1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP435XDE Component - Sound Input?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ap69, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Apologies for what is undoubtedly a very naive question.

I'm going to start using the component inputs on my XDE for the first time (currently only use the HDMI and Scart connectors).

Can anyone explain:
    1. Ignoring brands/build quality, are all component leads of the same type?
    2. Do the leads carry sound? If not what additional cables do I need for this? I have no surround sound/amp setup, just the Pioneer plasma speakers attached and wired to the screen.

Many thanks for any help.

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The only thing to watch is that sometimes they use BNC connectors not phono. For example my PDP502 uses 3 BNCs so my component lead from Mark Grant was 3 phono to 3 BNC. You can use readily available phono to BNC convertors from maplins if you cable does not come in a choice of terminations.

You can also make your own from 3 phono to phono video leads (ie composite). Just use some coloured cable ties to identify them. This is what I had to do when I first got my Pioneer as I was in Paris and component was not a commonly used connection at the time.

No sound is not included. I think You pioneer will also have a couple of regular (red and white) phono inputs for sound. So any hi fi analogue cable will do. as most equipment will have separate phono audio outs.

3. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks rdhir
    By "BNC" I assume you mean the termination point/entry point into the Pio media box? If so I'll check on this.
    I think the Phono inputs for sound on the 435 are on the front of the media box, which is a real pain aesthetically.

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes basically most DVDs will be phono/RCA type. My Pioneer does not have a media box so I can't help more. I've just bought mark grant cables, and they are brilliant (if a bit enormous) and not overly expensive compared with some out there. (See powerbuys for more details)

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    ap69 - the odds are your DVD will have phono (also known as RCA) connectors, and this is what the Pioneer mediabox has too. However audio is a pain in the backside. If I remember correctly you will need *in addition to* component video cable, a scart lead wired for audio from the DVD player. Unfortunately the Pioneer component and number 2 scart sockets are "shared".

If you are lucky the DVD will output audio from scart as well as doing component video. You should be able to run scart-scart from the DVD *and* component video both to the plasma. In the plasma menu select component input for input 2 to distinguish it from the scart signal it will also be getting.

If your player doesn't do audio via scart when outputting component, or doesn't have a scart, then you will need a cable with audio phonos at one end, and a scart at the other. This will connect to the red+white phonos on the DVD player, and as above into scart 2 on the plasma. However I am quite sure the standard scart to scart will do the job.

Regarding quality of cables - it needn't be expensive to get very good cabling. But generally speaking all the cheaper stuff is badly shielded and sometimes not even a true 75ohm coax (required for video signalling). Mark Grant uses Belden cores which are considered the best in the industry, yet aren't gonna cost you an absolute fortune. For our jobs the top gear gets belden or balck rhodium, the rest gets van damme which performs surprisingly well against much more expensive competition.

n.b i'm working from memory, it might actually be input 1.