PDP-436XDE vs TH-37PV500 vs Sony Bravia KDLV40A12 and the winner is...

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by tomatoface, Mar 7, 2006.

1. tomatoface

tomatoface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've now owned all 3 panels, first the Sony, then Panasonic and now finally the Pioneer. Here's my verdict summary...

I currently am only able to recieve Sky (and a couple of freeview channels via a communual ariel..) I also have a media center pc.. I have been looking for a flat panel for a couple of years to replace my ageing Panasonic 32" CRT TV. I was hooked after seeing a HD demo on one of the first Sagem 50" DLP projection TV's..

First the Sony... I followed one of the threads on the LCD forum and eagerly awaited it's release. I have to admit that I was taken in by the hype. I saw it in the flesh and liked the look of it and saw some HD demos in the Sony shop. I wasn't totally sure at the time and thought that any SD pixillation that I saw was probably due to a poor signal in the shop. Anyway after a bit of haggling and a good deal at the time, I took it home....
    After waiting for my wife to calm down when I told her how much I had spent, we sat down to watch on a Sat night. What can I say in my honest opinion the viewing angle, colours, pixellation with fast movement, sound IMO - were terrible.! My heart sank and I put it down to some further adjustment being required..unfortunately it made no difference and the next day it went back. Verdict: Great looks, poor connectivity, terrible performance.. 4/10.

Next the Panasonic (which I had set my heart on until the Sony swayed me). What can I say - it was a breath of fresh air - Stunning!! The build quality, picture quality, sound quality - superb! In my opinion a great piece of kit and probably the best 37" flat panel that money can buy at this time (if you can get hold of them). Verdict 8/10. ...Now I mentioned that I have a media center PC that I output using DVI to HDMI to the plasma..well with SKY HD around the corner the lack of another HDMI connector (yes I know the early units may output HD via component)..and the fact that I actually am thinking that I actually want a 42" or bigger panel..I reluctantly sold the Panansonic (for what I payed for it) and bought..

The Pioneer PDP-436XDE..WOW! ...stunning looks. Now I have to say that "out of the box" it does not compare to the Panasonic..but with a little tweaking due to the fact that there are extensive options (unlike the Panasonic) IMO - it's even better ! BUT.. there is a seperate media box (unlike the Panasonic) however it does have twin HDMI inputs and has a 43" screen - STUNNING. It's not without it's faults though..the sound with SKY does go out of sync with the picture and I have had to route this via my seperate AV amp (to slow the sound down so that it syncs with the picture). Also the sound (not via amp) is not as good as the Panasonic. But the picture is better. Verdict 9/10.

Hope my experiences are helpful.

2. stuart2

stuart2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So the latest Panasonic PX60 or PX600 and the Pioneer should be very close in picture quality then? And the TH42PX600 should have even better sound quality as well. Anyone been able to compare the two?

3. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In a German magazine there is a test of the new Panny PV60 (sorry no link), it gets exactly the same amount of points for image quality as the Pio 436.

Pioneer needs to lower its prices. :)

4. tomatoface

tomatoface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the Pioneers do seem more pricey. I would have quite happily gone for a 42pv500 at the time but have always had trouble getting hold of the Panny. I paid £2150 for the Pioneer and the Panny was about £2000 (though out of stock).

The new TH42PX60PED would be my choice if I was buying now (if you can get hold of one). Pricing in the UK seems to be between £1800 - £2050 at the moment.

I wonder if the new Panasonics will offer more user choices for picture adjustment?