PDP-43MXE1 FRC Modes?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Kaz, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read here (and in the Integrator Manual) that the FRC Mode 2, allows a wider range of acceptable refresh rates.
    But with my set it seems that FRC Mode 1 allows more (down to 50Hz from a PC on the DVI input, although not without some sizing errors).

In Mode 2 the picture disappears and is reported as "out of range" as I reduce the Hz in Powerstrip on my PC.
    In Mode 2 I can't get HD 50Hz signals from our xbox. But in Mode 1 I can. And in Mode 1 you get all the Picture in picture functions.

Why might this be? And why's might the image be squished to the side in Mode 1 at 50hz?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Which graphics card are you using?

3. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radeon 9600 256mb Passive (powercolour iirc)

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Kaz it's what the modes do with the signal rather than what they allow. Mode 1 converts everything to 72 odd Hz, mode 2 leaves 59.94Hz and 50Hz alone (or converts 50 to 100, can't remember!) and mode 3 if for 24/25fps HD cameras.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I had 50Hz from a 9600 using mode 2 no problem. Nvidia cards are a problem but ATI should be OK. It may be the card - or try reinstalling the drivers. Is it the latest version of powerstrip?

Liam - I'm not sure anybody knows quite what the Pioneers do in the 3 FRC modes. Certainly a 50Hz input is very smooth, so I suspect there is no conversion going on.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    FRC3 moce is for HD cameras taht playbacka dn record at 24 sfP and 25sfP I believe.

No pip with FRC2 as it's not possible to mix two different refresh rates on screen at the same time...ie if you have R1DVD on and want to see PIP of a PC or perhaps PAL TV....With FRC1 it's not a problem as it's all turned in to 70Hz.

Gordon

7. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chaps. I'll have play with the drivers for the card then (getting a bit HCPC forumy..).
    It makes sense what you're saying about the modes. I've gone back to Mode 2 for TV viewing and will select Mode 1 for XBOX HD viewing.