PDP-436XDE Screen Burn with SKY+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by grazzyman, Nov 1, 2005.

1. grazzyman

grazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

I have a new pioneer 43" screen and sky+. I was disappointed to see some traces of screen burn after pausing the screen for only 30 minutes. (sky+ puts a big static green pause logo on the bottom left corner of the screen).

Whilst the image retention was not visable for normal viewing, it was visible on backgrounds that were white or very bright.

I contacted Pioneer and they offered some advice:

Do allow some time to run your screen in useing the 'Game' setting. Aparently, the media box records the amount of hours the screen is in use and then adjusts the video feed over time. After using this setting for a few months the screen should be extremely resistant to screen burn.

Now, this is all well and good but what about people who have some screen burn? Well, the Pioneer engineer advised that the screen burn should decrease with normal viewing...it has on my screen but now I know where the burn is I find myself trying to find it and it is still viewable on white backgrounds. The next piece of advice he offered me is to find a video source with a pure white screen and pause it (using a dvd with no on-screen pause logo!). This should even out any pixels that have some retention.

Well, I put a white screen on for about 30 minutes lastnight and the image retention has almost disappeared. If it was not pointed out to anyone, they would not be able to see it and I am now confident that the screen will fully recover given some time.

From now on, I will not use the pause function on sky+ (I will record the program instead). I did contact sky to see if the on-screen pause logo can be removed but it cannot. They were completely useless and could not offer any solution. Hopefully the new HD box will be plasma friendly?

Hope this info is helpful.

Cheers. Phil.

2. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Phil,

Don't worry, it will disappear. I had a problem recently when one of the kids left a solid logo on for about three hours. I sh!t myself when I saw the retention.

After leaving the screen on a non logo channel for a while it completely disappeared.

Best of Luck

Paul

3. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    My 7200 has a white screen feature built-in, so I guess it must go some way to sorting out retention problems.

4. grazzyman

grazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

I have just spoken to A Pioneer engineer again ad he recommended using a PC connection to the media box and displaying a pure white screen for a periond of 15 minutes (max.).

I'll give this a try and let you know the results.

Cheers,

Phil.

5. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It does work.

/voe

6. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,

Pioneer is right. Had the same with my 435 when it was new. Just avoid static logo's for the first months.
    The image retention will fade slowly but completely.
    So will the habit of checking if it's still there...

Enjoy you plasma. :hiya:

7. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being someone who was ***** scared about the possibility of kids watching Cbeebies on our new plasma Tv, I must admit that I've been quite impressed with the Panasonic 42PE50 .. so far, its been superb , if anything its been treated just like the old CRT was, from day one.

We've had less than 35 hours clocked in on the plasma so far, and must have had at least three sessions of 4 hrs + of Cbeebies, and its really good to see that there is a plasma out there in the market which can cope with this sort of viewing.. I used to think people on here exaggerated claims of the Panasonic 42PE50 or PWD7 being so resistant to screen burn (i remember someone mentioning they had left their Gamecube on the plasma all night and not had a hint of retention/burn).. but now I realise, they were spot on.

I can only imagine what grief I would be going through right now if I had opted for the Pioneer 436XDE or a Hitachi instead of this Panny 42PE50, just imagine... 4 hrs of Cbeebies on a Pio 436 within the first 10 hours of it being used, I get the feeling it would cause some serious burn-in!!

My mate's Hitachi 6600 had a logo channel displayed for abt 3 hrs within the first few days with regular channel hopping breaks every so often, but even then he had the logo burnt on his plasma ..

I wouldn't want to sound boastful here however, as I wouldn't want my words to come back and haunt me.. but so far i'm very impressed with how resilient this thing is , how CRT like it is in terms of being able to watch the same channel for hours without panicking about logos/graphics..

I would highly recommend the Panasonic 42PE50 to anyone out there who's reluctant to buy a plasma because of the risks of screen burn, buy this and just imagine that you've bought a CRT... enjoy it.

8. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    oh please......

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there's no harm in giving some friendly advice.. :)

10. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    when one considers the chronology of purchase anxiety, one must despair at the onset of tiresome brand didactism...

11. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the contrary, one must, upon reading these forums see they are intertwined. Nobody wants to be stuck with a lemon.

12. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    indeed they are not - purchase anxiety acceptable, sudden conversion to brand didactism unnaceptable. i.e. Best. Plasma. Ever.

As for lemons, fair point - but just because a purchase has - eventually, after much self inflicted torture - been made, it does not confer magical qualities on the Plasma..

Treat it just like a CRT indeed....

13. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said, orange66. :)

At the end of the day everyone wants to get the best quality, and no one wants to compromise on reliability and peace of mind.

These are the very reasons for purchase anxiety , because you are uncertain whether your choice is the best one and whether it meets your needs. That's the whole point of forums like these in that you are able to interact with others, learn from other people's experiences and hopefully collate and analyse this information to make your decision.

As far as this 'sudden conversion to brand didactism' being unacceptable - well kingsize, thats just laughable.. firstly, let me just say that I dont need to be lectured on what is acceptable or unacceptable, this is a public forum and we are all entitled to our views/opinions.. if you disagree with any of my comments than by all means go ahead and put forward your arguments... otherwise, I don't see what you are trying to get at.

The only reason I made the above post was to say that yes, Paansonic plasmas really are every bit as robust/resistant to screen burn as I was told by some of the more knowledgable folk on here.. and i'm grateful for their advice and just glad that I did go for a Panasonic plasma in the end.

My experiences so far convince me that this plasma (by no means perfect) was the right choice for me, primarily because it can cope with watching the same channel for several hours without any ill-effects.. in fact, just to add to the above.. I have been watching ITV4 since 7pm tonight (with the logo remaining there all the time, even during the ads) and till 10.30 pm (watched a bit of Kojak).. not a hint of retention.

