1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP435 vs PV500B comparison review

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bishman, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The July edition of 'Home Cinema' magazine has done a hi-def plasma group test, including the two forum favourites, the Pioneer 435 XDE and the Panasonic TH-42PV500. Also included where the Fujitsu P42HHA40 and the Hitachi 42PD7200.

The burning question though, is which one is better, the Pioneer or the Panasonic. Marked on Value for money, picture quality, sound quality and build quality, they each get 5 stars in every category. There is one exception, the Pioneer only gets 4 out of 5 for sound quality.

So there you have it, the Pioneer is rubbish as it doesn't score 5 in every category.

Only kidding, in fact in the conclusion they say that this is one of the hardest times that they have had picking an outright winner. The Panasonic just edged out the Pio but they do say that it was a majority, rather than a unanimous decision.

So what have we learned? According to them, both sets are excellent and so I guess we are still left with a personal choice to make. My thought is that whatever one you buy you won't be dissapointed.

2. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Way to go PV500!!! :)

3. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  4. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Listed in the order, value for money, picture quality, sound quality, build quality and overall:

Fujitsu 3 5 3 4 4
    Hitachi 5 4 4 5 4
    Panasonic 5 5 5 5 5
    Pioneer 5 5 4 5 5

5. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @bishman:

When you say 'Home Cinema' magazine, I guess you mean Home Cinema Choice (This one? [​IMG])

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Viewing them side by side there's nothing in it.

The Panasonic contrast runs at 3000:1 and so the blacks arguments for it begins to diminish on the HD model. It still is marginally better though.

The Pioneer has the better looking frame and is a modular solution. Pity the floor stand is still extortionate pricing.

Both are pretty poor with Freeview or terrestrial sources :thumbsdow

With the current deals on both models there is a not a lot in it.

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Nope, not HCC. When I say 'Home Cinema' magazine, I actually meant, 'Home Cinema', magazine :D

The name is printed in big white letters and it has a badge proclaiming, 'from the makers of what hi*fi? sound and vision'. I've brought it several times, so it's been around for a while.

Here's a link the the web site:
    http://www.homecinemamag.com/

8. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

So it's all down to looks then - The majority of people prefer the simple, stylish look of the Pioneer, theres also the extra 1 inch - ladies and Gentelmen we have a winner.

Pio's rule.

9. des_pd_ tdi

des_pd_ tdi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the Panny is excellent with freeview, much better than Sky and that's also pretty decent. For those that watch Sky or freeview the Panny is the one to go for, but it also excels at DVD so it's a very good all rounder.

Des

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The poor scaling of SD broadcast was exactly that.....poor. The PV500 is certainly not *excellent* in that respect.

In the looks department, once again personal preference, the Pioneer is very minimalist and stylish and less bulky yet with another inch on display.

11. silentsleeper

silentsleeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh opinion as fact. don't you just love it :)

12. des_pd_ tdi

des_pd_ tdi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Panny for two weeks and there is nothing poor about it.

I was going for the Pioneer but changed my mind when I saw this set at a Panasonic shop. The £500 saving including a wall bracket was just too much of a temptation even if the Pioneer is an inch bigger. This debate could rage on for months but the deciding factor for potential buyers is that the magazines are rating the Panny over the Pio.

Des

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Well without basing bias from an owners angle or VFM approach I would suggest people go out and demo and see for themselves. :)

Magazine ratings don't count for an awful lot around here even at the best of times.

I'm also not talking which one is the better offer but the way Freeview is displayed.

The PE50 range also does a better job than the PV500 for Freeview. But then your eyes may suggest otherwise ??

14. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,333
    Ah but the magazine reviews said the pio was rubbish when it first came out,
    the hitachi reviews top marks and now not top marks the same with the fuji ,judder on fast moving scenes with the hitachi er me thinks not .

There's not much difference on any of the screens with sky,cable or digi box signal imho .

15. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is there a way the you can scan the review for the pioneer that we can see the review....?

16. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko star it is clear your opinion is that the pe50 is better on freeview than the pv500 but i too think the opposite.When i saw both together at hughes the clear winner showing freeview was the 500 as was everything on it tbh.Just goes to show different showroom,different eyes blah blah ....

17. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You keep saying how the PQ quality is poor on free view and SD TV, your wrong I own a PV500 and its the best quality PQ I have seen in a demo . Do you own one???? NO

Stop slagging it off, I have done the demos, done the rounds and have to say I get a great quality picture. What plasma is better on Freeview please tell me because you keep going on about this, its getting really (yawn ) ah I cant be bothered.

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yawn :boring: .....you always get this when someone gets their new toy...boring :rolleyes:

Blinkers on and *my set is the best & nothing else is close* mentality prevails..... :boring:

19. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I do not own a PV500, but have seen one first hand with SD & HD material, both are amazing. I have also tested the Pioneer and it's really not that great with stuff like Sky. As a plus point on the Panasonic I also do not need the stupid media box that I would have to have with the Pioneer! :devil:

I'm not going to plummit for either though, until I see the PHD8 in Autumn, which I'm sure will be much better looking than both the PV500 & PDP435. :D

20. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No not really, I spent 8 months looking and taking demos, and watching material I knew what the quality would be like. Fine you dont rate the PV500, dont buy one.

All I can say is IMHO the picture quality was better than the Pioneer. Thats my choice do you own the above 2 screens ????? Hmmmmm NO

I did my demos in AV shop, Im not some gimp that just follows the crowd. How many times do you need to post about the PV500 and freeview. Thats all you can ever say.

The freeview is better in my view than sky, the picture quality play back with my set up is very good and Im happy.

Dont preach to me about new kit, you dont know me!!! no nothing of my likes or dislikes.

If you dont rate the PV500 who gives a flying fluxer, I buy good kit that I like that I can hear and dont waste money following brands. Why would I have blinkers on, what are you trying to say the PV500 is a crap plasma, whats better?? Please tell us OH GREAT WISE ONE OF THE PLASMAS.

I like my Plasma I have to watch it!!!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not you. :D

21. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,333
    Smargi if you go to the top of the page theirs a list of plasma reviews .

How can anyone say that their plasma is the best when the 3 big players in the tv style plasma's now have 3 crackers out all at the same time .

I bet any lay person would hard pressed to tell the difference between any of the test screens for normal tv viewing .

22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Totally agree there are some crackers out there and the choice is far far closer than it's ever been. I like Pannys generally myself but a bit hard pressed to decide at the moment.

23. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep u cant go far wrong with the latest plasma's at the moment and as ekko said earlier there are some decent lcd's coming out soon such as the new philips and sharp's which i would guess will all have top pq.

24. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    does anyone know what is the native resultion of the pdp-435hde according to the pioneer web is 1024x768 and the different between the HDE and the XDE is only in the digital tuner but now I see the reviews and it write 1280x768 for the XDE model is this a right...?

25. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think you're right there Neilios. The magazine review that I mentioned in the first instance said that there was hardly anything between the Panny and the Pio. The Panny won by a majority decision, not a unanimous one, so there's certainly more than enough justifaction for anyone that owns the Pio.

I haven't got either yet, still playing the waiting game. I'm tempted by both but don't have an urgent need for a hi-def screen. That will change by November with the Xbox 360 coming out, then there will be a new Pioneer model in the mix too. With the new Samsubg just around the corner, it's all getting very interesting.

26. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,333
    The funny thing i really wanted the pio ,but it took over 9 months of nagging to get the ok from the missus and by that time the hitachi had come out with a shed load of connections at 700 notes cheaper ,so i ordered one .

Then because it took so long to come the panny finally came out and i rushed down to the shop with my dvd player and had a mess about .
    To be honest the panny still has the lead in detail in dark scenes over both screens ,but colour wise i dont think there,s much in it now all 3 screens show bright vibrant colours with excellent detail .

At the end of the day its each to is own and i do know one thing i'll never go back to a crt set again and you have to make a decision based on your own personal tastes .

27. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm hard to call this one as you would in all honesty need to feed the same signal into both machines in the same room and then judge. I guess not many have had the chance to do this.

For what it is worth I saw the panny running a HD video feed in one store, and then the pioneer in another store 10 minutes later running a HD sattelite feed. It was like night and day to my eyes, the panny just wiped the floor with the pioneer, but it was hardly a fair comparison for reasons stated above.

I felt that neither of them came even close on freeview to the quality of my crt trinitron. What is with the lego bricks around on screen text?

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello all

Just a few thoughts/pointers:

smargi - I doubt the publishers of Home Cinema would be overly happy with the owners of AVForums if they allowed folk to scan in pages of magazines they don't have copyright clearance for; go buy the magazine!

The 435XDE/FDE are 1024x768 and the 505XDE is 1280x768 - the 05HDE models are not sold into the UK so don't get much of a mention on the AVForums.

neilios - if you were being pedantic you would say the 435FDE got a pasting in one magazine when Pioneer UK sent them a duff pre production unit; not the smartest move ever!!!

Screen+Media Box vs. All-inclusive - I have to say that one big advantage I've seen with the Media Box approach has been the fact that if anything is ever likely to go wrong with an XDE its invariably NOT the screen and its a much simpler job to swap out a Media Box than it is to demount a Screen and start removing its innards.

XDE vs. PV500 - which manufacturer will have the bigger smile with these Head to Head reviews; the one with the Brand New models or the one with NEW Models arriving in a couple of months time!

I wonder will the bar rise when Pioneer bring out an 06XDE range.

Best regards

Joe

29. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Wouldn't surprise me if the new Pioneers had something like 2 HDMI slots and a few extra features as well. We shall wait and see :)

30. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having seen the pio 435 and pv50 side be side in sevenoaks in edinburgh, fed from a terrestrial lead, and using a pio 668 dvd, component to the pany and hdmi lead to the pioneer, i came to the conclusion,

DVD
    1) I couldnt really tell if the pany was darker.
    2) the pio had SO much more detail and colour on the screen that...

terrestrial feed
    1) This looked awful on the pio
    2) But tolerable on the terrestrial feed.

i Hadnt seen sky through either, but given the far, far superiour DVD picture on the pio, id have to go with that.
    However im now waiting for what pio bring out in november?? as i prefer the aesthetics of the pio and want to see if theyve sorted out this aspect of it

All above IMHO