1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP435XDE connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeW, Mar 18, 2005.

1. MikeW

MikeW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool: I am almost certianly going to purchase a PDP435XDE in the next month or so and I was pondering over my connections. Initially there should be no problems when I am playing DVD's and games as I have a Sony DAV-S800.

The problem comes when I want to get a HDMI DVD player (definitely needed) and still have the sound coming through my Sony DAV-S800 surround sound system? Forgive me for being naive, but if I connect a HDMI DVD player to the plasma screen and then output the sound to my DAV-800 it will no longer be in 5.1 sound? Is there an easy fix or will I need to purchase a new dedicated surround sound receiver. :cool:

2. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Mike,

I was in the exact same position with the same tv and same Sony DAVS800. Bought a HDMI DVD player to view the picture and I have a digital optical cable running from the DAVS800 into the dvd player. I changed the sound output on the dvd player from pcm to bitstream and now I am getting dolby digital/dts from the DAVS800 (Well I havn't had a chance to watch a film in full yet but it says dd on the front display).

I now need an optical switcher so I can switch the sound from dvd to sky when needed.

Hope this helps.

3. MikeW

MikeW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers BIGMAX for your prompt reply. What you said sounds really good! I'll have to give it a go when I purchase the plasma tv. Incidentally, what was the picture like before you bought a HDMI DVD player?

4. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    To be honest the picture from the Sony dav through svideo was excellent and when I first played the dvd on the hdmi (samsung hd945) it was only slightly better. But since then I have had a chance to fiddle with the settings and I can say that the hdmi picture is fantastic. Well worth the cheap price of the dvd player. It's amazing what a difference playing around with the settings does for the different inputs.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    glad you got sound sorted bigmax :smashin:

6. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers Mep, I've posted my thanks on the dvd forum for your tip. Its good to be able to pass on good advice kindly given in these forums.