1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP435XDE vs NEC 42XM3/42XR3

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mattyboy_W, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Over the past three months I've been reading threads from this forum and learned a huge amount about plasma screens. It's a fantastic source of information.

I've reduced my choice down to the Pioneer PDP435XDE and the NEC 42XM3. Originally also considered the Panasonic TH42PHD7 but have ruled it out following the comments about compatibility with Sky HDTV in 2006.

From previous comments from other members and my own investigation :

PDP435XDE
    Pros
    - looks great when its off - piano black surround
    - neat separate connection box including freeview to keep all of the cables separate from the screen (One HDMI cable plus power for the screen)
    - Excellent picture with DVDs - HDMI compatible
    - Compatible with Sky HDTV

Cons
    - Quality questionable with freeview and Sky - particularly Sport. I've yet to see one demo that I thought was excellent with digital TV.
    - More expensive - although prices have come down (approx £2,800)

NEC 42XM3 (black) or 42XR3 (silver)
    Pros
    - Excellent picture with DVDs - HDMI/DVI compatible
    - Compatible with Sky HDTV
    - So far no bad reports about PQ with Freeview/Sky
    - Price (approx £2,500)

Cons
    - Not the best looking when it's off - better suited to a boardroom
    - No separate connection box - may mean more cables to the screen
    - Plasma connections are on the right-hand side as you look at the screen and visible from the side

I'm getting a demo of the 42XM3 next Friday (21st Jan) and will report findings.

Would appreciate any comments and views on the selected shortlist plus reasons why I should select one over the other. AV-Sales appear to get excellent reviews and sell both plasmas but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

2. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not opt for the 42XR3 which has a silver surround which looks more stylish for my tastes :) From my experience of NEC plasmas while the connections are located on the side there is an instep therefore the cables are still hidden behind the display panel. I took a good look at an NEC 50MP2 i.e. 50" plasma, at the gym today and must say it is the best Sky Digital picture I have ever seen on a plasma. It was Sky Sports cricket at the time and it was rendered very well indeed with very little trace of the low bitrate artifacts.

3. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Neelix for the reply. I haven't had chance to see the XR3 or XM3 and so didn't know how far back the connections were set. It's got to be black (the wife's choice) and 42" is big enough for the room. I'm very interested to get a demo of Sky or Freeview on the XM3. If the quality beats the PDP435XDE then the decisions made.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Right now my money would be on the NEC, I was about to swap my PW6 for a 435XDE, but I saw one today and really couldn't live with it using SKY as I watch alot of sport and it just can't do it very well.
    But I understand that the NEC is very good with sport from people who have had panasonics and gone to the NEC units.

Problem is I don't know whether it is worth the change at this time.
    How much will I get for my PW6 with a dual input board? and the nec is £2600 so it will cost me a good £1400.
    I know I am getting a HD panel but I have seen HD running in the states on the SD and the HD 6 series panasonics right next to each other, and from about 6ft and further away you are really having to study the picture to pick out the differences.

5. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone actually seen Sky Sports on an NEC 42XM3 or 42XR3 ? Is there anyway of improving the PDP435XDE picture for Sky Sports e.g. using a processor between the Sky box and the 435XDE box ?