1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA as a web browser

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Sheks, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

Did a search for this but didn't come up with much.

Just got my wireless network working, A Linksys WAG54G wired to my computer and an old wireless card in my laptop (only running at "b" speed tho).

I am considering purchasing a PDA, but wanted to know how effective/practical they are as web browsers, i.e. could I view the avforums web site on it? Only want it for casual surfing really.

I am considering a Dell X30 with wireless built-in, is this a good choice?, what else should I consider, any recommendations as to where best to buy?

Also may consider some form of sat-nav in the future - would the X30 be ok for this?

Anyone have an x30 and comment on the battery life under "real life" conditions.

Thanks inadvance for any response.

Sheks

Another quick thought, may also want to control the hi-fi/home cinema kit with it in the future - any advice appreciated.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've got an iPAQ 2210 and have used it, briefly, to browse the web. It works OK but as the screen is only 320*240 you have to do a lot of scrolling.

As for a remote for home cinema, I use mine all the time. Get a copy of PDAWIN and you can use standard Pronto CCFs. Dead easy to create your own with Pronto Edit.

John

3. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    IMHO the best PDAs for browsing are Pocket PCs with VGA screens which, at 640x480 pixels, have 4 times as many pixels as normal Pocket PCs. Until recently the OS did not support VGA, but the latest version (Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition) supports it in both portrait and landscape (which I find best for browsing). Most webpages fit nicely with 640 pixel width (instead of 240 on a standard PDA in portrait mode), and those that don't do not require much scrolling.

Now that it is supported, a few new VGA PDAs are appearing from HP, Asus etc, but you might be able to get a deal on the slightly older Toshiba e800/e805 that came out late last year. I've got one and it's a lovely machine: a bit bulky but with loads of memory (128Mb RAM + 32Mb ROM + 32Mb Flash) and the best looking screen I've ever seen on a PDA. Initially the only way to get VGA was using several hacks to get round the limitations of the OS, but Toshiba released a free upgrade to the latest OS a couple of months ago. It integrates VGA seamlessly by using higher resolution icons and the option of smaller text in various applications. I must admit that Internet Explorer seemed to make more of the extra pixels when using the hacks, but it's still pretty good with the new OS, and there are alternatives that are supposed to work better at higher resolutions (NetFront gets good mentions on various forums).

Cheers,
    Ian.