Pd5200e Hd Ready Or Not?

skaps

Standard Member
Reaction score
i was sold my hitachi pd5200e on the understanding it was hd ready, could any tell if it is, and if not why, JUST FOUND THIS ON HITACHI WEBSITE, NOW I AM CONFUSED :confused:

Does the 42PD5200 DVI socket support HDCP (High Definition Digital Content Protection)?
Yes, it supports HDCP.

What is HDCP and why is it important to have?
HDCP stands for High Definition Digital Content Protection and was developed by Intel as a decoding/encoding method to prevent copying of protected material.

DVD players with DVI or HDMI outputs will be HDCP enabled and DVD?s shall also contain this encryption. If a HDCP protected DVD is played in a DVD player or TV without HDCP then no picture or sound will be produced.

Satellite broadcasters transmitting Hi-Definition material shall also utilise HDCP in their broadcasts to protect certain content.

Also do a search in the plasma forums for 5200 and you'll find lots of useful info from a couple of months ago when many were asking the same question

The "problem" is that it doesn't support 720p at 50Hz, only at 60Hz. That's potentially a problem because Sky are suggesting their HD services will be broadcast at 50Hz.

I've been told that an upgrade may be made available, if I hear any more I'll post it here.

No it's not HD ready its HD Compatible. It cant accept 720p @50hz through either the DVI or Component imput.

Hitachi did release a 5200 H series that could accept 720p @ 50hz through a upgraded DVI - however they left the component imput ( needed for Xbox 360 ) .

Hitachi has advised that no upgrade will be offered - call them 08704054405

If you bought a the screen as you were advised by the shop it was Hd Ready take it back... I did richersounds sold me one check out the thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235501&highlight=Hitachi+42pd5200

ricki1980 said:
Hitachi did release a 5200 H series that could accept 720p @ 50hz through a upgraded DVI - however they left the component imput ( needed for Xbox 360 ) .

Hi
The Xbox 360 will run fine through component on the 5200 models as the 360 outputs 720p at 50 or 60hz. So no probs.

jedi-jae said:
The "problem" is that it doesn't support 720p at 50Hz, only at 60Hz. That's potentially a problem because Sky are suggesting their HD services will be broadcast at 50Hz.

I've been told that an upgrade may be made available, if I hear any more I'll post it here.

I don't think it is a suggestion! Sky will definitely be running their operation at 50Hz - to be compatible with their SD operations.

AIUI their receiver is designed to support 1080/50i and 720/50p broadcasts. IF it supports cross-conversion (as many in the US do), then it might be able to fix the output at 1080/50i, meaning 720/50p broadcasts are converted by the receiver and output as 1080/50i. However if it doesn't do this, and Sky do use 720p, then you're stuffed if your display doesn't accept 720/50p.

It is expected that Sky will use 720/50p for sports output (as progressive scanning deals with motion better, and requires less bandwith for a given picture quality than 1080i, or delivers better picture quality in a given bandwith) - though they may chose 1080/50i for entertainment (Sky One) and Film (Sky Movies) They may also use 1080/50i for Artsworld (as almost all the output on this channel will have been shot 1080/60i or 1080/50i)

soulfly said:
Hi
The Xbox 360 will run fine through component on the 5200 models as the 360 outputs 720p at 50 or 60hz. So no probs.

Thats incorrect,

there is a big differnece between PAL60Hz (570) and NTSC60Hz (480) and the few games support PAL60hz.
The Xbox dashboard ask's if your TV supports PAL60 and if so then when you put in a PAL game that supports PAL60 your TV will take advantage of it and you get a better frame rate. Only 5 PAL games were encoded to support PAL60 Halo,Splinter Cell.

