PDP-LX5090 Screen Wear

richard_t

Established Member
Reaction score
My new Pioneer 5090 is arriving tomorrow hopefully and while i'm excited, something has been bothering me over the last couple of days...screen wear.

Basically it's going into a dedicated room and will used purely for watching films on, no TV or videogames at all. My concern is that with that in mind, 99% of films will be either 2.35/2.40:1 or 1.85:1 and there are therefore going to be bars top and bottom of the screen were the phosphors are literally getting no use at all. If i follow the sensible running in precautions when first using the screen, how many hours is it likely to be before it's noticeable that it's had less wear in certain locations?

To be fair, it's ordered and paid for now and so there's nothing I can do about it anyway. It's unlikely to get more than perhaps 10 hours a week usage though in reality, so if we're talking more than 4 or 5 thousand hours then i'll likely have moved on by that time and my mind will be at rest. :confused:

i think it will be very difficult to answer your question.
but one possibility will be to download one of the screenwash discs, and run that once in a while, that will make it more uniform.
but the lifetime on a ålasma today is really long, panasonic says 100.000 hours before the output is halved i think.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought about that, but surely it'll make no difference?

Unless I'm wrong, all that will do is wear the screen uniformly a tiny percentage, but then the effects (if there are any) of not using the top and bottom areas of the screen the rest of the time will still be there. Just on top of the wear the disc you refer to has had on the whole screen?

it will even it out a little, you can play it in zoom setting so it fills the screen.
but as i say, i dont know how much of a problem it will be, as i use my plasma for tv to, and try to fill the screen some of the time.

To be fair, it's ordered and paid for now and so there's nothing I can do about it anyway. It's unlikely to get more than perhaps 10 hours a week usage though in reality, so if we're talking more than 4 or 5 thousand hours then i'll likely have moved on by that time and my mind will be at rest. :confused:

Hi richard. :)
The hours you use a week won't make any difference it's the "actual" content you watch on the screen that matters.
To prevent uneven wear (eventually burn in) just leave the TV running on say a full screen DVD a couple times a week or whatever. :smashin:
All the best.

Not trying to be funny, but if the phosphors are literally getting no use at all, would it actually matter if there was some slight degree of burn in? In other words, if you aren't going to be using them anyway, they're effectively just an extension to the bezel.

Not trying to be funny, but if the phosphors are literally getting no use at all, would it actually matter if there was some slight degree of burn in? In other words, if you aren't going to be using them anyway, they're effectively just an extension to the bezel.

If all films were the same aspect ratio then i guess it wouldn't. However my fear i suppose is having to watch a 1.85:1 film where the top and bottom of the frame has bars that are slightly brighter than the rest of the image. Due to watching a lot of 2.35:1 images previously and therefore not worn the phosphors in those areas.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom