

3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure it is a scratch Ade...I thought I had one on my Panny 42pv500 after having it a couple of weeks....it turned out to be a mark that looked just like a scratch....I got rid of it by following manufacturers instructions...basically a clean cloth and water...from then on I always cover my screen with a big cloth cover

4. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ive just received my new Pioneer 436 xde due to my 433 mxe being written off by my home contents insurers due to an inch scratch on the screen , the chap who came to inspect it said nothing could be done about the scratch :D .

5. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Josey,

Been thinking I must get the insurers out to have a look- even been thinking of giving JL a call to see if they can help.

What did they say re the scratch. I'm worried that because the screen is perfect in every other way they will just fob me off. Incidentally, what did they do with the old screen?

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    They probably stripped the screen down and repackaged it as a PE50...:)

J/K

But as someone has said, its not just glass on there, they have that Real Mach filter on there to make the blacks blacker and that could be what is scratched, and again, as said, try cleaning with some warm water and a cloth, be careful though. Something would have to hit it hard to put a scratch in it like that, otherwise I reckon it would just be a scuff.

7. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim,

I had a good look at the screen yesterday and thats what I thought, that it would have to be hit hard to scratch like that, and as I said its about three inches long.

I will follow all your advice and have a go with some warm water tonight. Fingers crossed.

8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must stop typing in invisible ink

9. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Lionheart ..... that ones alluded me.

I certainly wasnt ignoring you or your post but i think mine is a scratch, or it certainly feels like a scratch in the glass.

10. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mine had to be hit hard to scratch it :rotfl: seriously though , they wont fob you off ,it is the most important part of the panel after all , interestingly I still have the old panel , I thought they would have taken it away .

11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol np..just my sence of humour...sorry to hear that its a scratch....the water and cloth is still worth a go...mine felt like a scratch to...fingers crossed Ade

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello all

joseywales and Ade848 - all that's damaged is the Plastic Front filter; which are replaceable components on the models you both have :)

Best regards

Joe

PS Now if you scratch the XDE that is in the bin!

13. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe

Any idea of the procedure and likely cost of a repair?

Good news that it is repairable. Looks like I can start speaking to the three year old now and now he wont grow up all bitter and twisted cos his daddy didnt talk to him for years...... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello Ade848

It may be simpler to feign ignorance and do as joseywales has done and call in the insurers - you may be able to turn a drama into a slightly scratched repairable goldmine :)

Best regards

Joe

15. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any idea how much it would be to replace the front filter on mine though , it must be worth something , it wasnt long ago calibrated by Gordon . Thought I could repair it and flog it in the sales section :) .

16. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Josey,

Before I call the insurers - how bad was your scratch, for example could you notice it under normal viewing conditions, or only when the screen was switched off.

Thanks

Ade

17. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You had to look for it , couldnt really see it when the screen was switched on , could feel it with your fingers though . Ive just booked mine into a repair centre to get an estimate for repair .

18. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know roughly how much Josey, I am going to call my insurers tonight.