This in my view is quite an achievement for any plasma to be able to be as resistant as this within the first 20-30 hrs, going by the experiences that i've read others have had with their new plasmas even when taking extra caution (as i'm sure orange66 will confirm) -- for a plasma that hasn't been run in, to easily cope with 4 hrs of Cbeebies on the first day is no mean feat!

The only reason i'm sharing this info with others is because if there are other first time plasma buyers reading this thread and getting worried about screen burn (just like I did), it might be helpful for them to know that ALL plasmas are not equal.. lets accept it, some are better than others in certain aspects.

In this case, Panasonic SD plasmas are proven performers, when it comes to screen burn resilience.. sure, this information hasn't suddenly been discovered overnight because I've purchased this plasma, i'm sure others on here have been saying the same for a while - but maybe now that I have seen it with my own eyes , I am convinced..
    I just hope my experience here will help others make the best decision...and if screen burn resilience is a concern, than I have no hesitation in saying the 42PE50 from my brief but eventful experience and that of others is a class performer.. so yes, treat it like a CRT indeed.. I certainly am doing just that and so far, so good.. fingers crossed, it will remain that way.

Obviously i can't guarantee that screen burn/retention will never happen with this plasma - but it is generally agreed that plasmas are most susceptible to burn-in/retention during the first 100 hours or so... - so in my case when the plasma is able to cope with 4 hrs of Cbeebies easily within the first 10-20 hrs.. its fair to say that 6 months later, when the plasma has probably clocked around 1000 hrs or so.. it will even more resilient to burn-in..

14. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all you Pioneer 436 owners out there I thought I would share this with you.

I have had mine for three weeks now and it has been treated in exactly the same way as my old CRT. The brightness and contrast were tweaked down a little, but nothing else has been done and there is not a sign of image retention or burn.

Widescreen films have been played back to back, 4+ hours of black border top and bottom, no problems. MTV Dance channel on for 6+ hours, large static logos, no problems at all. Sky sports news has been displayed for the large part of Sat afternoons with no retention at all.

As I type this I am displaying this on the Plasma (as I do most nights) and the static toolbar at the bottom causes no probs at all.

I cant say all Pioneers are the same, but I have no problems with it. I read all about the retention and burn before I bought one, but what the heck...I am not paying nearly two and a half grand to hang it on the wall and not watch it....as good as it does look switched off on the wall :thumbsup:

I cant say what the Panasonic is like, because I dont have one!

15. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    grazzyman remember removing the pause logo from sky plus would not help, the whole picture would burn in as it is static!

16. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to read that, C11... nothing pleases me more to read an account of someone with a plasma being able to treat it like a normal CRT (and likewise nothing put me off from buying a plasma more so than this idea that plasmas need to be treated 'differently', ie. having to avoid certain channels due to their static logos, having to limit the length of time watching one channel, or even watching movies in the wrong aspect ratio... )

Perhap the Pioneer plasmas out there are just as robust as the Panasonics.. i wouldn't know and coudln't say, but what I do know is having spent a bit of time digging up every thread on screen burn I could find on this forum and elsewhere, by and large the message I got was if you want a plasma which can be treated like a CRT, than look no further than a Panasonic SD plasma...

And in the end, that's exactly what I did.. went for a Panasonic SD plasma and even then I had doubts whether it would be able to cope with my viewing habbits, but am pleased with the outcome so far.. more than pleased, in fact.

If others can benefit from my experience, all the better.. not that i'm trying to promote one brand ahead of another.. in any case, my favourite brand is neither Panasonic nor Pioneer.. it begins with S and ends with Y.. but a pity they can't produce plasmas half as good as these two :)

17. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have spent much of today calibrating a very new 506 XDE. It looked stunning after calibration, even if I say so myself :D and my customer has posted on the forum much the same (thanks Gordon).

Test patterns played into the panel during the calibration procedure were very evident even 10 minutes later with other material being displayed in the meantime. The patterns faded and were absolutely no problem thereafter.

Doing the same on a Panasonic panel and you wouldn't see a trace of image retention. The Pioneers just need to be treated with a degree of caution when they are very new - image retention is OK (ish) nothing to worry about, burn certainly isn't and I can well believe that if you leave a static image up on a new panel for a long time you will burn it - the Panasonics appear to be bomb proof (one or two PV500 owners excepted), but from what I have seen today (again) the advice to "run in" Pioneers gently isn't an old wive's tale.

18. grazzyman

grazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A follow up. Connected a PC and followed Pioneers advice (display a white screen) and pleased to say the image retention is almost gone. You cannot see it while watching tv, it is 'just' visible on a pure white screen.
    which you would never get watching sky or a DVD anyway. It looks like image retention and not a permanent burn. Hopefully all traces will disappear in time.

I understand that if you paused sky+ that the whole image is still. The reason for the retention in this case is due to the excessive brightness of the 'pause logo' in sky+. Why on earth they can't make the logo opaque and time-out after a specific period is beyond me.

Cheers, Phil.

19. wrightie01

wrightie01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    why would you want to keep a paused image on the screen? pause sky, turn off the screen then turn it back on again when you want to restart viewing

20. C11 XFF

C11 XFF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I pause mine for any length of time I just switch the TV over to one of the Freeview channels. At least there is a moving image on the screen then.

21. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a pdp435FDE and never had any problem with screen burn. But then again I actually read the insructions, especially the bits that did mention screen burn and retention.

Im sure pany owners that have the contrast and brightness way too high would suffer equally as bad as the next make does.

Read the screens instructions and turn down the contrast and brightness for a few weeks to be sure

Steve