1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PE30 Picture softness

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Orlando, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am awaiting delivery of a Panasonic 37" PE30.
    However I was in currys today and it was set up next to the Hitachi 37 5200 and the new 37" Sony. I know that the signal in Currys is rubbish etc, but all the sets were getting the same signal. I must admit that I was dissapointed that the PE30 was displaying a much softer image, with no where near the detail of the other two sets, and also the whole picture was much darker even when I turned the brightness right up, the other two sets brightness was only half way turned up. No matter how much tweaking I did with the Pannys picture I couldn't recitify things.
    I am now having second thoughts, and am thinking about changing to the Hitachi.
    Are there any owners of the PE30 that can put my mind at rest, as everything I've read about the Panny states that the image is sharp. I really like the asthetics of the Panny, but at the end of the day picture is most important.
    I am well and truly getting fed up with thinking about this purchase, I just want it over and done with and be happy with it :suicide:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think you'll be more than happy with the panasonic when you get it home, Hitachi are notoriously set up hotter than the sun for demo, it might look OK in Currys, but it's actually pants, no not the set, the setup. Way too bright much too much contrast. At that level you just burn the screen. When you get the panny, get everything turned down to -5 or less, maybe, for 1st 2-3 weeks, then run a calibration/setup disc like video essentials, it'll be fine.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Out of those 3 the Panny has the best and sharpest picture by far. The Hitachi is a nowhere near as good.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well, that might be a bit subjective, even if I totally agree! But you'll have the hitachi boys around with talk like that...

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    True, everything is subjective but it is certainly not as sharp as the Panasonic. Hitachi is a nice enough screen and has the better res on offer. However, end result is rather soft and I categorically do not like the image it produces.

6. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, I feeling better about my decision already.