Pda for sat nav

ajm007

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a pda to use for sat nav but unsure which is the best to go for.

I would like it to have built in sirf star III. Must be pda not xda as i don't want it to include phone . I have found Mio P560 and Asus A696 so far. Can anyone reccommend any of these or an alternative?

Hi,

I am currently in the process of turning my asus eee pc into a sat nav. Might be a bit bigger than you want, but if you want more than a sat nav then this may be an idea for you. Need to find a gps program, i'm going to use tom tom 6, a bluetooth adaptor, can be had for under £10, and a sirf 3 gps, one on orange website for £30, also the eee pc is about the £220 mark. So all in about £300 gets you a linux pc with wifi and a sat nav.

Just a thought

I use a Navman PIN570 I bought from Halfords for £99 .Fantastic bit of kit as it already comes with SmartST on it as it has a built it GPS reciever . But ,I use TomTom 6 on it with the UK & Western European map .So, now I have the choice of 2 programs to use ,but always use TT .Would'nt be without it . TomTom , I would say it the best software to use , but theres a few types of PDA's to choose from .I suppose the PIN570 maybe getting on now , but it still does the job and does it well . I was looking at some second hand ones on ebay recently ,possibly to buy and do up & sell on.These things are very easy to use ,everything goes onto one SD card ,theres lots of software for it too ,like video/mp3 playing , and with a SDIO wi-fi card you can get the internet. It runs on WM2003 ,again thie OS is a bit old but is still OK.

HP are still knocking out the old Ipaq:

The recently released:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF05a/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-80594387.html

Which doesn't have built in sat nav but does run Windows Mobile 6 Classic instead of Premium and bluetooth so you could get a little SIRF bluetooth GPS receiver. It also has a bigger screen and faster CPU then the Asus model but I've never heard of: Marvell PXA310 Processor myself? The Asus looks pretty good if ugly. I would also recommend you check you can use your chosen sat nav software with the built in GPS before buying your chosen device just to make sure.

Why SiRF 3 anyway? I use this:
http://www.bluenext.co.uk/bluetooth-gps/bn-800gr-bluetooth-gps-6.html

With Tom Tom 6 on my SE P1i smart phone, I'm gonna get the SE G900 when it's out and hopefully Tom Tom 7 will be out then too for mobiles. But my GPS uses the Nemerix chip and it works great, pretty good sensitivity. You only need to pick up 3 satellites to get a fix. As someone on this site told me once :)

@apolloa

I do like the look of the Ipaq's but the lack of built in gps antenna is what puts me off. I don't like the idea of having another item to be carrying around would rather everything in one unit.

@meansizzler

Which one are you refferring to as when i click the link it shows loads? Are you refferring to the mio P350, or P550? If so that is why i am looking at the new P560 machine but can't seem to get many reviews as it is a newish pda.

Hi,

I am currently in the process of turning my asus eee pc into a sat nav. Might be a bit bigger than you want, but if you want more than a sat nav then this may be an idea for you. Need to find a gps program, i'm going to use tom tom 6, a bluetooth adaptor, can be had for under £10, and a sirf 3 gps, one on orange website for £30, also the eee pc is about the £220 mark. So all in about £300 gets you a linux pc with wifi and a sat nav.

Just a thought

I am very interested in this as I am hoping to do the same. How are you going to run TomTom 6 on the eee? Have you managed to rip the software from one of the TomTom devices (which run Linux I believe)?

It would be very helpful to get a bit more info on how you have got this working.

I dont think TT will run on Linux .I've heard people putting XP on to these eee PC's ,again ,I dont know how TT will run on XP .However ,there is mapping software that runs on Linux , that's Maemomap , running on the google maps [also other maps too] . I have it running on my Nokia770 and it's good using a separate GPS receiver [Holox].I'm curious about the other satnav software .

I dont think TT will run on Linux .I've heard people putting XP on to these eee PC's ,again ,I dont know how TT will run on XP .However ,there is mapping software that runs on Linux , that's Maemomap , running on the google maps [also other maps too] . I have it running on my Nokia770 and it's good using a separate GPS receiver [Holox].I'm curious about the other satnav software .

The only separate software I am aware of TomTom selling is for the PocketPC which I already have. I think some of the TomTom devices do run Linux (I think - I'm not sure) but I thought that they had ARM processors so even then the software wouldn't run on a PC.

I shall have a look at Maemomap and see what it's like.

There is a product that was called InfoMap Navigator that used to run on Linux but the recent versions don't AFAICT although I read somewhere that they are planning to release a Linux version at some unspecified date in the future but I wouldn't hold your breath while you wait.

EDIT:

Maemomap runs on the Nokia 770 (I daresay you knew this but I didn't) but currently doesn't seem to compile on Ubuntu which is what I need to do so unfortunately it looks like I shall have to keep looking.

P350or P550, not seen the 560, you can run any software on their, garmin mobilext, tom tom or mio map....

I have used quite a few PDA's with TomTom - currently using a HTC Kaiser (o2 Stellar).
Its actually the first I have had with a built in GPS and it performs as good as my TomTom GPS mk2 (uses Sirf Star 3 chipset).

I can certainly recommend this device.

Tone

If your not interested in Bluetooth or wifi, which I take it your not go fort he P360 then, not sure if it's out yet, but only difference between 360 and 350 is Mobile 6 OS and SDHC support, the mio software has a very nice GUI and the 2D maps look great

Which one are you refferring to as when i click the link it shows loads? Are you refferring to the mio P350, or P550? If so that is why i am looking at the new P560 machine but can't seem to get many reviews as it is a newish pda.

Wow, I would DEFINITELY get the Mio 560 mate. It looks totally stunning like a Glofiish PDA.

Here's what they look like if anyone's interested:

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/07/03/the-new-mio-p360-and-p560/

And you can buy it from here, it say's it's in stock at the mo and I think the company has a good rep?

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/902/mio-p560

Thanks for all the replies.:thumbsup:

It looks like the P560 is the one to go for as it does have what i am looking for. Just wondered if i were makeing a rush decision without knowing what else is out there.

I will have to check out Handtec.co.uk as they do seem to be the cheapest so far thanks for the link apolloa

Thanks for all the replies.:thumbsup:

It looks like the P560 is the one to go for as it does have what i am looking for. Just wondered if i were makeing a rush decision without knowing what else is out there.

I will have to check out Handtec.co.uk as they do seem to be the cheapest so far thanks for the link apolloa

No worry's mate I hope you enjoy it. It's a limited market now a day's for PDA only devices. Everyone seems to be knocking out smartphones instead. Just check your chosen sat nav software will work with the built in GPS.

I must say it's a nice looking bit of kit [P560] ,but ,it's a lot of money for what it does [£250] .I know you get the built in GPS & WM6 ,but you'll have to buy Satnav software on top . A ordinary satnav from say Halfords can cost under £80 nowadays . I got a Ubiquio 401 last year [OS=WM5] , it's a PDA , has BT ,Wi-Fi , it's a phone , plays mp3's ,plays videos , I run TomTom 6 with UK & WE maps and it was only £127 . TT was extra .If you dont need wi-fi or phone ,you just turn them off.I know the screen is smaller but you get an all in one for the money.

Thanks apolloa i have checked the software and it says it will run Tomtom 6 so that is what i will be using.

@rickyt

It is a lot of money as you say compaired to dedicated sat nav units but i want it for use as a pda aswell as satnav so it is not limited to just using it when i am needing to go somewhere i have never been before. Just checked out the Ubiquio 401 and it looks like it is now discontinued.

All i need to know now is the best place to buy the Mio P560. Best price and reliable shop. Any help greatly appreciated.

Check out the Ubiquio website for other models & Expansys have a range of goods , not sure about their prices though , but I've bought a few things from them before ...no problems .

h*tp://w*w.ubiquio.com
h*tp://w*w.expansys.com

no live links ..........just change to the appropiate letters.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

I ordered my Mio P560 yesterday and it has came this morning. On first view it looks ok. I have just put it on charge so can't really test it as yet but will later.

Can someone please tell me how i check to see how much mem is actualy installed and get other system specs?

Thanks to everyone that helped.

I ordered my Mio P560 yesterday and it has came this morning. On first view it looks ok. I have just put it on charge so can't really test it as yet but will later.

Can someone please tell me how i check to see how much mem is actualy installed and get other system specs?

Hi ajm007,

I can't help you with the mem & system specs issue as i dont have one (nor any wm6 device). However, like you, i am looking for a PDA with GPS. I have been put off so far by the length of time it takes similar SirfStarIII-equipped devices to initially lock on to the GPS satellites. Have you given the GPS a road-test yet? and if so, what sort of initial lock-on time are you averaging and are you getting any drop outs whilst moving (walking/car etc)?
Thanks very much

Sorry it took so long to reply been really busy. I have had no problems with this unit regarding dropouts not happened to me yet. Also it is really quick picking up a signal from switching on the unit. The first time i used it for satnav it took about 45 seconds to pick up a sat but ever since it picks up even quicker. In the house it may take a little longer but only a few secs.

ajm007 seems to have found a solution.

Interesting Eee PC ideas in this thread, but:
Can I ask, if anyone has had experience of a bigger screen device to enable 800 pixel wide web browsing and navigation, what is good and bad.
Must be more compact than the Eee as well.
Example the Nokia N810.

Lots of new UMPC and MID devices coming soon, but mostly more expensive.

Sorry it took so long to reply been really busy. I have had no problems with this unit regarding dropouts not happened to me yet. Also it is really quick picking up a signal from switching on the unit. The first time i used it for satnav it took about 45 seconds to pick up a sat but ever since it picks up even quicker. In the house it may take a little longer but only a few secs.

Excellent. Thanks very much ajm007.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom