1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA destroyed by third party charger - advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lisag, Apr 27, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I could really use some advice. I bought this 3 in 1 charger kit for my Sony Clie PEG-T625C, plugged it into the mains, the clie started flashing the palm splash screen, there was a faint 'electrical' smell and now my Clie is totally dead.... Looks like the charger killed it, any ideas on how I should approach the company who sold me the charger, or what my rights are?

:( lisa

2. TVTina

TVTina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lisa. Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm no expert but I imagine you would need to prove that the charger was faulty. Do you know anyone who could check it out for you? Not by plugging into a Sony Clie though! The company seems to sell a lot of stuff, so I'm sure they value their reputation.

Good luck!

Tina

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Thanks Tina,

I have sent the charger back to them, at their request, I think I will be lucky to get any compensation. Trading Standards have confirmed that I do have a case against them, but if I have to take them to small claims court it probably is not going to be worth the hassle or the cost.

Thanks for the reply.
    lisa

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,574
    The Small Claims procedure is relatively painless & inexpensive. However, you need to be aware that the case will be transferred to the defendents local court which may be impractical for you to attend. The system is also fairly flawed in that anyone with the will to do so can drive the proverbial coach & horses through the procedures, easily stringing proceedings out for a year or more. Even if your claim is successful there is no guarantee of actually getting paid. Have a look here.

You've probably damaged any case you had against them by returning the goods before confirmimg independently that they were faulty. All the seller has to do now is respond that the charger has been fully tested with no fault found.

As for this seller valuing their reputation, I think their negative feedback tells you all you need to know in this respect.

While I can sypathise with you to some extent, what on earth were you thinking when buying from a seller with a negative comment for virtually every working day of the last 12 months? :nono:

Caveat Emptor :lesson:

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Ok, thanks for the advice and the telling off - a lesson learnt I suppose. :rolleyes: In my defence - they do have 24,285 positive feedback against 289 negative, I thought it would be worth a try for £15, after all the worse that can happen is that it won't work.......... or so I thought :rolleyes: