PDP436XDE Processing

mremulator

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have had my 436 for about a month now and am very pleased with it on the whole. Anyway, only yesterday, a guy at my local dealer told me that I should turn of "DNS" when setting up the contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness & tint using my Ovation Software DVD. However, I was wondering if I should turn of "Pure Cinema", "CTI" and any other processing features also?

Most of the time I'm watching DVD's via HDMI and was wondering if I should just turn of all processing as the signal is digital anyway? The only problem is I'm sure SKY would benefit from DNR and possibly Pure Cinema (not 100% on what this actually does)?

I've found the pure cinema to give a lot of artefacts on my setup, if I am surfing up/down channels and the SKY EPG is showing at the bottom (White text on Blue Background, the text, as it changes quickly looks awful, like its interlaced or something..) it doesn't always do it, but when it does, argghhhh.. so I leave it off, and its been fine every since..

With the MPEG Noise Reduction and DNR< I have left them to mid, as it does 'smooth' out a lot of SKY artefacts, it's a small compromise for a smooth looking picture..

mremulator said:
Hi,
I have had my 436 for about a month now and am very pleased with it on the whole. Anyway, only yesterday, a guy at my local dealer told me that I should turn of "DNS" when setting up the contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness & tint using my Ovation Software DVD. However, I was wondering if I should turn of "Pure Cinema", "CTI" and any other processing features also?

Most of the time I'm watching DVD's via HDMI and was wondering if I should just turn of all processing as the signal is digital anyway? The only problem is I'm sure SKY would benefit from DNR and possibly Pure Cinema (not 100% on what this actually does)?
Well, I don't sit in front of the telly right now, but as I remember, if you send a progressive signal from your DVD player the Pure Cinema mode is blanked out/off anyway(only "off" is selectable). It will not work unless you give an interlaced signal as 576/480i through HDMI, component or scart.
I only use it if I send 576/480i through HDMI from my DVD player. CTI I always have turned off. I think the NR features works better now than it did with previous models. I use DNR on medium/low as necessary and MpgNr on low.
I don't think it degrades the PQ in anyway, it just removes noise in the picture and makes it better.

I have DNR set to low. Turn of Pure Cinema when you watch TV. Set Pure Cinema on ADV when you watch DVD (HDMI).

TrondB said:
Turn of Pure Cinema when you watch TV. Set Pure Cinema on ADV when you watch DVD (HDMI).
Very strange... I have a Pio 868 and haven't got that option when I watch progressive DVD(HDMI). It may be that the 868 also has the pure cinema mode when outputting progressive signals?
I can only set it to ADV when it's 480i material. Do you have the ADV mode on both PAL and NTSC? Do you output progressive or interlaced signals?

Munin said:
Very strange... I have a Pio 868 and haven't got that option when I watch progressive DVD(HDMI). It may be that the 868 also has the pure cinema mode when outputting progressive signals?
I can only set it to ADV when it's 480i material. Do you have the ADV mode on both PAL and NTSC? Do you output progressive or interlaced signals?

You only get ADV when you play back NTSC discs.

Ok, but what is the actual benefit of selecting Pure Cinema "ADV" for NTSC sources? Why not just leave it off if you have a decent DVD player and are using HDMI?

I also agree with what Munin said about DNR, I don't think it degrades the picture quility. It certainly helps with SKY, however, when SKY HD launches I think I'll leave it off all the time.

Just wish I could get my head around this Pure Cinema feature.

Who knows the benefits of the others options like DRE (dynamic contrast, black-level ACL, gamma) or CTI?
Who knows the difference between the 75Hz and 100Hz setting, I don't see any difference (no more buzzing with the 100Hz setting)?

mremulator said:
Ok, but what is the actual benefit of selecting Pure Cinema "ADV" for NTSC sources? Why not just leave it off if you have a decent DVD player and are using HDMI?
From what I can understand the Pure Cinema "ADV" plays 24fps NTSC @72Hz, instead of 60Hz(3:3 pulldown instead of 3:2). Should create a smoother/better picture. It's the way cinemas etc. showing movies.
goatlips said:
You only get ADV when you play back NTSC discs.
OK, I've checked. I can choose "ADV" on NTSC disks. If I output interlaced I also have the option to select Pure Cinema "Standard"(3:2 pulldown) or Pure Cinema "ADV"(3:3 pulldown). If you output progressive signals it's the DVD player that does the 3:2 pulldown.

Advanced cinema mode is for 60Hz flm source material (ie R1 DVD) It removes the judder caused by the telecine process of turning 24 frames per second film in to 60FIELDS per second video. It does this by de-interlacing the video material to the original 24 frames then repeating them at 72Hz in a 3:3:3:3:3 SEQUENCE. It DOES appear to alter frame rate on PAL sources and the effect can be seen easily using ticker tape on something like Bloomberg. Swap between Adv and Normal and you'll see judder induced by the thing going to 75hz instead of 50 (I believe).

You should have PURE CINEMA set to OFF if you send progressive signal to unit and ADVANCED for R1 discs and NORMAL for everything else. You will see the de-interlacing trip up with some material with it set to NORMAL when watching normal TV. On the whole it should be better than being off though.

The NR functions smooth the image as has been noted but they do it by lopping out all the HF detail. The thing can't work out what is noise and what is fine detail so it just removes it all. I would generally only apply them if you have a really noisy source or want to smooth out some of the nasties you get on the footy.

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom