1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP Driver - What is it?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BliarOut, Jun 6, 2005.

1. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help,

I'm having a battle with my insurers. Basically, a huge flash of lightning occured outside and a black vertical band appeared on my screen.

I have been told on here when it originally happened that the most likely fault is a blown panel driver. What exactly is a panel driver? Is it an amp of some sort, and will it be voltage sensitive?

I suspect my insurer has a report saying my TV needs a new PDP, without going into detail about the fault. They are claiming the failure is "normal wear and tear" on a 14 month old set.

What annoys me is I saw it fail at exactly the same time as the lightning flashed.

The best description I have heard so far of what probably happened is:

"So it was effectively connected to two incoming cables - the cable TV signal cable and the mains? That is an ideal setup for zapping things with lightning. The lightning strike sets up a potential gradient in the ground, and the two cables sample the potential gradient at widely differing points and apply it directly to your delicate kit. "Directly" has a slightly different meaning where lightning is concerned, too - the huge voltages and very short rise times effectively mean there's no such thing as insulation."

I could really do with some help putting my case together here. Any background on the technicalities would be appreciated. I am certain the lightning caused the failure, but obviously I need to provide a concrete technical case for my insurers.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help you with the technical side of your claim, but I think whatever arguement you put forward to show the lightening strike is to blame your insurance company will put it down to an Act of God.

Most insurance companies have small print denying liability for Acts of God. :thumbsdow

Good luck tho'.

3. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have lightning cover!

Apparently it's the scan IC that's blown. Apparently this is common on LG plasmas. Has anyone else heard this?

4. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    important thing to remember with insurers, NEVER try and claim on faulty goods or "ACTS OF GOD" you wont get a penny out of em even if your names Jesus Christ.

Get accidental damage cover then throw the damn thing on the floor, unfortunately its the only way you can get money out of these blood suckers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well at 14 months the Panel should have lasted anyway so its either a FOC repair from LG or if LG write a report saying its Lightening damage not a panel fault send that to insurers