1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDP-433MXE with DV-868AVi & Aurora A303HDCP

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 7MAT, Jun 1, 2004.

1. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm considering the Aurora A303HDCP video card for my current set-up (see signature below) so that I can use my 868 DVD player's HDMI output.

Will this video card work with my PDP-433MXE as the above website only list the PDP-433CMX? Is this the American product code for the same unit?

Does anyone own one or possible used one before. How did it perform?

Its seems fairly cheap at £223 approx + shipping. I see that there is also a newer model out, the Aurora A304HDCP video card @ £330 approx + shipping.

Any feedback on either of these video card would be appreciated.

7MAT

2. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There was a suggestion that these things were not that good with PAL. I mailed Aurora themseles a while back but didn't a response. These may be newer models, I'm not sure. I was looking to join the new satellite HDTV satellite service

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  4. Turlough

Turlough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    To a point it does. :smashin:

Here's a simple question:

Where in the UK can I obtain either:

a) one of these cards to try at home ?

b) see one of these cards in action compared to a simultaneous display using the standard Pioneer card ?

If not now then when ? (if not you then who ? etc. :rotfl: )

Whichever retailer gets either of these in place will have queue of interested Pioneer MXE owners beating a path to their door.

This will be mirrored by the queue of potential Pioneer MXE owners who have given up waiting and are looking elsewhere.

I suspect I'm not alone in having bought an MXE on the basis that it outperformed the HDE and that 3rd party cards would be available. I guess that's the penalty for being an early(ish) adopter ?

:lease:

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    a) try Gordon at Convergent AV, but not sure he'll have a demo model to send you. My guess is he'll try to persuade you to go for a Lumagen instead.

b) as above if you can get to Scotland, or Joe Fernand (also Scotland) who supplied many of us with our 433s. For a comparison you may have to settle for the opinion of someone who is using the card now for a before/after comparison. Search the forum for Aurora - somebody got one of the cards by ordering from Aurora in the States and posted his comments - it may have been tbrar or Dutch but I can't remember.
    I e-mailed Aurora and they quoted for delivery to the UK so you can get them shipped here.

The MXE does outperform the HDE even with just the standard 5002 card fitted and no image processing/scaling. I've gone the HTPC route, using the graphics card to output native resolution, and dscaler software to process the image. Top notch PQ on Sky (using the Sweetspot card) and DVD (SDI modded Denon 2900). The 433MXE is still one of the best performing screens available despite the improvements made generally in plasmas. The new 43MXE1 should be even better and would be the only model I would currently consider upgrading to.

6. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The new MXE1 will still be not HDCP compliant so you'd be in the same boat i.e. needing a card like the A303 or A304.
    I contacted Joe Fernand a few weeks ago about UK distribution of the card and also for some guidance on its performance with the 433MXE. I'm sure Joe will provide some views as and when he gets one. I agree that, if it does the biz, there should be quite a queue of MXE owners wanting one (me included).

If anyone is already using one, it would be good to know the result.