PD9700 PSU Problem, Should i swap for a PX70??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Save Me Jebus, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Save Me Jebus

Save Me Jebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now in the process of returning my second Hitachi 42PD9700 due to a hissing/buzzing/whining sound which appears to be a common fault.

My question is, this model is obviously nearing the end of production and will no doubt soon to be replaced, so do i get a straight replacement, or change to the new Panasonic TH42PX70???

2. giggsy13

giggsy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    depends what you use it for mostly? it is amazing on HD material, v good but not amazing via freeview built in, but sky SD looks tons better. normal dvd playback is amazing via a good upscale player.

gaming is superb, you may or may not see the green edge tinge on some high contrast, fast moving games - i dont have a prob

the blacks on the panny are best i have seen, even better than pioneer who i thought were best! very cinematic experience watching good quality, modern films.

all in all a total bargain for the price

3. Save Me Jebus

Save Me Jebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my tv for Sky HD movies and sport, normal tv, PS3 and dvd's.
    I'm not sure if my dvd player is upscaling (Harman/Kardon DVD37).

4. dugee

dugee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had 2 hitachis as well with the psu problem jlewis offered a third or get a different set,I didnt really want a different one as apart from the psu problem I did really like it but i couldnt handle getting another and it having the same problem so went with the px70 which I wasnt sure about after reading threads about the older px60 problems and there was only 1 review on the px70 but having had it 2 weeks now it is better picture wise than the hitachi and mine is very very quiet.The only thing better on the hitachi is the sound less the psu whine.
    Dug

5. norfbech

norfbech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Doesn't the PX70 upscale better than any upscale player out there?

I can't hear any such whine from my PX70...admittedly I have a little tinnitus which may be phasing it out :(

6. dugee

dugee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The psu whine is from the hitachi..

7. norfbech

norfbech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    sorry yes...but I've been reading about how plasma's emit this hum/sound...I thought I heard it yesterday, but it was the hum from the fridge. Barely noticeable.

8. dugee

dugee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you aint heard nothin till you hear the hitachi its not a buzz its like a very high pitched sound my first 1 you could not stay in a room with it for very long 2nd one not as bad but now the px70 i have is very quiet slight buzz when standing at it with no sound but perfect compared to the hitachi.
    Dug

9. tingull

tingull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just like to say not every 9700 buzzes, and sky sd pq is very good allso, fair enough blacks are better on the panny px70, but mine arnt bad if its set up ok. Allso i carnt see myself that the px70 looks as good as the 9700 to much black on the px70, and on its cabinet stand it looks even worse. Connectivity on the 9700 is better allso, but at the end of the day i can see your point with you having 2 9700's with free dog wistles i dont blame you.

I know the panny owners not like my comments :D but someones gotto put 9700's points across, they aint all bad, theres allot of owners out there that think the hitachi is ok. Just seems unless you own a panny or pioneer you panel is no good and it aint allways the case.

Thx tingull :)

10. Save Me Jebus

Save Me Jebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do really rate the 9700, and if it wasn't for the 'dog wistle' i'd be more than happy with it, but i'm just not sure i'd like to risk getting the same problem again. Though maybe i should try again, 3rd time lucky and all that???

If i were to swap, the cabinet on the PX70 wouldn't be an issue as i have my TV on the pedestal, and i'm not fussed about it not being motorised as that's more of a novelty to show off to my mates than a useful feature.
    I think i read somewhere that the Panny only has 2 scarts though, is this the case?
    Are there any flatscreens out there with 3x HDMI's?? Now that i've got Sky HD, PS3 and an HDMI dvd player, 2 just isn't enough!

11. chris_breadon

chris_breadon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt swop at all... i would rather get it fixed only takes about 2weeks for the part to arrive and 30 mins to install... well worth the time waitin!

12. dugee

dugee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It depends where you bought it jlewis Edinburgh wanted to take it away to repair so then went through hitachi who puts you onto a hitachi repairer near you and they were just the same had to uplift and they new what was exactly wrong as they had one in as we spoke and said if I did get another 3rd replacement there wqas a good chance it would be the same. So it all depends on where you buy your set if they will repair on sight.But have not been a bit disapointed with the px70 in any way.
    Dug

13. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Love my dads pv500 & love my pd9700 (pd i think is a bargain for the money but i have yet to see the new px70/700 in action)