1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pdas???

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by drunkenmaster, Mar 4, 2005.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Okay I know how all this sounds , but can all pdas, accept mobile phone sims or are we limited to what the network providers offer. Obviously this must depend on how 'open' these pdas are to accept any network sims

Also if not directly then what sort of add ons are required

If this is anyway possible would it be possible to have a few opinions on which pda i should look at, up to £250 in price

cheers

2. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    No, only a very vew PDA's offer the ability to accept sim cards. In fact the only "true" PDA I can think of right now that accepts sim cards is the XDA2 from o2 and is obviously only available from o2.
    There are plenty of smart phones on the market that offer PDA functionality, these are available from most mobile phone manufactures, nokia6630, sonyP910 for example. The P910 has a touch screen and stylus and operates in much the same manner as a normal PDA but is not as powerful. These two phones are available "unlocked" so can be used on any network.
    The two devices are getting closer and closer to ewach other but arent quite there yet.
    What I want to know is if they can fit a 60GB hard drive into an ipod why dont we have phones and pda with this much storage yet.

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Oh yeah, if it is just a straight PDA you want with no phone functionality for £250 look on the dell website at their X30.

4. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    cheers Sandman - looking for one unit that can do it all

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Think that one of the new HP IPAQ's will take a SIM card as well but apart from that the only real All-in-ones are the Handspring Treo's and all the HTC range of Pocket PC's. The T-Mobile MDAIII, Orange SPVM2000, O2 XDAIIs are all the same device basically

I've got an XDAIIs and I like it, but the thing to remember is that they are PDA's first and phones second so the phone side of things is not a patch and a standard Nokia/Samsung etc..

But then again the PDA side of those phones isn't a patch on a pocket PC

If you want a Phone/Diary/Email/Web Browser/SatNav/MP3 player/Games machine/Memo recorder/Speed camera detector/Camera...etc...etc.. I'd recommend one

If you want a device you never have to play around with though don't get a Pocket PC though as you have to spend a fair bit of time to get the best out of one, they are nowhere near as user friendly as MS and the networks would have you believe but when used right they are a pretty powerful tool.

As an example i've just typed this reply in about five minutes using the built in XDA keyboard using my Broadband connection over Wi-Fi.

The XDAIIs and XDAIIi are both available for sub £100 if you shop around

6. Parlivus

Parlivus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the XDAII on o2, MDAIII or MDA Compact on T-Mobile, M2000 on Orange, and VPA on Vodafone, They're all varients of the same device manufactured by I-Mate.

7. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
  8. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the info!!

Mmmm XDA IIi - £100 - Cant find any for this sort of price - any ideas where from?

9. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

That would would be awesome if the current pda's had ipod type storage space!
    At present the max storage you can get is about a gigabyte or two and that's
    removable.....