1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDVD Codecs v NVidia Codecs with ZP Pro picture comparison

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by inzaman, Jan 6, 2005.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    As there has been some discussions just recently on the differing codecs i thought i would post two side by sides of Zoomplayer Pro using the PDVD 5 Codecs + ffdshow, and then ZP Pro using the Nvidia Codecs + ffdshow.

You can see from the pictures that the PDVD 5 Codecs when used with ZP show some jaggies in the shirt (the first picture), these are gone when using NVidia codecs (the second picture).

I was quite surprised by the differences when i first selected the NVidia codecs.

I am not using a NVidia Graphics card but a Radeon 9600 fanless DVI into my Z2 projector.

Attached Files:

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870
    Where did you get the Nvidia Codecs? Are they installed when using a NVidia graohcis card?

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The nVidia codecs come with TheaterTek 2.0 or you can buy just the codecs from nVidia themselves, though I think you have to do some twiddle to make them work with anything other than Media Player or nVidia's own DVD player, ie. ZoomPlayer.

They don't come with nVidia's graphics cards, unless there's a brand that has licensed them specifically for a bundling deal.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,870

Ok, thanks. Are they actually called DVD Codecs?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, in referring to them we drop the 'DVD'. :) Actually, in fact they decode more than just DVDs, ie. MPEG-2, the nVidia codecs also handle .TS files (which is how PVRs record things like HiDef cable broadcasts) among others.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    As Kragorn has already stated, i got mine from the NVidia site i think they were about $20. In ZP Pro you can then select which codecs to use once they are installed

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Inzaman, do they 'just work' with ZP or did you have to do a registry twiddle? I was sure I'd read someone say 'out of the box' they only work with Media Player or nVidia's DVD player. I presume there's an activation step too, is it once and for all do is there re-activation is the hardware changes, one of the big annoyances with TheaterTek.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Kragorn, after installation i just selected them in the ZP options after ZP has done the search for them. i.e they now appear as selectable codecs and all i did for the picture comparison was select pdvd codecs for the pdvd picture, then select the nvidia codecs for the nvidia comparison.

The only registry changes i have to make with the nvidia codecs is when i have to change PAL from 0 to 1 depending on the material. This is a bit of a pain but only takes a second or so, but it is worth it though due to the gains.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay thanks, clearly I misunderstood whatever it was I read and thought inferred that they didn't appear in ZP's codec list automatically.

The PAL thing is one of the nice things about using TT, Andrew auto-detects PAL or NTSC and sets the flag accordingly .. the guy who writes ZP refuses to do this apparently, saying FFDSHOW should do it (which of course in an ideal world it should).

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I do want to get TT but am waiting until a few more versions have been released and it is running relatively smoothly as i dont have my hcpc connected to the internet so it will be painful keep updating TT every month or so.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the problem with TT is compounded by the fact that it's using new codecs and if you've an nVidia card like I have nVidia can't release stable graphics drivers when they add new features .. thus 3 components are still work in progress to some extent. *sigh*

I'm fed up fighting the HTPC and am looking to get a Lumagen on loan just to see how a PC compares to a custom-designed deinterlacer/scaler .. at least there's only one software developer involved. :)