1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA for home automation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by duncs, Nov 21, 2003.

1. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping someone would be able to confirm that the following is feasible.

I had been looking at purchasing a Pronto until I started reading the threads on the Axim. I have pretty much decided to get the X3i as the idea of built in Consumer IR and Wifi is very attractive.

I would like to use the Axim to control my current kit (see sig below) plus any new AV kit I shall be buying soon (PD30 or PF2 and Sky+).

Eventually, I will be looking to add some basic home automation, dimming lights to start with and then who knows. So my questions;

1 - Can I use the Axim to control an IR to RF converter and then control x10 (or similar)
    2 - does x10 (or similar) have discrete control of the dimming level. Ie can I dim the lights to a certain level regardless of the current dimmer level.
    3 - Can the Axim display the current settings for x10 via the IR/RF converter
    4 - If the above are not possible, could I use Wifi to interrogate/control x10 via my PC. I am not clear on Wifi but would want both my PC and Axim to connect to my router and my Axim to connect direct to my PC. Is this possible?
    5 - Longer term, it would be nice to add x10 video survalance. Could this be displayed on the Axim?
    6 - Could I add voice control for x10 to the Axim?
    7 - Is X10 the best route to go down?

Thanks for your time to help someone in the dark with all this.

:smashin:

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?