1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA's?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by kelvin, Feb 20, 2004.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can some of you provide a "PDA Newbie" with a list of things to look out for when considering a new PDA at the moment?

I'm in the market for one fairly shortly but really don't have a clue where to start - I like the look of the HP "Ipaq" range but don't know how they compare with other brands - good/bad?

Also, as far as functionality is concerned - how have things changed in the last few years (what do you use your's for?!). My only experience is a battered old Psion 3a which I used for 6 months or so before it gave up the ghost so I imagine things have changed a fair bit... :rolleyes:

Any advice greatly received - I need a new toy! ;)

K.

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The first basic questions are:

What do you intend to use it for?

Do you want Windows or Palm operating system?
    (bit like PC versus Mac here - big debates on the best)

How much do you want to spend.

From my own usage I first bought a Palm 515 but found the display too small and dim. The free applications for Palm were far easier to find than the Windows versions.

I replaced a tatty Filofax which had my contacts, events and notes. I also wanted to stop carrying a laptop for the odd documents I updated on the way to/from work.

The Palm has nice Desktop synch software but on the whole I envied the extra goodies on the Ipaqs, they were of course dearer as Microsoft are involved in deal.

So I bought an Ipaq 3870 for my birthday and haven't looked back. Now have an Ipaq 3970 with latest PocketPC 2003 loaded.

I keep my contacts, events and notes on my work & home PC and synch the Ipaq nearly every day. I've even got into using it for Satellite Nav in my car which is really neat. I listen to the odd mp3 and play the odd game on it on the train. I've even written a few simple programs for it. Being an old fogey who hates text messaging, my thumbs are too slow, I use software to send/receive SMS via Bluetooth as well.

I must admit at first I thought it may get used a little then sit in a draw doing nothing but it's not been the case.

My advice is to buy a cheap or used one first before going out to buy the top of the range HP.

Hope that helps.

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think most of them have got to a stage where they are all a bit of a muchness.

I think it essentially comes down to deciding how you will carry it about and use it, rather than what you will do on it.

size - will it go in your shirt pocket, handbag, or will you carry it in a bulky PDA case in a coat or briefcase.

design - a sleek model or a bigger case possibly easier to hold.

expansion and connection- memory cards (compatible with your other devices?) IR port, and other modules - gps, camera, bluetooth and wifi etc. Extra (or replaceable) battery?

I would recommend buying a proper pen/stylus though, if you are going to be using it regularly. www.styluscentral.com

I don't bother with any cases, as it can just slip into a jacket pocket. And trying to protect the casing it seems a waste of time considering the short product lifetime and cost of [better] replacement models.

You can get car chargers and spare desk chargers, so battery life (and bulk) may not be a consideration.

Just remember to back up your PDA data to a PC regularly.

I've transfered all my PDA needs to a Sony Ericsson P900, and now only use the Ipaq for GPS and a work specific program. For document mark up and better PDA functions, I use its big brother - a TabletPC.

You really need to consider what you will do with it, and what you may like to start doing with it, before deciding on any particular model.
    I understand that the Dell Axim offers some of the best value available

Edit
    Oh, and regarding claims of processor speed I don't really see any notable difference in day to day use from my 3 year old model and todays latest processors