PE50 owner reviews the PX60

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Faust, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Whilst in John Lewis today (not looking for electrical items) I managed to give the wife the slip :D and made straight for the electricals section. First thing I came across were a pair of 37" Panny plasmas the PE50 (same model as I own) and the PX60 and alongside those were the 42" versions of each model. Given that they were both running a Freeview feed I couldn't miss the opportunity to carry out a comparison test. As the store was pretty empty the sales assistant was happy to provide me with the remotes and left me to it. First impressions - the Freeview pictures on each model were first class and I honestly could not put a pin between them - the word "identical" comes to mind. I then asked the sales assistant if he could hook up a Hi Def feed. He rightly pointed out that the PE50 could only accept analogue component whereas the PX60 could use the HDMI socket - I assured him that wasn't a problem. By now quite a group of people had gathered around both t.v.'s around 6 people including myself plus the sales assistant. The pictures on both the PE50 and the PX60 were stunning, but again everyone agreed that whereas the PE50 may not be true Hi Def not one of us could detect any difference, I am not just saying that, that was my honest opinion. Moving on to aesthetics - I have to say although some will say I am biased, but I think the cabinet on the PE50 looks much better. I really do not like the PX60 cabinet with those sweeping front struts. On the PE50 the struts have a graceful curve which bottoms out to a flat surface. I use this area on the PE50 to place the front speakers of my 5.1 surround sound system. With the PX60 this would not be possible and the speakers would have to stand at each side of the cabinet. To sum up then - both models give great results when it comes to PQ - honours even here. However, I really wish that Panasonic had left the cabinet design alone, it now closely resembles the one used in the current CRT range which I think cheapens the look of what is in every other respect a most effective design statement.

2. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Picking up my Panny37 PE50 on Thursday
    and must say i liked the picture too
    plasma design/cabinet is nicer
    and JL (Bristol)did a price match of £899 with pedestal
    can see point of buying new model for more but with less if you get my drift
    but drove my wife mad by waiting for new range just in case

3. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Aren't the front speakers a bit close together if you put them on the foot of the cabinet?

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    They are exactly three feet apart which may be a bit close, but seems to work just fine (which did surprise me as well). However, because of situation it would be difficult to place the speakers any further apart due to large patio windows, they would simply have been to far apart or stuck in the middle of the floor. Speakers apart though I really do think that Panasonic have spoilt the look of the PX60 with those sweeping front struts. Manufacturers think they have to change a design just to keep it fresh and sometimes change for change sake just does not work - simply my view, and I'm sure others will disagree.

5. Jango

Jango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've compared the PE50 and the PV500 (very similar to the PX60) and the PV500 wiped its bottom all over the PE50. The high def feed of the PV500 was simply stunning, the freeview on the PE50 was just OK...

Freeview might look the same on both of them, but the reason people buy the high def sets is for future proofing. High def DVDs are not that long off at all.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    You are the first person I have come across who has made that statement and quite frankly I don't believe it. I think it's a case of seeing what you wanted to see rather than what was there. I along with many others have seen the PV500 run alongside and I do mean alongside the PE50 both running the Panasonic promo for Hi Def and the two are indistinguishable, unless that is you were a Peregrine Falcon in another life. I happened to be in my local [email protected] store when the guy from Panasonic was actually delivering and setting up the equipment for the Hi Def displays and even he admitted that he couldn't really see the difference between the PV500 and the PE50 running this feed. Certainly if you view it from the recommended distance then it's honours even.

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Er

So an HD source on a PV500 was better than Freeview on a PE50?

No ****.

8. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    1024x768 42" plasma's have never convinced me with HD material vs a ED plasma. From 10/12ft viewing distance, the difference in terms of sharpness is SMALL.
    A 42" LCD however yes, it's 2 times more sharp than each 42" HD plasma i've seen.

9. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I would love to hear a completely unbiased comparison between the SD and HD Panasonics.

I suppose we all would eh? :)

10. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Sounds like a case of "HD Denial"

11. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Before I purchased my plasma, I saw both the PE50 and PV500 running HD and freeview feeds at Peter Jones (John Lewis).

With freeview I thought there was vey little difference. Strangely some channels looked better on one plasma whilst other channels looked better on the other. High quality channels (Sky 1,2 etc) looked better on the PE50. On the PV500 these looked "softer" to my eyes when close up. On the lower bit rate channels I thought the PV500 was better. The differences are probably a result of the upcoversion to 768 lines on the PV500. There really is little difference.

With HD, the PV500 was the clear winner when close up. From 3-4 feet the extra detail is clearly apparent with small writing, peoples hair, faces, grass - it all looks much clearer. From 6-8 feet away the two tv's looked almost identical and from greater than 8 feet I really could not notice a diffrerence.

Both are great tv's, but I went for the PE50. For the price and quality it cannot currently be beaten.

In my opinion, HD is hype. What's the point of paying extra for quality you will not notice from normal viewing distance? If you have an XBOX360 or PC then maybe the extra price can be justified, but for plain old tv viewing I wouldn't, and haven't bothered.

edited to say: Sorry for not sticking to the title PE50 vs P60 thread. I think the P60 looks too much like a panel, which I personally do not like.

12. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read these forums for ages and decided I wanted a Panny plasma tv, but couldn't decide between the PV500 or the PE50.

I went into my local Panasonic shop and compared them side by side with an HD feed via component - at about 2m away I couldn't tell the difference. I really couldn't. They hooked up Sky and to be honest I could hardly tell any difference, but maybe the PE50 looked a BIT better, slightly less 'edgy'.

I decided to go for the 37" PE50 in the end - £800 extra for something I couldn't really tell apart at 2m away I didn't think was worth it.

Now just have to get the room decorated so my wife will let me hang it on the wall and watch the bl**dy thing!!! :D

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Design of course is all a matter of taste.
    I think both the previous and new PX60 cabinets are hideous.

It isn't just me, when I first marched my wife off to have a look at a new TV (she was as keen on a plasma as me) her first reaction to the Panasonics PV500's was "not having one of those in my house".
    Not only did she not like the stand, she didn't like the look of the set either.
    But she much prefers the PX60 because it has the thinner bezel, so the set doesnt look so big.

14. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,262
    Yep I would agree with the above comments about the difference between PV500 and PE50.

I still have my trusty 29" 4:3 Philips CRT hooked up to a monster of a sound system but it leaves my vision something lacking.

I was firmly on the HD band wagon until I saw a demo in John Lewis of the two screens above running the same HD feed. The PV500 was HDMI whilst the PE50 was Component.

From a viewing distance of a couple of foot you could clearly see the difference between the screens with a lot more detail on the HD screens. I would also say the colours appeared richer on the HD screen although that could be the set up of the screen.

From a regular viewing distance say (8-10ft) however there appears to be no noticeable differerence in quality which surprised me and also made me question spending almost double on the HD screen.

So I am now competely confused with what I should buy as I want to spend the minimum amount I can but get a TV that is going to give me a good quality picture for some time to come.

Part of the problem I think is that the resolution of most HD 42" plasmas is only 1024 x 768 so you lose some horizontal information in the scaling process to fit the screen. If you got the full resolution you would be gaining an extra 20% of info. When 1080p panels come out in the summer it will be an interesting comparison at regular viewing distances. Just a shame they will be 5k + :(

15. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    You would have to future proof yourself with a set that has HDMI.
    Sky HD might support component with its initial boxes, but HD DVD is going to require HDMI, and even Sky are not committed to how long component will be continue to be provided or even whether some channels (or even individual programmes) will not allow component output.

Though current 42" plasma might only be 1024x768 that is still almost 2x the pixels of a PE50.

Clearly 1024x768 isn't ideal, but right now a 42" HD plasma with 1024x768 offers the best bang for the buck PQ wise IMHO (compared to similar sized LCD which might offer more pixels, but not as good PQ)

16. Starzy

Starzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I cant see sky getting rid of Component for quite a few years yet, how many people in the UK have a HDMI connection? i would say a minority of people do.

17. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I'm counting on.

I can't see SKY switching to HDMI only in the next 2 years when so many people don't have it.

Then hopefully by the time they do switch, my PE50 will be in the bedroom and I'll have a new HD plasma with a better resolution than those out at the moment.

18. montybaber

montybaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    You are on my wavelength :smashin:

19. DGS

DGS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post to the forum, having just won my battle with the registration process (spam filters :mad: ).

However, I have been reading it quite a lot recently as I have been agonising over the same issue - PE50 SD vs PV500 (and latterly PX60) HD.

I started off thinking it would be foolish not to buy an HD set for future compatibility reasons, however after reading lots on this forum and thinking long and hard I decided to go for the PE50. Main reasons were:

1) Will I likely give Sky the £££ for HD box along with ££ for extra subscription in next few years? Answer - no.
    2) Will I likely buy HD DVD or Blueray player anytime soon? Answer - not very likely as I am new to this home cinema deal and have just bought my first all-in-one system to see how much I use/enjoy it.
    3) Is it worth spending alsmot double to get an HD set now, when the money I save by buying an SD set could almost pay for a far superior HD set in 3 to 5 years time (when HD is much more widespread and you can make a more informed decision as to its worth). Answer - No.

In the end I chose the PE50 (37-inch) and managed to get it for £1119 with cabinet stand, free delivery and 5 year guarantee by price mathcing JL.

My decision is partly down to me being new to home cinema and partly that I don't believe in paying premium for the latest technology, when you can get the previous technology (still excellent) much cheaper.

Also I should say that a 37-inch screen is nudging the upper end of what I can get away with due to the size (or really shape, as its not that small) of our lounge. The PE50 is physically smaller (width) than the PV500 (not sure about the PX60). With regards the looks, I much prefer the PE50 cabinet stand to the new ones.

PE50 should arrive on Friday. Can't wait!:thumbsup:

20. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Only a small minority of Sky's current customers have component inputs on their TVs either.

This isn't about what people have today, its about what is going to be the standard in the future.

HD is new in the UK, and the vast majority of people are going to be buying HD TVs for the first time, and every HD Ready set has HDMI sockets.

A year from now the number of Component only users is going to be small compared to those with HDMI, and 2-3 years from now, insignificant.

Sky will have no concerns about making a small number of old generation customers upgrade.

21. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Almost every LCD and Plasma panel sold has component inputs. Most current HD-Ready displays only have one HDMI eneabled socket so will have to use component for a 2nd HD source (HD-DVD plus Sky HD plus PC etc). If component was dead, why do they include it with almost every HD LCD/Plasma sold now?

22. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I said "component only". My point was that "component only" devices will be small compared to those with HDMI.

Nor did I say component was dead. Component is still provided on displays because there are lots of existing component-only sources like DVD players, not because it is there to support HD.

But no one should be surprised if Sky (forced by the media providers) switch off HD over Component in order to protect rights.

It isn't Sky's fault if people buy TVs with only one HDMI socket is it? Why should they provide component just to compensate for people's shortsightedness? Sky could equally say, well use the HDMI for Sky HD, and use the component for other HD sources.

23. rapid

rapid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a 37pe50. Currently I use a denon 1910 SD dvd player via component and feel the picture is pretty decent. Would I see much improvement using an upscaling player such as the denon 1920? Just wondering if this would be a big leap or not on a SD plasma such as the pe50.

Thanks,
    R

24. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No point in upscaling if the tv then downscales. You'll end up with a worse picture.

25. rapid

rapid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Orwella, I've read mixed views about running HD signals into SD displays... some people say that there is no point, as you have stated the image is simply downscaled in order to be displayed within the SD screens resolution.

But I have seen some posts in my travels saying a HD feed into a decent SD panasonic display will look stunning from realistic viewing distances.

I'm basically after confirmation that it is a worthwhile upgrade.. my 1910 has the faroudja chip which is providing a nice progressively scanned image, but I'm thinking a player like the 1920 which also has the faroudja chip but also upscales the image will surely look better?

26. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    A HD feed into a 37PE50 does indeed look good. BUT this is when fed from true HD source material. There will be no benifit upscaling from 576i (I assume PAL) to 720p and then down to 480p.

27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    I had the same concerns about future proofing when I bought the PE50. I felt much better when I received a letter from Sky's tech department concerned with Hi Def implementation. Although they did not commit themselves what they did say about the first generation boxes with component was this - "Sky usually views its hardware cycle as being approximately five years". Sky are well aware that they need to attract customers to Hi Def for it to be a success which is why HDCP will not be any issue anytime soon, they have already negotiated these contracts before they launch. Although HD has little interest for me in the short to medium term whether it be Blue Ray DVDs or Sky, facts are facts and I like many others truly could not detect any difference between the PV500 with Hi Def material and the PE50 again displaying Hi Def. I do accept that the PV500 probably has the edge when viewed close in, but who in heavens name is going to watch either a 37" or 42" panel from two to three feet away instead of the normal eight to ten feet. As others have said the money saved now will pay for a much better panel years down the line when Hi Def is more mainstream.

28. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    I would not argue with your point of view regarding the cabinets whether it be the PX60 or the PE50 as I had much the same views as yourself, and my wife positively hated the cabinet stand. However, what swung it for us was physical presence. The footprint of the PE50 with cabinet stand is actually less than the 28" Panasonic CRT that we replaced. The other option was the pedestal on a glass stand. However, the glass stand took up more room than the CRT and would have been positively dangerous with one corner sticking out into the lounge (hanging it on a wall was never an option). So this is how we came to have the cabinet, and the funny thing is that the wife now says she was wrong to dislike the cabinet and she thinks it looks less obtrusive than any other t.v. and stand that we have ever owned.

29. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    No. That is not a "fact", just your opinion

30. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: