PDP-5000EX and Playstation 2 - screen burn?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by TomSharpe, Jan 2, 2007.

1. TomSharpe

TomSharpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Pioneer PDP-5000EX display since 4 months now and I am really pleased with its performance. I mostly watch DVDs or TV (via SAT), the picture quality in HD is stunning.

I have reduced the contrast settings to a moderate 20 to prevent any screen burn while watching TV with bright channel logos. So far I did not have any issue with screen burn (thank God!!)

But I am now planning to buy a Playstation 2 game console and want to use it on my Pioneer.

I have heard many problems with respect to screen burn on almost all plasma panels so I am really worried that playing with my PS2 might ruin my plasma screen.

Does anybody have any experience with a PS2 (or other game console) and a PDP5000EX (or related model) regarding screen burn?

Is it enough to set the AVMode to "Game" or do I still have to take care of something else?

Thanks for your help!!

2. TomSharpe

TomSharpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One addition to that: I have about 300 hours on the Pioneer (using reduced contrast settings)

3. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have had my Pioneer plasma for 4 years now and have no screen burn. I did get retention with Pro Evo soccer when i first got it, but it went away after about 4 mins of video on top. (It was the bright white pitch outline on the map, i was so scared when it first happened)

Now i can play the game 4 hours straight and i have no signs of retention at all.

PS, you should be getting an Xbox 360 for that screen, not a PS2.

4. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Why buy a SD Playstation 2 when who can buy a HD Xbox 360?

5. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Or buy a US import PS3..Which would give you a nice blu-ray player at the same...

6. Sborrone

Sborrone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have a PS3 hooked up to my EX and I've had some marathon sessions playing Warhawk. The screen is awesome but now I have the outline of the frame with my gamer tag top left - :(

Very un-happy, I've been so careful and turned the panel off when I'm watching SAT in another room and now this !
    One good thing is it's very feint and can only be seen when staring straight at the screen from 10 inches or so.

I have reduced the brightness and dropped the contrast to 20 is there anything else I can do ?

7. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Tune to some noise on analogue, set it to fill the screen, and leave it for a bit. That should get rid of it.

8. Sborrone

Sborrone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Appreciate the advice - should I leave it overnight?

9. Sborrone

Sborrone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is going to sound daft but I don't know how to tune the SKY box to a new channel or fine tune an existing one as it's all automated? I think I need the installers menu but can't remember how to get into it? Same goes for the PANA ex85 dvd REC - if I try to tune into a new channel it retunes all the channels and picks up only the strongest signals so I can't get hold of the white noise / snow.

However, when changing to an unused input on the recorder i get a static grey'ish white'ish coloured screen although no noise or movement would this suffice? Am baffled, the DVD Rec manual is about as much help as a chocolate fireguard. long gone are the days of painful manual tuning, mind you we only had 4 channels back then !!!!

Am very nervous at leaving the panel on anything now - any help / advice is greatly received...

10. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I have to admit I know nothing about satellite TV, but if you have your feed from your satellite plugged into the aerial input on the TV and then set it to analogue, I'm pretty sure you'll get static. And do it for as long as it takes, just a few minutes should be enough, I believe.

Hopefully if all that's wrong someone will come along quickly!