PDP-4280XD and HTPC...any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ferret face, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Ferret face

Ferret face
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this wonderous forum and am considering buying the Pioneer 42inch but would like to know if its any good for connecting a HTPC to?

I will want to watch my Bluray movies and some mkv files from a pc, however I have read that the pioneer is not true HD and has a weird resolution with rectangular pixels.

My question is...will the picture from the pc be sharp and clear or will it be blurry due to weird resolution/refresh rates?

I have tried searching the forums and am a bit baffled so any help will be much appreciated..

Thanks!
    :)

2. Rob_Meister

Rob_Meister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Do you know what the screen in questions model number is?

These rectangular pixels you speak of are not going to be so obvious that the screen appears blury.

3. Ferret face

Ferret face
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its the Pioneer PDP-4280XD 42inch Kuro and I have read it cant do 1:1 pixel mapping so my question is...

is it any good for HD and SD via a HTPC or is it better to get a 1080P set like the Panasonic PZ70?

Cheers

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    In this case it might be 'better' to get a Pz, you have other problems besides pixel mapping. Overscan is a big big problem with 4280s and PC via HDMI, no visible talk bar for 1 thing, so MCE only as an interface. You can do 1.1 mapping with the Pz, it would solve a fair few problems in one go.

5. Ferret face

Ferret face
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thanks Maw you just saved me a bucket load of money,

I didn't realise that the Pioneer was so poor with a pc source, shame really but it looks like it will have to be the Panasonic then if they are superior for image quality.

Many thanks for the info

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    As I said, it's not that it's shockingly bad for PQ, not perfect, as you'd expect for a fixed pixel display and a non matched PC res, the overscan is a killer though. The PZ has a pixel for pixel mode, you just turn that on and that's it done for PCs.

7. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    50PZ70 is awesome for HTPC, ive got mine set up to 1:1 mapping at full 1080p. Only problem is i cant get 24i/25i/30i as it causes juddering, 60hz looks great though.

8. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91

I'm considering swapping out for a 4280XD (from a PZ) and am interested in how the Pio will hook up to a PC... as much fro PC gaming as anything else. Its not the deal breaker but it would be nice to know I'd not be drasticaly downgrading in that dept..

Is this quote any use from *... ?

" Overscan..

When fed with supported resolutions, you can achieve zero overscan in the [PC] mode over VGA (after "Auto Adjust") and HDMI, but because white balance controls, film deinterlacing and colour management system are disabled in this mode, I'd avoid it at all costs. "

So... if you hook up via VGA will PC, taskbar and all will be displayed fine with overscan disabled?

Is the fact that these features are disabled detremental to the quality of the PC image.

I'm thinking he's saying 'avoid it at all costs' re: trying to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping in this way to view sources other than actual PC display ?

9. Ferret face

Ferret face
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heavysalad can I ask why you are getting rid of the pz?

10. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I own a 428xd. The overscan issue isn't a problem for me - It can be changed on my graphics card so that I see the entire screen. Also, players such a Media player classic allow tailoring of output size using a few keystrokes, so I never lose any information offscreen

11. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Err

The 4280 will do 1:1 pixel mapping with zero overscan via vga or hmdi in pc mode.

Only issue is it is a 1024 by 768, you can map to that but that is a 4:3 resolution so the image is streached but maps properly.

12. Ferret face

Ferret face
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if the image is stretched on the Pioneer then films and video etc may look a bit blurred ?

If i am wrong about the Pioneer then can someone please explain\assure me that HD and SD video will look fine on the Pioneer via HTPC otherwise it looks like the Panasonic pz is the only choice for a 42 incher.

Thanks

13. LCR_Dave

LCR_Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i would say gor for the pz, i don have a 428 but i have a 427 and getting the picture to fit on the screen is just an absolute nightmare ive spent hours doing it so you dont get overscan or stretch, and then it still looks pants! i can only guess the 428 is the same, for ease go for the pz