PDA - For Use As Media Player/Mobile Internet?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Rasczak, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    Not sure whether to post here or in the mobile phone/PDA forum. I am after a mobile media player/internet device and have been thinking of a PDA. Does anyone use such a device for such a purpose? PDAs aren't really a product I have had much use/need for in the past (I'm a big fan of paper diaries) but I do travel alot and the idea of using one as a super portable PC is quite appealing. But I would appreciate some comments on whether the following is possible:

1) USB internet. I have a USB Vodafone Mobile Connect that uses 2G/3G. Would any PDA type device support use of this?

2) Handwriting recognition. I don't think I could get on with a virtual keyboard - do any PDAs recognise virtual handwriting/scribble-pad?

3) Media Playback. I would like to play media files specifically videos. Do PDAs, most of which I presume use a form of Windows software, support media player? And if so how do things stand with regard third party codecs such as DivX and Xvid.

4) Storage. Do most PDAs use SD cards? Do any offer small HDDs? Do any allow me to connect a portable HDD via USB?

...if there are devices that are in this vien I'd appreciate any recommendations!

2. southeastblue

southeastblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I recently bought one of these HTC Hermes (mine is an Orange branded SPV M3100) on ebay for £120...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does just about everything you could want!

It has...

* Windows Mobile 5 (Mine is running Winows Mobile 6 which I flashed myself)
    * 2.8" touch screen
    * 2 megapixel camera
    * QWERTY pull out keyboard
    * 802.11g Wireless internet
    * 3G
    * Pop3 email
    * Internet Explorer for full web access
    * Integrated MSN Messanger/Windows Live messenger
    * Pocket Microsoft office ( Excel, OneNote, Powerpoint, and Word)
    * It uses Windows Media player to play audio files and sound quality is pretty decent, plus video playback isn't bad either.

There's a newer version of this device called the HTC Kaiser (Also HTC Tytn 2) which has a better camera, tilting screen, and Windows Mobile 6 as standard.

Either way, PDA phones IMO are the best! :smashin:

3. southeastblue

southeastblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oh and forgot to add it houses a Micro SD card slot which with Windows Mobile 5 I think supports up to 2Gb cards.

With a custom (cooked) Windows Mobile 6 flash, I'm sure I've heard of people using 8Gb Micro SD cards.

Personally I use a 1Gb card that cost £6! Cheap as chips! ;)

4. bigjb

bigjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I have a fujitsu loox n520 which i use for the things you mention.

Firstly it comes with a built in gps receiver so i added gps software and now have a sat nav.

It has wi-fi so can connect to the internet preferably with an unsecured wireless connection :devil:.

I installed core player which IMO is better then the windows media player and watch films stored on sd card in landscape mode.

Also got some puzzle games installed which can pass a good hour or two no problem.