1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDA and Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by steven21, Nov 3, 2004.

1. steven21

steven21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning on getting a PDA (Ipaq 2210) and want to get a Sat Nav system, can anyone recommend any. preferably cheap options.

doesnt need to be sat nav, even somehitng just with UK street maps.

thanks!!!!!!!!!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I don't have an Ipaq(got a Sony Bluetooth PDA here) but the Navman GPS systems are very good value,and reliable.
    Hihgly recommended....mine navigated us all the way over France this summer,incl round Paris with no probs....the bundled software and maps are also very comprehensive.

3. steven21

steven21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help??

thanks anyway alexs2 appreciate it

4. dustjunky

dustjunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an iPaq 4150 with TomTom Navigator and it is definately my best gadget for removing the stress of driving. I would recommend it to anyone (although it does come at a fairly steep price).

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have a 2210 and Tom Tom which is around 2 years old. It sometimes locks up and you really need to load a freeware ukpostcode bit of software which will give easier navigation as the TT software only gives you the option of using the first few letters of the code.

But.........you can buy a Medion package (Halfords do them, but dont buy one from them), there are special offers to be had at places like Aldi (keep checking as they come and go quickly), they come pre-packaged with software (I think its Navigon) all loaded onto flash cards, dont seem to lock up and seem to work really well and all for £300 or less (I think they were selling at £269.00). Halfords sell them for around £350.00. The Medion is well specified with a 400 Mhz CPU and has windows software, with a nice bright screen and display.

The 2210 is a bit of a pain, costs more and the software is slightly unstable. One advantage is that you can upgrade the software (except last time I was charged £30 and got a few icons :confused: ), support from TomTom is very poor.

There is a PocketGPS forum similar to this, which is great for making assesments.

Hope this helps.