1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA Wifi recommendation

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by K Duggan, Jan 9, 2004.

1. K Duggan

K Duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I`m on the lookout for a PDA with wifi capabilities. The best I can find is the Dell Axim x3i for 279 quid.
    Anyone had any experience of this? What`s it`s wifi range like? Is surfing the net possible with such a small screen?
    If anyone is using a wifi enabled PDA - what are you using? How much did it cost?
    My wifi network at home is through a Belkin router F5D6230u3 and my laptop has a Belkin network card F5D6020u. Any compatability problems with these and a PDA with wifi?

Cheers for any info :)

Kev

2. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Dell Axim X5 and an X3i. The X5 comes with an SD card slot and a CF card slot. I have bought a cf wifi card. Its just a little card slightly bigger than a CF that goes in the CF slot and will hook you with a wireless network. Its an expensive card but I managed to get it off ebay from the US for cheap. I think ebuyer do one for about £35 for a compact flash slot. You can get the same for a secure digital slot, altho the X5 doesnt like sd wifi cards in its sd slot. However, of course u will restrict u from, maybe surfing and at the sametime having use of a memory card, if it just has one slot. Whereas the X5 will allow u to go wireless thru the cf slot and memory from the sd slot.

Hope this helps a bit. Ask to clarify if I havent been clear

3. K Duggan

K Duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, yes it made sense!
    What`s your x3i like for surfing? I was hoping to do internet banking on it but I`ve been in contact with Barclays who say it`s not possible on a PDA.
    So what from your experience would you recommend..an x5 or x3i. I`m buying really for having mobile internet (my laptop is a bit bulky!) which is why I was tempted with the x3i with it`s built in wifi.

Cheers
    Kev

4. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only got them recently and havent had a chance to use them wireless as yet because I am still waiting for thr broadband company to hook me up, and for a pc card to arrive!!! Hopefully by next weekend I will be able to tell u the outcome of surfing, should all be set by then. Alternatively pop on over to www.aximsite.com they have a lot of stuff over there to help you. I think the X5 is being discontinued by Dell at the moment.

EDIT: BTW I am looking to sell the X5, barely used it. Im going to put an ad in the classifieds