PE Teachers

Have you raised your concerns with the school?
Currently no...

Will wait and see how this pans out.

I am certain the demand for clubs will drop after a couple of weeks, i'd love him to join one but its his choice, no point being forced to go and then hating it...

If the teacher continues to be OTT then I will of course raise a concern with the school, currently though he is off to school with a fatherly pep talk full of beans again.

Yep, my daughter is already asking when she can have a phone. She is year 5 in Primary! but all her friends have one.
Either: 1, her friends do have one and their parents are weak morons, or 2: she has exaggerated the truth.
I think it is 1....My daughter complained in year 5 when they had their disco that everyone is on their phone and nobody is talking to each other and dancing...For us year 7 is the first time to get a phone....

Had his first PE lesson on Tuesday where the teacher pretty much barked all the rules out and after everyone said if it was broken you'd get a detention.

Today had his second pe lesson and he said to another boy or group in general that he'd 'smack them round the face if he had to

Ah them were the days...

"He does the military two-step down the nape of my neck" - (The Headmaster Ritual)

Reminded me of this...

Oh and to top it off he's said to them all that they have to join a club

Now that does take the biscuit.

I'm surprised now that PE in this PC world has sported an instance such as this. I'd have expected the pre-requisite of boys having to wear skirts or special make-up or even transgender sessions.

PE teachers should be sadistic bullies, it's part of the job description. It's heartening to hear that there are still some teachers around who know how to instill a bit of discipline.

Ah them were the days...

"He does the military two-step down the nape of my neck" - (The Headmaster Ritual)

Reminded me of this...

Now that does take the biscuit.

I'm surprised now that PE in this PC world has sported an instance such as this. I'd have expected the pre-requisite of boys having to wear skirts or special make-up or even transgender sessions.

Reminds me.............

I don't think it's necessary to 'man up' and play Rugby as if it's going to instill some life lessons for a kid. I don't see any lessons learnt by this.

Rugby is a dangerous sport and if getting hurt helps you man up, why don't we just encourage the young lads to boxing without gloves on, or slap each other round the face with tennis rackets?

I swiftly ducked out of hurling classes in school as it was too damn scary for my liking. People got hurt all the time, so screw that for a game.

Who in their right mind would walk into a pitch with everyone swinging wooden sticks!?!

hurling4.jpg

Didn't make me less of a 'man' for ducking out of the class. Playing Gaelic football one time, I broke my arm (didn't know it was broke) but i kept playing on. So I'm not a wimp, I can take a hit and get on with it, but actively putting yourself in harm's way it's just stupid, not manly.

Unless of course you actually enjoy the sport, that's completely different.

It's heartening to hear that there are still some teachers around who know how to instil a bit of discipline.

Quite agree. At the risk of sounding like the beige brigade, I'd warrant a clip round the ear never did us any harm. Mob rule in the classroom these days with the children having a Childline Alert app to press if they are challenged about anything. I think it really has gone wrong since the eighties and tell that to parents today and they won't believe ya!

It's heartening to hear that there are still some teachers around who know how to instill a bit of discipline.
Totally agree.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of discipline, especially these days where the current (soft) generation of kids think they can do whatever they like. I remember being slapped so hard by my primary school headteacher I ended up sprawled on the classroon floor - all for forgetting my swimming trunks! Or the times I was given the belt/strap at highschool for misbehaving. I didn't tell my parents at the time becasue I would have been given another thumping. None of it never did me or my high school generation (late 70's/early 80's) any harm, but it taught us right from wrong. Theres' nothing wrong with having a bit of fear of your teacher, they shouldn't be your best friend.

High school should be where discipine/rules are taught. I see far too many kids/apprentices coming into where I work these days scruffily dressed or who stand around and chat all day or are unable to commumicate becasue they're not allowed their mobile phone in the office. Schools don't seem to prepare kids for the real world these days. They think they can run home from school and tell Mum or Dad and they'll get whatever they won't. How may stories do you hear about parents complaing about the school shoes they have to buy, or poor jonny has been sent home from school because he dyed his hair red? Follow the rules!

Yes, me getting punched by the headteacher was wrong, as was belting pupils, but IMO things have swung too far in the opposite direction, however, a bit of harsh language never did anyone any harm.

@gavinl1967 no it is not acceptable to be belted because you forgot your swimming kit, it wasnt then and it isn't now. that's not being too soft on people its called being a decent human being!

You wouldn't verbally abuse or physically abuse your apprentices as you would be sacked & possibly your company being taken to court, why then is it acceptable in the school??

They should drop the title PE Teacher and be called PE Instructors.

Most don't teach and they have a very cushy life compared with real teachers. They don't experience the stress or the responsibilities of being a real teacher.

Calling them teachers is an insult to real teachers.

Cheers,

Nigel

@gavinl1967 no it is not acceptable to be belted because you forgot your swimming kit, it wasnt then and it isn't now. that's not being too soft on people its called being a decent human being!

You wouldn't verbally abuse or physically abuse your apprentices as you would be sacked & possibly your company being taken to court, why then is it acceptable in the school??
You are 100% right, hitting a child with that much force is not acceptable, not then, not now. But I refer you to my previous post, is that how it REALLY happened? Embellished a bit for a forum story?
I have had the board rubber to the head. So have hundreds of other people. Physical violence? Yes. Did it do me any harm? No. Did it teach me not to turn round and chat to my mates? Damn right it did. There is a scale of seriousness.
And how about a PE teacher (instructor!) shouting at a group of kids? You really think that is a problem? So much so that you are thinking about reporting it to the school?
Imagine what comes next, your son bullied for the next 5 years because he's the one who's parents came in to school because the PE teacher shouted at him.
Schools take a very serious view on reports on teachers now. You could cost that guy his job. Seriously.

Reminds me.............

We had to clean our plates into a slop bucket before we put them down in a pile, a mate didn't clean his, jumped the pudding q, the deputy head bawled "Whos is this plate", saw me at the back and shouted "Come here boy" he then proceeded to rub the plate and left overs in my face. :D

We go him back a thousand fold before our time was up at senior school though. The bastard.

Our table was so bad we were moved next to the teachers dinner table, we still un-screwed the salt and pepper pot bases, polluted the teachers drinking water jug, threw peoples sandwich boxes in the bin.

I agree it wasn't acceptable then, and it isn't now. Physical abuse is never acceptable. However, IMO there are times where a good rollicking (not verbal abuse) never did anyone any harm. It certainly didn’t do so to my generation, so why this generation?

I have teacher friend who says their profession is crippled by rules which don't allow them to discipline pupils. It's no wonder kids leave school and come in to the big bad world believing they can do whatever they please. Teachers aren't there to be your friend, they are supposed to prepare you for life – and life isn't nice all of the time.

We had an old techy drawing teacher who would throw the board duster at you if you chatted in class. It happened once, no-one chatted again. You learned. We had a woodwork teacher whose party trick was to hammer a nail into a block of wood with his belt. You behaved in his class!

From my experience with my own kids, they come home these days and tell you everything that happened at school - totally different to my day. I told my folks nothing, not a sausage, what went on at school stayed in school. If my parents did get wind of an incident, I had to ask them not to go to the school, as I would likely end up getting bullied if they did. Changed days.

A wee aside about apprentices re shouting. We had an incident recently with a shop floor apprentice - they complained their tradesman had shouted at them. The tradesman was pulled in and asked to explain himself, to which he answered that he'd had to shout to be heard, as both him and the apprentice had been wearing ear defenders at the time of the incident – he was still told not to shout at an apprentice. Absolutely ridiculous IMO. I can guarantee if he had both taken off his ear defenders to talk to the apprentice, someone would have reported him for not wearing the correct ppe.

I am not going to just run off to the school no, I will wait and see how it pans out. I know my son, he is no liar, the story has also been corroborated by his friends and no I haven't embellished it one bit.

its worth pointing out that I too have had board rubbers thrown at me and it was well deserved too. It was well deserved not only because I was being an absolute nightmare but that it was also what was to be expected at the time (mid 90's) It is no longer to be expected and that is my point. My son wasnt the one that this was directed at, he was told however that he has to go to an after school club or he will get a detention, he doesnt want to go (yet) and he should not be getting a detention for it, that is verbal abuse in my mind as he is putting an emotional fear into the kids.

I will see what happens over the next few days, the club is supposed to be this afternoon and i don't think my son will go, his friend isn't going I know that much. I will not stand by and allow my son to have a detention with this teacher over not going to a club

I agree it wasn't acceptable then, and it isn't now. Physical abuse is never acceptable. However, IMO there are times where a good rollicking (not verbal abuse) never did anyone any harm. It certainly didn’t do so to my generation, so why this generation?

I have teacher friend who says their profession is crippled by rules which don't allow them to discipline pupils. It's no wonder kids leave school and come in to the big bad world believing they can do whatever they please. Teachers aren't there to be your friend, they are supposed to prepare you for life – and life isn't nice all of the time.

We had an old techy drawing teacher who would throw the board duster at you if you chatted in class. It happened once, no-one chatted again. You learned. We had a woodwork teacher whose party trick was to hammer a nail into a block of wood with his belt. You behaved in his class!

From my experience with my own kids, they come home these days and tell you everything that happened at school - totally different to my day. I told my folks nothing, not a sausage, what went on at school stayed in school. If my parents did get wind of an incident, I had to ask them not to go to the school, as I would likely end up getting bullied if they did. Changed days.

A wee aside about apprentices re shouting. We had an incident recently with a shop floor apprentice - they complained their tradesman had shouted at them. The tradesman was pulled in and asked to explain himself, to which he answered that he'd had to shout to be heard, as both him and the apprentice had been wearing ear defenders at the time of the incident – he was still told not to shout at an apprentice. Absolutely ridiculous IMO. I can guarantee if he had both taken off his ear defenders to talk to the apprentice, someone would have reported him for not wearing the correct ppe.

Life has moved on now though, both in school and in the workplace. There is no room for management by fear in the workplace these days, same for schools. What worked in the past doesn't mean that's the way it should be. We don't want our kids, future senior managers perhaps, to think that putting the fear of God in your subordinates is a path to success.

And what happens in school shouldn't stay there, the family should know about it. The school and parents combined have a better chance of keeping the child on the straight and narrow by working together.

There will always be assholes in the classroom, assholes as teachers and assholes in the general workplace - but let's not shape everyone's destiny around managing the assholes :)

Ah yes, life was so much better when adults could physically attack children without any consequences. To anyone condoning the hitting of children in this thread, explain to me what hitting a child actually achieves other than teaching them it's OK to get your point across by hitting weaker people than yourself?

Totally agree.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of discipline, especially these days where the current (soft) generation of kids think they can do whatever they like. I remember being slapped so hard by my primary school headteacher I ended up sprawled on the classroon floor - all for forgetting my swimming trunks! Or the times I was given the belt/strap at highschool for misbehaving. I didn't tell my parents at the time becasue I would have been given another thumping. None of it never did me or my high school generation (late 70's/early 80's) any harm, but it taught us right from wrong. Theres' nothing wrong with having a bit of fear of your teacher, they shouldn't be your best friend.

High school should be where discipine/rules are taught. I see far too many kids/apprentices coming into where I work these days scruffily dressed or who stand around and chat all day or are unable to commumicate becasue they're not allowed their mobile phone in the office. Schools don't seem to prepare kids for the real world these days. They think they can run home from school and tell Mum or Dad and they'll get whatever they won't. How may stories do you hear about parents complaing about the school shoes they have to buy, or poor jonny has been sent home from school because he dyed his hair red? Follow the rules!

Yes, me getting punched by the headteacher was wrong, as was belting pupils, but IMO things have swung too far in the opposite direction, however, a bit of harsh language never did anyone any harm.

At bit OTT, but I bet you never forgot your swimming trunks again !

There is a more serious issue here though than just kids being unprepared for the world of work. They also have no respect/fear of the police, hence the issue with moped gangs etc, they know they are untouchable. They think they can do what they want; because their whole life they have done what they wanted to, and never received any consequences.

How many times do you watch something like Police Interceptors, where they arrest some little scrote for nicking a car or whatever, and he's trying to fight them, calling them every "c" word in the book, and spitting at them ? Back in the day, they would have put him in the back of the van and giving him a good kicking on the way to the station ("he resisted arrest, Sarge"). Now, they have to treat them with kid gloves, before they get their community service order.

Ah yes, life was so much better when adults could physically attack children without any consequences. To anyone condoning the hitting of children in this thread, explain to me what hitting a child actually achieves other than teaching them it's OK to get your point across by hitting weaker people than yourself?

They learn that actions have consequences. They learn boundaries. If the handwringing, dripping wet liberal theory that hitting kids made them violent, we'd have a violence free society by now.

Funny that.

I can remember our games teacher absolutely insisting that he showered naked with all the boys after a lesson. How nice to see such dedication to the teaching profession back in the day.

I can remember our games teacher absolutely insisting that he showered naked with all the boys after a lesson. How nice to see such dedication to the teaching profession back in the day.

I'm sure he was just ensuring that proper hygiene standards were maintained :laugh:

Does make you look back and wonder. A friend of mine went to a pricey school. A few years after he left, his PE teacher of the time was questioned/accused about "shower-stuff". Later that day the teacher jumped off a cliff.

Last edited:
Life has moved on now though, both in school and in the workplace. There is no room for management by fear in the workplace these days, same for schools. What worked in the past doesn't mean that's the way it should be. We don't want our kids, future senior managers perhaps, to think that putting the fear of God in your subordinates is a path to success.

And what happens in school shouldn't stay there, the family should know about it. The school and parents combined have a better chance of keeping the child on the straight and narrow by working together.

There will always be assholes in the classroom, assholes as teachers and assholes in the general workplace - but let's not shape everyone's destiny around managing the assholes :)
What is the lad in question going to do when he's clothes lined or tackled in a rough manner, go tell his dad, that it isn't fair.
Fear has many facets, respect, accountability, expectations, authority, hierarchy, security, discipline, conscientiousness, stability, it's not just about life being equitable because it isn't, that's a utopia that only exists in fantasy land.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom