PDA/Active sync connecting (not)

mburton2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope one of you nice people out there can help.....

All of a sudden, my Dell Axim x51v has stopped conneting to PC via ActiveSync (Works PC is using ActiveSync Ver 4.1.0 Build4841, Not sure what my home PC is using, but I'm assuming the same!)

Its been working fine since Feb. Then on the same day (20th this month), it will no longer connect to EITHER PC (I first thought I'd screwed up a Firewall setting at home).

The PC's recognise the PDA is attached (Status goes from "Not Connected" to "Connecting") and I get the little "ding-a-ling" noise. But thats as far as it gets...."Connecting" but never "Connected"

This is all via a USB Cradle (Work) or a 3rd-party USB sync'n'charge cable at home.

Any suggestions on what I can try?.

Sounds like the partnership has become corrupted. First try a soft reset. Next try deleting the partnership from the PC. When you set it back up again you will have to give it a different partnership name as activesync doesn't delete the old name out of the registry. Finally if none of the above has worked, try a hard reset and wipe the PDA.

Failing that you could try a BlueTooth dongle on your PC and try it that way.

pxr5 said:
Failing that you could try a BlueTooth dongle on your PC and try it that way.

Hmm...I've tried several times to use Bluetooth on a couple of PCs, and NEVER had any luck.

It seems strange that both the PC at home,AND work stopped syncing the SAME day with the PDA......

I can connect the PDA to my WiFi network at home, and update/sync my AvantGo settings.....

Are you trying to sync your Outlook email from an Exchange server? If this is the case have you changed your Windows logon password recently (on the day everything stopped working)? When ever people come to me with this problem this is usually the cause.

grey fox said:
Are you trying to sync your Outlook email from an Exchange server? If this is the case have you changed your Windows logon password recently (on the day everything stopped working)? When ever people come to me with this problem this is usually the cause.

Ooooh....I know I've changed my PW on the Works system recently, although I THOUGHT it was AFTER the problems started....woudl that have an effect on my PC at home though??

WHERE on the PDA can I change the setting??....Im running Windows Mobile 5 on the PDA.

mburton2 said:
Ooooh....I know I've changed my PW on the Works system recently, although I THOUGHT it was AFTER the problems started....woudl that have an effect on my PC at home though??

WHERE on the PDA can I change the setting??....Im running Windows Mobile 5 on the PDA.

If you are trying to sync items on your home pc, those should go through okay, I think. The only aspect this should be affecting is your email.

Try this on your PDA and see if it works...

Opem active sync
Tap Menu>Configure Server
Tap Next (you shouldn't need to change the server address)
You should now be at your password settings, so put in your current password, and then tap Next.
Tap Finish

And now try synchronising.

I hope this helps

Well Thats not going to work :(

I go into ActiveSync, tap menu, and have the following options:
Options
Status
Add server source
Connections
Connect via IR
Connect Via BlueTooth.

If I go into OPTIONS, I get: Choose the data you want to sync, and a list of "Contacts, calender, e-mail etc"....and this is available for both "WorcPC" and "Windows PC <HOME>)

STATUS, I get a "Last syncronised Date:time" Work PC
"Last syncronised Date:time" HomePC

ADD SERVER SOURCE:
serveraddress:<BLANK> and
"This server requires an encrypted (SSL) Connection is ticked. (Should it be?, I'm assuming it makes no diference)

CONNECTIONS:
when cradles, sychronised all PCs using this connection: USB

Does that help eliminate anything?

Thanks for your on-going help!!

EDIT - I just want to check, do you use Exchange at work as your email server? If so try following the steps below to see if they help. And also on the Last Synchronised Date:Time fields are they current?

Hmm. It looks as though your mail servers address has been deleted for some reason.

If you can remember the server address address, tap Add Server Source and the first part you get to should ask you to enter the servers address, and then your username, password etc. Go through this but leave the SSL option clear, and after you have completed the settings try to sync. If it fails, try to contact your IT department or whoever set up your system for further help.

If you can't remember the server's address, contact your IT department and they should be able give it to you.

If you don't mind me asking, do you use Terminal Services (aka Remote Desktop Connection) to connect to your work email and documents from your home PC? If you do the server address you need may be the same as this, so try it and it might work. This is how I set things up at my workplace.

I hope this helps and please let me know how you get on.

Hmmm..some good questions;
No, I don't remote desk access thingy....no vpn or anything

I THINK we use exchange...how could I tell? (I know our mail server is in Dearborn....& theres LOTS (more than 10k people worldwide) of people in the company.

As for the mail server addresd, No idea...but would that effect my home PC syncing?
I'm currenlty without "real" internet access untill Monday (using GPRS on the Axim at the moment, no WiFi here)...so I guess Monday will be the first chance I'll have to try your reccomendations....

Again, Thanks for you persistance.... :)

I think the best advice I could give you at the moment would be to talk to the IT department at work. They will know all the server settings that you will need, like the appropriate name and whether SSL is required.

Good luck and please keep me posted. We use a few PDA's where I work and it would be interesting to know what the problem and solution was. Thanks and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Well, Thanks for your suggestions...

The bit that worries me, is that it stopped syncing at home on the same day...makes me think there's something corrupt/wrong setting on the PDA.. :(

If I solve the issue, I'll let you know!

OK, I'm now more than ever convinced that the issue is with the settings on the PDA....

I've been here playing with it (oo-eer!) for a while, and the damb things getting worse....locking up, confusing me etc (ie The WiFi will be switched off, yet I have the little aerial symbol showing, with scrolling arrows, like its searching for a network. The only way to get rid of this icon is to enable WiFi, then Dis-able it....

After doing that, the PDA locks up, and requires a softreset!:mad:

If anyone has an x51v, and woudl liek to run throught the Connections>Settings:
Avantgo (This IS working, but only via WiFi)
Dell WLAN Utility
Network Cards
Odyssey Client (What is this???...what does it do?))

I would be dead chuffed!

OK, Just Upgraded to ActiveSync 4.2.0 (build 4876), Downloaded from MS tonight.

Still nothing.

Been through the MS Help, and been throught the Firewall settings for Norton/Windows.

Opened ActiveSync, and went
File>ConnectionSettings>Connect and then got the following report:

YOUR device was not detectedVerify that the connection you are using is available:

PORT STATUS
COM1 Not Available
COM2 Not Installed
COM4 Available
Infrared Port (IR) Not Installed
USB Connected

So its says Its NOT connected at the top, yet Says its connected Via USB WTF???

Anything else I can try??
:confused: :lease:

Just gone into ControlPanel>Network Connections:

And under LAN or HIGH SPEED INTERNET, it Shows Local Area Connection6; CONNECTED Windows Mobile-Based Device. :?: ActivSync still shows no connection.

I'm SO confused!

Just looking at the Network connections on my works PC....It says connected to Windows Mobile based device, The timer shows its been connected for 11 mins, and that 822 data packets have been sent, and slighty less received..

ActiveSync still says "Connecting"

:lease: :confused:

UPDATE

Just dropped a friends x50v in the cradle, and managed to get it to connect at a guest with no issues.....

any further suggestions??

OK, So it looks like the issue is with the PDA, not ActiveSync or the Host PC. (See previous posts)

anyone know what settings can "adjust" on the x51v or MobileWindow 5 device ??

Can't see anywhere in your previous posts that say you've tried a HARD reset.

Appreciate that this will wipe the device but more often than not this will sort unresolvable Activesync issues

Even more likely this will resolve it if a friends identical device synchs ok on the same PC

You are correct, I have not done a HARD re-set.

At the moment I have a PDA I can sort of use (Address's, SatNav, Surf via WiFi/GPRS).....

If I Hard Reset, and cant get ActivSync to work...I'm stuffed!.

But I'm running out of ideas to try....so it may come to that soon.

mburton2 said:
You are correct, I have not done a HARD re-set.

At the moment I have a PDA I can sort of use (Address's, SatNav, Surf via WiFi/GPRS).....

If I Hard Reset, and cant get ActivSync to work...I'm stuffed!.

But I'm running out of ideas to try....so it may come to that soon.

Do you not have a backup app on the PDA you can take an image with, then if you still have a problem you can just restore the PDA to the way it was before. A good backup app is always worth having anyway in case your battery dies on the road etc..

I only have the std back-up application (Address's etc, but NOT applications)

MW5 does not loose all data in the event of a flat battery.

Is there an application I can download onto the SD/CF card, and run from there?

I use SPB Backup.

Backs up the whole device as an executable onto your SD card that you can just run from file explorer to restore your device.

You can also set it to run scheduled backups.

Wouldn't be without it now

(from memory i believe the trial version also gives you 5 full runs to try backing up and restoring before you have to activate it)

sorry to resurect an old thread but i am having very similar problems with my WM5 Vario II.

PC detects pda, connects network to wm device, active sync makes detection noise but never connects.

have done soft reset and hard reset but no success, any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom