1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pdp435xde - TV picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dodgyd, Aug 8, 2005.

1. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi all,

I'm now getting pretty close to purchasing a pdp435xde or a th37pv500. I've read a few reviews today that say the pdp435xde doesn't cope too well with pictures from the tuner (either digital or anologue) but pictures from DVD are great.

This worries me, I'll be watching a fair amount of broadcast TV.

Back in the real world (and away from laboratory reviews), what are the experiences of pdp435xde owners regarding broadcast TV pictures?

Thanks,
    Dave.

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have sky feeding into the pio via a rgb scart, converted to component and picture is very good. I can't view the internal tuner (not got an aerial). I would say the pio does expose low quality feeds.

3. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely the reason I'm not considering the Pioneer, turn it off and it looks the most stylish plasma on the market - put High Def video on it and it looks mighty impressive, but then if you had HD even on a Tiny plasma, it would look out of this world :)

I've taken a look at various plasmas with Freeview and I dont know whether its just me, but I have found the Sony plasmas to be ace each time with a far superior, cleaner picture and more vibrant colour than even the top of the range Panasonic, Pioneer etc.

Its obviously got to do with the WEGA picture processing engine, its class - especially when it comes to improving low quality SD pic.

That's why I'm considering the SOny 42M1 - priced at £1400 or so - its a non-HD tv, but with Freeview, it has pic quality that will rival if not surpass any Panasonic or Pioneer HD-ready plasma in the market, that i have no doubt.

4. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have had my xde since Feb. and Where I live I should not be able to recieve digital freeview but the BBc channels are better than I get on Sky aqnd Sky is very good but a little soft on channels with a low bit rate.

5. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    you really need to go to a good av dealer and see one set up properly with good feeds, you'll get lots of people telling you to get the panny as the blacks are poor on the pio (utter crap :boring: ) and that sky is poor (again crap :boring: ) the panny seems to have its fair share of probs if you read this forum

I've had mine for around 2 month now, decent leads and good input strength, and am totally in awe of it in any environment

6. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have to say i'm very much with Ikon on this, I was worried initially but i still find it strange that there was so much negative feedback regarding sky on this screen. I find the sky pics and freeview excellent, it definately gets better after the first couple of hundred hours, I initially thought that sport wasn't looking too great but now it looks perfect to me. Watched cricket yesterday and I just cannot find anything wrong with the images at all.

7. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Encouraging feedback, thanks all. Home Cinema Choice gave it 4/5 in Jan or Feb 2005 based on a £4500 price, it's now £2300 or so with 2 return flights to the US (which I will actually use).
    I think I'm gonna buy it :)
    Dave.

8. SteveBradley

SteveBradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I live in the Middle East and the quality of satellite feeds here are variable to say the least. The receiving equipment is also basic (composite only output), I up convert via the AVR300 to component and pq is excellent on all except old BBC stuff (Dads Army, Are You Being Served, etc).

As has been said before the pq via HDMI is "as good as it gets"

Hope this helps

Steve