PDP-436XDE - HDMI Sound Problem

Dave-G6HNI

Standard Member
Reaction score
Am I doing something really stupid ?

I have just connected my first HDMI device to my PIO, but can’t get it's sound to come out of the PIO's optical sound output.

All my other inputs, scart, digital tuner, analogue tuner, etc pass the audio through to the optical out, which I have plugged into my main amp.

I connected some speakers up to the PIO and sound is getting through to them, but not to the optical out. I can't believe this can be right surely ?

If I switch the HDMI sound input to analogue instead of digital and connect a scart lead as well as the HDMI, then I can get sound out of the optical out, but that’s a ridiculous way to go on and it won’t work for the second HDMI input any way.

I am trying to connect a Sky HD box, but the same thing happens with a friend’s Apple TV – no digital sound out of the digital sound output !??!

Dave.

Am I doing something really stupid ?

I have just connected my first HDMI device to my PIO, but can’t get it's sound to come out of the PIO's optical sound output.

All my other inputs, scart, digital tuner, analogue tuner, etc pass the audio through to the optical out, which I have plugged into my main amp.

I connected some speakers up to the PIO and sound is getting through to them, but not to the optical out. I can't believe this can be right surely ?

If I switch the HDMI sound input to analogue instead of digital and connect a scart lead as well as the HDMI, then I can get sound out of the optical out, but that’s a ridiculous way to go on and it won’t work for the second HDMI input any way.

I am trying to connect a Sky HD box, but the same thing happens with a friend’s Apple TV – no digital sound out of the digital sound output !??!

Dave.

Will it not only work in Dolby Digital if you connect the sky box directly into the amp anyway?

Not quiet sure what you're asking me, but my amp only has 2 optical ins, so I can't connect everything directly.

At present the DVD goes into one and the TV goes into the other.

This works fine for all PIO inputs except the HDMI and I don't want to keep switching the amp every time I change input on the TV.

Dave.

IIRC the 436 does not route HDMI sound to the Optical Out. This has been discussed a while back.

In fact, on mine, I only ever get the Freeview (DVB) sound via the Optical Out.

When displaying a signal from the analogue and digital tuners or from an analogue video input the plasma system will output a signal from the 2 channel phono and optical digital outputs as well as the speakers but due to the HDMI copy protection regulations the plasma system will not output a signal via the digital or analogue outputs when viewing the signal from an HDMI input.

You need to connect the optical out of the SkyHD box directly to the amp...

You may also like to know that the audio stream in the HDMI output of the SkyHD box will only ever be 2 channel stereo so to get the best from it you need to make the optical digital connection even if you have an amp that has HDMI audio amplification...

Thanks for the Heads Up you guys, but that's really annoying, I guess I will have to invest in an multi input optical switch, as I don't really want to replace my Yami Amp.

Still at least I now have analogue sound by putting the scart cable in parallel with the HDMI, but I can't do that for the second HDMI, so that's another input I'll have to switch manually.

If it's just a copyright issue, can it be overcome via a software patch or a link or hidden menu command ?

Grasping at straws here mind.

Dave.

Not quiet sure what you're asking me, but my amp only has 2 optical ins, so I can't connect everything directly.

Dave.

My point was that given SKY HD and DVD are your only Dolby digital sources anyway (unless you have more you haven't mentioned) they are the ones that should plug into your amp via optical directly. If you dont plug the SKY HD directly into the amp you wont get proper dolby digital surround sound from all the HD and movie channels which seems a bit of a waste given that it is so much better than dolby pro-logic etc.

The TV can be connected via an anologue cable without any loss in quality as long as you use a reasonable cable given that it is only sending a nicam/dolby pro-logic signal to your amp. This way everything on the TV except the SKY and DVD will still be fed to the amp via one cable (not much more switching).

That way you dont need an optical switcher.:thumbsup:

Well.... if I do plug the Sky HD & the DVD directly into the amp, I can't then plug in the TV's optical out, I also have a Humax PVR9200 and then there's my next HDMI gadget (either an Apple TV or MB200 ?).
Even if I use the RF in for the DVD and use the optical for something else it will still mean switching the amp inputs. I think I will have to give this a lot more thought.
Cheers, Dave.

As mhsslinky has stated the best connections for DVD and Sky is to put optical cables into the amp direct for DOLBY DIGITAL which gives the full 5.1 etc sound.
The HDMI lead is mainly for the picture at the present time, so to use it for sound coming through it is a waste .
The sound from the TV is only Stereo therefore wasting the optical connection.
Use a Phono Lead (ie,Red & White connection) to the amp for all sound from the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom