1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PE 30 Component Input!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by no_mates, Jul 17, 2004.

1. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Guys,

I have my dvd (Tosh XS32) connected to my PE30 via component, with a scart into AV4 for the sound, my problem is when I switch my PE30 on I get the RGB feed from the scart and not the component (AV4C)? Anyone any ideas, could even be a problem with the loop through on the DVD whichh I use to convert my NTL RGB signal to component!
    Anyone with the same set-up offer any suggestions?

Cheers

2. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No mates, sorry I haven't got the definative answer, but I had the same problem on a standard CRT. Basically the set would only receive information from the one input and the scart took priority. If you run the DVD player just using the RGB scart you will not loss hardly any picture quailty. The way I got round it in the end was by getting a dolby digital amp and then feed the 5.1 feed from the DVD player to the amp.
    Your system truly deserves a 5.1 amp.
    Changing the subject a bit, I myself have just ordered a 37" PE30, what is your opinion of the set? Are you happy with your choice, or do you wish you bought another model or didn't get a plasma at all?
    Any comments would be helpful.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    AV4-C is selected by using th coloured button on remote mate. I dont think you select it only component if the scart is physically there (i may be wrong.)

4. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies guys , I have a master plan, I'm gonna butcher the scart lead so that only the audio signal gets through and see if it defaults to component.
    Orlando - I am really chuffed with the 37" pe30, the picture on progressive from DVD is fantastic. I bought the floor stand too and it looks the dogs bol...., really well designed so you can hide all the cables! Sorry my answer isn't very techie,but I'm just an average punter, all I can say is that the money I spent on the plasma was a lot for me and I don't regret it one bit!

5. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem. The panny senses the control signals on the scart plug and overides the component input.

Solution: get a scart to RCA (phono) converter and connect your audio inputs to these. This way the scart control signals are not connected to the panny. Maplin sells these for around £7, but I've seen them for around £3 elsewhere.

5.1 not really the solution for everyday viewing when missus is using the tv on her own or the the children.

6. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What is the reason behind having to have the componet connected with the DVD player?
    Do an experiment and connect just using a RGB scart lead, I will bet you can not tell the difference in picture quality between that and the component.

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I think it's to do with the PE30 accepting progressive scan signals via the component inputs only, not SCART. Therefore if the guys above have a DVD player capable of progressive scan output they want the best connection format possible.

I agree that if you have a DVD player not capable of progressive scan then there will be little difference between SCART and component input. I've also read here that the PE30 has a pretty good built-in de-interlacer anyways so I'm not sure how much benefit there is to be gained by using progressive component over RGB SCART, only your own eyes will tell you that score.

S.

8. no_mates

no_mates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I personally find the component input much better than RGB scart but can't really see much difference between progressive and interlaced, maye be cause as Steve says the PE30 deinterlacer is up to the job. I watched bladerunner last night and it was if the film had been reshot with the set lighting turned up, might just have been that my TV settings weren't great before but I don't think so!

Norm.