The Hitachi 5100/5200 Pannel Supports NTSC60hz (480) not PAL60Hz (570) , they are two different things and by selecting 60hz in the dash board wont change anything on a PAL50hz game of which makes up 99% .

hi, i have the same problem, i got mine from sky who said it would be compatable with the new hdtv box.but, and this is a big but,they have anounced that the box will give out a 25hz signal,i know ,i dont understand either, but(the big but again) they promissed me it would work, so i hope i can nail them if it dont, there are ways of getting round it by converting the signal to 15 pin conection(old pc monitor type ,keen do one) i know thats not a pure way of doing it but at least all is not lost sky did not know what they were talking about, it took me about a month to get a sensable reply from them, they kept telling me the same thing, often repeating what i told them, good luck!

Stephen Neal said:
I don't think it is a suggestion! Sky will definitely be running their operation at 50Hz - to be compatible with their SD operations.

AIUI their receiver is designed to support 1080/50i and 720/50p broadcasts. IF it supports cross-conversion (as many in the US do), then it might be able to fix the output at 1080/50i, meaning 720/50p broadcasts are converted by the receiver and output as 1080/50i. However if it doesn't do this, and Sky do use 720p, then you're stuffed if your display doesn't accept 720/50p.

It is expected that Sky will use 720/50p for sports output (as progressive scanning deals with motion better, and requires less bandwith for a given picture quality than 1080i, or delivers better picture quality in a given bandwith) - though they may chose 1080/50i for entertainment (Sky One) and Film (Sky Movies) They may also use 1080/50i for Artsworld (as almost all the output on this channel will have been shot 1080/60i or 1080/50i)
I have a 5200, and hd on my 360 works perfectly through component. no issues at all

The 5200 works at 1080i of course, so 360 is not really a problem. 720 is a problem with sky, but we are still not sure if you can 'force' the output from sky to 1080i. Some channels will definitely be 720, some 1080i, but if you can fix the output of the box to 1080 you'll be fine. Not ideal maybe, but it will work. Early indications suggest this may be possible. Cross your fingers is my advice.

ricki1980 said:
Thats incorrect,

there is a big differnece between PAL60Hz (570) and NTSC60Hz (480) and the few games support PAL60hz.
The Xbox dashboard ask's if your TV supports PAL60 and if so then when you put in a PAL game that supports PAL60 your TV will take advantage of it and you get a better frame rate. Only 5 PAL games were encoded to support PAL60 Halo,Splinter Cell.

The Hitachi 5100/5200 Pannel Supports NTSC60hz (480) not PAL60Hz (570) , they are two different things and by selecting 60hz in the dash board wont change anything on a PAL50hz game of which makes up 99% .

Have you tried this? The Dashboard options change depending upon which cable you use to connect your 360 to your display.

The Component cable has a two position switch - HD and TV. I was under the impression that the 50Hz PAL option was only available when in TV mode, and thus 576/50i or 576/60i output. AIUI the 50/60Hz option in the dashboard is only available with the RGB SCART, Component and Composite cables, and only when the Component cable is in TV mode.

AIUI when you are in component HD mode, with the switch in HD, you only get a choice of 720p or 1080i, with no frame rate setting, as it only supports 60Hz in HD, not 50Hz. The case is similar with VGA, though the resolutions offerered are different, and I believe the display EDID data is read by the XBox 360 to only allow resolutions that it is compatible with.

AIUI using component HD connections the 360 only outputs 720/60p and 1080/60i, with no 50Hz modes... Therefore the 5200 should be fine - and as it is an ALiS display it would be interesting to see whether the 1080i output from the 360 (where the 360 converts 720p to 1080i and then the ALiS crops this to 1024i for display), or the 720p output from the 360 (where the ALiS panel scales this to 512p?) delivers the best result?

This is actually a problem for Samsung HD CRT owners - which only accept 50Hz HD inputs, and won't accept 60Hz HD. Because the 360 won't output HD in 50Hz - they can't use the 360 in HD...

The other comments about the lack of 720/50p compatibility for Sky are valid - until we know if the Sky box will output in permanent 1080/50i it isn't clear how much of a problem this will be.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom