pd5200 help

pw121073

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a hitachi pd5200 over two years ago on the back of top reviews and was told it was hd ready obviously as time has gone on I realise this is not the case, i went to buy a ps3 yesterday and the seller told me that for the blue ray and full capabilty that my tv as not good enogh. obviously i am gutted as my 2 grand would now buy me a top range 1080p t.v. The guy in the shop said that as I had paid 500 pound warranty I should drop it and claim. Has anyone done this or am I completley off the mark and my t.v is still worthy of the ps3 and sky hd. Can someone please advise as i am gutted as i feel i have spent 2k on *****. azif anyone has claimed can you tell me what happened and what upgrade I may get if any? please someone reply

I had one of these. Was fine with Sky HD and PS3. Sky HD was used thru component.
For the PS3 I used a HDMI to DVI converter and then used the output on the multi out on the ps3 for the sound (old composite ps2 cable, DVI doesnt carry a sound signal like HDMI). Wouldn't win awards for picture quality, but worked out fine.
The pd5200 is not hd ready, but hd compatible. just need to fiddle around a bit.

I believe that due to the fact it won't play in 1080p that it does not get anywere near the quality we were told when purchasing the very expensive t.v. I don't know whether to complain to comet or try claiming on the insurance. Thanks for the reply

The price of the TV is a moot point - with electronics you just have to accept the fact that the technology will improve and the cost will decrease. Otherwise you end up waiting permanently for the "greatest and latest" - you just have to take the plunge at some point. I've used a HDMI to DVI converter on a PS3 before as the poster above said and it's fine. From what I've seen anyway, the jump from 1080i to 1080p isn't that noticeable until you get to 50"+ screen sizes.

Please don't drop your TV though. All that will do is push premiums up for the rest of us, and technically it's fraud :devil:. If you are that bothered, upgrade your TV and sell the 5200 or give it to someone else in your family.

That's my tuppence.

I have been told that the pd5200 only goes to 720 and I believe the jump from 720 to 1080 is massive

I have been told that the pd5200 only goes to 720 and I believe the jump from 720 to 1080 is massive

Hmmm, I'm sure that my Xbox 360 is running 1080i over component, and my business partner is running SkyHD on the same TV over DVI.....I'm just digging up the manual now to confirm...

Thanks for that I will order sky HD and see how I get on. With regards the ps3 do you mean you would lose picture quality.

As far as I know, the main difference between DVI and HDMI is that DVI doesn't carry any audio. I imagine the picture quality does degrade a little as you have to use a converter between the two sockets, but the ps3 still looked pretty sweet on my set - I didn't get a chance to watch any movies though, only gaming. To be honest, I haven't got anything to compare it too, as I'm the only one in my circle of friends who's been able to try a ps3 out for any length of time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom