Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PE Teachers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by x3j3UKN, Sep 13, 2017.

1. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    are they all utter bell ends or just my sons??

He's a new year 7 and pretty nervous about starting high school. Had his first PE lesson on Tuesday where the teacher pretty much barked all the rules out and after everyone said if it was broken you'd get a detention.

Today had his second pe lesson and he said to another boy or group in general that he'd 'smack them round the face if he had too, but don't tell your parents that...' I've had this verified by my sons friend and I have zero reason to suspect it's a lie!! I'm utterly shocked that he thinks he can get away with verbal abuse.

Oh and to top it off he's said to them all that they have to join a club either after school or in lunch time, they are a big rugby school and it sounds like the whole class feels like they have to do Rugby after school tomorrow.

This is not the way to get people on board and get the best out of what will inevitably be a bunch of slightly scared 11 years olds, half of which have probably never played rugby in there lives!

My poor lad feels like he has no choice but to join rugby club tomorrow but is petrified of what he's going to be like! :mad:

2. George a L

George a L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Glad to see no changes since I was at school.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,792
    What's funny at a growing number of schools - rhe one where my wife works is one of them - is that due to the squeezing of budgets teachers are being told that they must nominate a second subject that they will teach should the need arise.

Most teachers take it in their stride but my how the PE teachers become nervous and squirm.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,618
    Probably the last of his kind that will turn a child into a real man.

Man up

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,648
    Don't worry, it's all of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Really??

So it's ok to verbally threaten someone who is a quarter your age and probably less then that the size? Some man you turned out to be...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    Welcome to year 7. Your little ones will change beyond recognition :) The stories will become even wilder than before. It’s also the year they’ll start loosing all English comprehension, even when they are in the top set.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    Why discriminate on size ;)

Seriously though, when was the last time you had to deal with I don’t know 7 groups of year 7, 8 and 9s each?

Listening to my daughters; the teachers trying to be their best friends get no respect whatsoever from the pupils in the school. Those who are disciplined still don’t but from a much smaller group.

And gosh yes; ours have been shouted at by their science teacher as well for breaking a test tube etc. Damn I remember getting a board rubber thrown at me for not keeping up with my naamvalle by my German teacher.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  9. wilbanat

wilbanat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,292
    It's difficult but when my kids are dropped off, they are in the care and rules of the school.
    If we wade in every time our kids get told off, then they soon lose respect for the teachers.
    Obviously any form of violence is not to be tolerated but sometimes a little fear keeps them on their toes ;)
    The truly terrifying teachers were the ones that never threaten, but you just knew :laugh:

10. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    If a teacher gets my kids off their phones and makes them run around and do some exercise especially a team building sport like rugby I couldn't care less if he shouted at them.
    I shout at mine all day just to get their shoes on, eat their breakfast and get the F out of bed so really him shouting to get them running makes no difference.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  11. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    I suppose if sport is not your sons forte he may struggle a bit, surely joining a club should be a voluntary matter.
    My games teacher was great, authoritarian just like my dad, he played rugby for a local club, so he was physically imposing with a big booming voice, even if you excelled at games like me I wasn't spared punishments when due. Not really a good idea to throw cricket wickets at each other when he trusted us to go out before him to set up the pitch.

12. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,618
    I'll highlight what I turned out to be and am proud to be called one with thanks to my school teaching me this through sports and discipline.
    If on the other hand my Daddy created a fuss everytime a teacher shouted at me and I was forced to play nothing more extreme than tiddlywinks then I fear I wouldn't be able to stand tall and call myself a man :p

Man up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,511
    Reality check!

14. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    I recall my PE teacher literally picking me up by my neck and throwing me against a brick wall for forgetting my shorts (again). I was in Middle school, so I must have been about 10. I reported the incident, but nothing came of it.

In my Upper school, we had a PE teacher that put somebody against the sports hall wall and invited the rest of the class to throw basketballs at him. This was because he was overweight and was struggling to keep up.

The same teacher gave me such an aggressive dressing down in his office once, that I found myself gripping hold of a cricket bat leaning against the wall behind me in case I needed to defend myself. I didn't - but I was scared.

In the same school, a DT teacher was sacked for tying a 13 year old's school tie to a table saw blade and threatening to turn it on. I never had this particular teacher - but I heard he was pretty handy with a board rubber too.

15. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    I'm welling up reminiscing about all these old teachers' traits . I think Teacher Training in the 70's must have been on the same course as the Royal Marines :D.

I'm sure I'm not alone in seeing the irony on two threads running at the moment
    1: Why is everyone getting so offended by everything?
    2: A PE teacher shouted at my child.

I went to school, dealt with whatever sh*t was dished out. Board rubber to the head? Probably deserved. Shouted at by RE Teacher (he was pure evil), I got over it. My kids have had run ins with tough teachers and other kids. I let them get on with it, they'll manage. Rather that than the teachers be too soft and let the unruly kids run riot. Then it brings the whole class down to the level of the troublesome kids.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    Yes he does have a choice. If he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't go. My eldest liked cricket, went to one of the club try-outs. Didn't like, didn't go again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    And that is exactly it - a good lesson to learn to stand up for himself....Although as the OP said that it is a big rugby school, it begs the question why go there ;)

18. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Let me get this clear, I am no 'daddy' who wraps up my kids in cotton wool and I am all for a bit of discipline and have no issues with my child facing the consequences should he break the rules. Those consequences however will not be physical abuse or the threat of it, this is 2017 and we have moved on from this sort of 'accepted' behaviour.

Same with the 'funny' teachers at school who turned out to be paedophiles, people turned a blind eye to them as 'thats the way he is' etc, well eventually the world made it known that this was not an acceptable way for an adult to behave towards a minor and it was rightly brought to the forefront of peoples minds and is now recognised for the sick and abhorrent behaviour it truly is.

I'd love my lad to get into rugby, it will make him a better man, however the approach is not threatening with physical violence or detentions if they don't join an after school club.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Oh he will be playing rugby, he cant get out of that as it is the outdoor winter sport for PE, thats tough luck and he will have to get stuck in.

There are other aspects to the school which made it the right one for my son, they have lots of facilities both sporting & academic and he will have an amazing time.

I am just surprised that we still have little hitler's in the schooling system to be honest, Year 7 is a new start for us as parents as much as the kids

20. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    it is a big change - they are the little fish in a big pond now and will grow up very rapidly....Been there done it, and have a second one in year 7 now...

Just wait until all the social media rubbish and arguments start ;)

21. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Yes currently we are social media free, i'm hoping that lasts till year 8 but I seriously doubt it!

22. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    Something I learned from my school time. What happened (actually really happened) and what I told my mates and what I told my parents are three very different things.
    Now, if my kids say something, it is treated with a pinch of salt. The amount of salt depends on the story. A school trip my lad went on last year. Apparently on the last night all the teachers got totally wasted, took all the 6th formers into town to buy them drinks etc. This is what my son told me. What actually happened, well I imagine it was somewhere between what he told me and a bottle of wine shared between 6 teachers. What actually happened, Don't know, Don't care.

Your son told you they were shouted at by a PE teacher. You call the teacher a 'little Hitler'. I think there is a bit of that exaggeration the kids come up with.
    Not all male teachers who smile at the boys are nonces either.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  23. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    Yup very wise - it won't last that long :)

24. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    Yep, my daughter is already asking when she can have a phone. She is year 5 in Primary! but all her friends have one.
    Either: 1, her friends do have one and their parents are weak morons, or 2: she has exaggerated the truth.

25. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,618
    Have you raised your concerns with the school?

26. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Currently no...

Will wait and see how this pans out.

I am certain the demand for clubs will drop after a couple of weeks, i'd love him to join one but its his choice, no point being forced to go and then hating it...

If the teacher continues to be OTT then I will of course raise a concern with the school, currently though he is off to school with a fatherly pep talk full of beans again.

27. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    I think it is 1....My daughter complained in year 5 when they had their disco that everyone is on their phone and nobody is talking to each other and dancing...For us year 7 is the first time to get a phone....

28. When In Rome

When In Rome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    Ah them were the days...

"He does the military two-step down the nape of my neck" - (The Headmaster Ritual)

Reminded me of this...

Now that does take the biscuit.

I'm surprised now that PE in this PC world has sported an instance such as this. I'd have expected the pre-requisite of boys having to wear skirts or special make-up or even transgender sessions.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  29. Jezza99

Jezza99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    PE teachers should be sadistic bullies, it's part of the job description. It's heartening to hear that there are still some teachers around who know how to instill a bit of discipline.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  30. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,618

Reminds me.............

If you don't eat your meat, you...