1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA as an alternative to New Pronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by PFM, Oct 10, 2001.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A while back(2months) I caught the tail end of the Buyers Guide on Sky's .TV channel and the resident expert was talking about using his colour PDA in the place of a PHilips pronto.
    I own a pronto and cannot believe how good it is, but I would like a colur one... However I think they are a bit over priced for the technology.

Does anyone know of any PDA's that have the capacity/software & hardware to do the same task as the pronto.

It must exist as otherwise I dont believe they would have Aired it on the sadly now demised channel

Anyone any Ideas?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

2. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like they were referring to Omniremote, a remote programe for Palm OS. There seem to be several drawbacks that I've heard people complain about. The battery life is bad enough in normal use. The position and size of the IR port on Palm (Visors have them on the side). The IR port is designed to work over a distance of inches, and is unreliable over normal viewing distances. I got the impression that the only IR port that was reliable was the add on for pre IRDA Palms, but are any of these colour?
    Personally, I'm waiting for the Colour Matantz to come out, I really want the cursor buttons!

Martin.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Nice idea but as a replacement for the Pronto it just doesn't work as a solution. I suggest you drop this one.

Been there, done that, failed as well!

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Nice idea but as a replacement for the Pronto it just doesn't work as a solution. I suggest you drop this one.

Been there, done that, failed as well! :D

5. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at AVSforum there are alot of guys trying to use epods, 3com audrey's, and Compaq I-paq's to control stuff using wireless lan cards. Orange also used an Ipaq to control their future house project. I haven't tried myself as I prefer the simpicity of the pronto

6. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks

If its not yet viable then fair enough I'll stick with my green Pronto Monochrome.

You'd have thought that with the rise in PDA's that a viable solution/pronto emulator would have been developed. And with regard to the above comments reference the reliability of the IR, I find this incredible that such an issue has not been resolved (even by a maplins electronics enthusiast!)
    Nic what was the results of your research (just out of interest before I either Drop this one or approach Compaq with a Business Idea?)

Also If PDA's are so cheap (incomparison to the Pronto (monochrome & colour) and IR sensors & transmitters are but pence to purchase why hasnt anyone done this (£500 for a PDA with pronto capabilities - fine but ~£700 for a Remote control) & I own a first generation machine!!!! :confused:

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Take a look at PDAWIN. The TV Remote Controller software is exactly what you are looking for. It even uses ProntoPro CCF files. Only problem is the IR emitter on the iPaq is very (very) weak. If only I could make it stronger then I'd have the PERFECT remote (the iPaq didn't cost me a bean!!)

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The problem is not with the software but the power of the IR transmitter. Palm worked well to about 1m, useless unless you stand next to the TV. Other PDAs are similar. Remote controls have much more powerful IR transmitters.

9. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have tried the software form PDAwin, and it work ok, with a 3 meter or more distance on my iPAC 3850,
    and if you use the Pronto edit software then you can design your own remote interface,
    there is an other remote programe that is able to use CCF file , that is Net Remote, but it does not support IR, but uses wireless (net remote is here)
    I have also a DVD profile type program called Movie CE on my iPAC so i can keep track on my collection, you can view the program Here

Steve Morris