1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA/MDA/XDA or P910

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by sswats, May 24, 2005.

1. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I need a phone where i can write quick notes, has a organiser, diary etc. outlook e-mail would be nice but not at all essential.
    I would also like an MP3 player with a resonably large memory.

For the future I wouldn't mind if it was capable of GPS.

Preferably T-mobile because they'll give me a discount if I renew with them. but am willing to change.

any specific phones you guys recommend? Most important aspect is actually the phone itself. so one with a good signal and is clear. I heard some PDA's have poor phones.

Would the SE P910 be good enough (I know it has no GPS or outlook).

what advantages does a PDA have over the 910?
    What useful software is there for these things.

2. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I decided on the MDA compact with t-mobile.

I ordered it.

gonna get a 512mb card for it.

don't need wifi.

anything else i should get?

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Good choice! It's a rebadges i-Mate JAM, which is what I have. I can't fault it!

4. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can i install programs on the extra memory (just in case) or do they only install on the internal memory?

5. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    HI

Just had the same decision to make as you.

I went for the SE P910i...Why?

1. Tried the MDA compact. very neat little thing, bit heavy but lovely design. I actually went to buy it untill I tried it out. What a nightmare navigating the menu and about 400 button presses to enter an event in the diary. efficient it was not. secondly the phone features i found resticting. The mda is a mobile PC first (word, excell etc) a phone second and a PDA third. I wanted easy efficient access to my diary with clear views and easy text input. (i previously had a palm tungsten T so far hard to beat!). You cannot use it one handed.
    It seemed the Windows Mobile system was not for me given it was to replace my phone.

2. the P910 is a bit old in the tooth now I know, not so good on design, but thats for you to decide. The reason I bought it was the fact that it was a PDA first and phone second. The software is available to edit and view word, powerpoint and excell files if you want that, i did. You can easy use the phone one handed if needed. I have got a great diary software package that exceeds my needs. I actually use mine with the key pad removed.

After a bit of practice the PDA is very efficient accessing the major features quickly via the fantastic scroll wheel on the side.

And yes you can get GPS if you want that, there are a number of packages available to you for about £200.

It was also the price I got mine for £200 brand new unlocked. so i keep it on my pay as you go tariff. Cheaper than e.bay and a full warrenty.

You need to try these out before you buy, I did and it completly changed my mind. Also think about what you need it for, business tool or phone/PDA and how you are going to use it.

I ahve also found SE to have fantastic customer support.

hope this helps.

6. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Great, I'm also keen to get a 910 and am presently using a palm Tungsten E and SE 610. My main concerns are will the 910 do whatever my Tungsten does, eg view photos, play movie clips and MP3, have free software on the net for databases, book readers, world clock, games etc etc. Is avantgo compatible with it? Are the 4 basic functions (diary, tasks, address book, memo) equivalent to the palm's and what do they synch with, outlook or SE dedicated software (like Palm's)?

One of the problems I have with my 610 TE combo is that address book info doesn't all synch with the phone on using the IR ie I may only get one number sent to the phone and not all the other fields (mobile, e-mail etc). This was much better with my Nokia 6100 but I changed it for the 610 because of the bluetooth.

Does the 910 have separate phone memory vs address book? If I want to dial a number from the address book which is not entered in the phone contacts can I do this simply? What about the preceding area code?

Presumably for e-mail and internet access on the go the 910 will be streets ahead of the palm - 610 combo. Also I expect that word, excel powerpoint will be fine and that changes on the 910 will be saved on PC.

Comments on the practicality of the 910 as a replacement for the palm would be appreciated. I don't want to for something bulky like a Nokia 9500 or iMate.

7. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    HI Dood.

OK, firstly I loved the Palm for its ease of use and a rock solid platform that never stalled or crashed in the 2-3 years of ownership. Ideally I'd go for the Handspring treo 650 but I was not prepared to wait so long and very expensive yet. I did concider the 600 but poor screen resolution and no bluetooth put it at the back of the pile. There are also some concerns with slow recognition of an incoming call, and only gives you three rings before it cuts in with the answerphone. I had to put it to the back of the pile.

Right with regards to your concerns, I no techno freek but i will do my best, other readers may want to put me right or ammend my reply.

1. Does the SE do everything the palm does? Yes BUT, i have recently used the SE for slideshow presentation on the basic supoplied software (SE application suite you get with it). Fine for going through the notes but viewing the slide was unclear, the palm was far better for this. I am sure there is better software than the one supplied (there is but cant think of the name), hav'nt tried word docs yet but will update when i'v tried.

2. Yes you can view phontos, movies, listen to MP3 and view movie clips no problem, all supplied with the phone.

3. Free software on the net? not as much as the palm, but beleive me there is more than you will ever need in terms of third party software, all offer free trials for about a month first.

4. databases, Mobipocket (bookreader) and Chess solitare games come with the software disc you get with the phone. There are loads of games and other applications available.

5. Just checked the CD, yes you get avantgo on there aswell.

6. With regards to the diary and address book, this is where I had to buy a third party diary. I wanted a basic day view telling me my appointments for the day, tasks to do and messages. However important to me was the availablity of a week view, something i used a lot with the palm via datebook+.
    In the end I bought handyday 2004, and older but cheaper version but did everthing and uncomplicated.

7. Yes mine synchronises with outlook, however i think you can sync with other software, its not sony's own though, you need to check this.

8. Address book works by entering the contacts list highlighting you contact, it will then bring up all their details inc various phone numbers. Next to the mobile number is a shortcut to SMS or e.mail.
    Just highlight the number and press the button to call, very easy and efficient so you dont need 3 enterys for the same person, saves on sifting through.

9. is it simple to make a phone call? this was important to me, as it was going to be a phone equaly to a PDA. Yes very easy. I have changed the hotkey that was assighned to the internet, now its on phone. I use mine without the keypad, and all i do is press the button and up pops a large full screen keyboard easily pressed with one hand. smaller but equaly pressable with your thumb are shortcut icons to your contact list, and speeddial numbers amongst others.

the jog dial on the phone really speeds things up.

So do I miss my Palm? NO not really, I love the SE. However you must try the various software available and set the shortcuts that are most efficient to you so that you enjoy using it. Its not a nightmare to navigate like the windows, and entering data like a diary appointment are a breaze, nearly as good as the palm with handy day fitted.

No world clock though but Handy day 2005 has this, the shortcuts for buttons, weather infomation etc for about £17 check out handango for details, check out the software and see if it meets your needs.

Sounds like everything you have put down is either in the phone or on the software CD you get with the phone anyway.

Hope this helps, any other Q's please reply.

Go on treat yourself :smashin:

8. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Looks like it will do. One more question - how will transfer all my data from palm to SE? Presumably I'll have to back it all up on outlook (I normally use palm desktop), then sync outlook with the SE.

Now, do I wait for the 910 replacement or go for it now???

9. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i got a p910i on a 100mins + 100 txts 12 month contract £25 per month and the phone only cost £30

that is on the o2 network

great deal

10. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep, Good deal.

Dood, I think you can transfer palm dfata to outlook. I did it once before, can't think how i did it though. Go through your palm software i think you save the info as a "dat" file or something, then in outlook goto file - import.

I needed to sort my contacts out and make amendments to my diary, lookily not much more than birthdays, so i started a fresh.

I do belive SE are looking to rplace the p910i, but then it was bound to come soon enough. Go to mobile-review. com and have a look. They are roumers though, nobody knows when, and as its such early days its not likly to be this or mid next year, more like late '06 when the replacement come in.
    one things for sure it will still be symbian, but i dont know what they can possibly add to the p910 to make it worth the extra expence and a long wait.

As quoted above, there are some good deals now, mine was £200 sim free brand new, take a look around independant mobile shops. there is plenty of competition now for SE to sit up and take notice, so shop around, find one, have a play with it and see what you think.

I hav'nt come accross any owners who are disapointed.

:smashin:

11. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    is there anywhere that I can get free themes/ringtones etc without using wap.

i.e downloading to pc then bluetooth to p910i??

cheers

john

12. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi John

You have just answered your question.

I trust you installed the P910 suite. Record whatever it is you want to use as your ringtone via your PC, Ie. microphone with someone singing or your favourite track of a cd. Record to your PC via media player or sonicNow etc.

Simply go to windows explorer, highlight your recorded song and dgag it to your P910 icon in the folder. Your song will now be coppied to your P910 via the USB sync. Or send to Bluetooth.

Goto your setting in P910 for sounds and under voice calls click on search ?brouse and get your recorded tone from there.

Clear as mud :smashin:

13. sswats

sswats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I got the MDA.

Its fine and i find it very easy to use.

Not sayint its better than the 910, they're both very good, so I'm very happy with it

14. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that - what I am after more specifically is are there any websites that themes, games etc can be downloaded direct to the pc and then I can transfer the files over to the p910i via cable or bluetooth??

cheers

john

15. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi John,

yes mate there are loads, a simple google search will bring them up, handango. com is very good amongst others.

You can download to your PC some are as zip files which you open on your PC and in it the .sis file. double click on the .sis file and the PC will automaticaly install on your P910.

It really is simple :thumbsup:

16. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    cheers for that - ideally i am looking for some new themes, ringtones etc and preferably not have to pay for them. Please could you PM some of the sites to me??

:lease:

thanks

john

17. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hI

sorry john no time to start searching got exams next week.

Goto ebay.co.uk - mobile phones - software.

There are a few guys who will sell you a dvd/cd with literally 1000s of ringtone, applications, themes, etc for about 2.99 +p&p.

all of which are specific to the p910/p900.

I hav'nt bought one so don't know what they are like but the feedback is good.