1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP 505 + DVD advice please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkTy, May 22, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the point of buying a Pioneer PDP 505XDE

I would appreciate advice on whether this is the best 50" HD ready screeen to go for, and the best place to buy it (Cheapest/reliable if it's via mail order only company)

Also some advice please on the best HD DVD surround sound system to link it in to.
    (SHould I buy a separate DVD player and surround sound...or an all in surround sound)

Thanks

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    There are 2 others to consider, the new 50" fujitsu P50XHA40US and the new Panny PV500, both use the same glass but different electronics. How much are you getting the Pioneer for, the Fujitsu is about £4500.

A seperate DVD player. 5.1 system will give better results than a all-in-one.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To buy right now, the Pioneer and Fujitsu are the only HD-ready 50" screens AFAIK.

But, in a few weeks there will be plenty more choices from Panasonic, Sony, Samsung (end June/early July) - and then from LG and Philips (September). I'd even add the 55" Hitachi 55PD5200 (available now) onto the shopping list if you can accommodate the size, 'cos I think its great and a tidy buy at under £4000.

Which one will be 'best' is anyones guess, and everyone likes different things.
    Personally, I'd much rather have the Hitachi 55PD5200 over the Pioneer anyday if I had the space - I think it's an excellent screen.

I'd buy from John Lewis if possible - pricematch any real UK store, delivery, great customer service and a free 5 year guarantee.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Also bear in mind the Pioneer is what it is, little more can be done for it. All the others mentioned can be simply coupled to an external scaler for improving SD content. The Pio may he HD ready, IMHO it's pretty easy to beat on SD content that we have now. OK you will spend more money. I have yet to see a 50" any brand I was happy with unless coupled to a scaler. They just don't have high enough internal electronics to cope with compresed SD video on a screen of that size. They usually share circuitry with a 42" from the same stable.