PD30!! ...... Tell me this isn't it!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Uzey, May 20, 2004.

1. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Panasonic TX-32PD30 for a couple of days now and I'm worried! -- The analogue aerial picture is absolutely abysmal! Grainy and blocky! (before, I was watching it on my Sony 14" where the picture was almost perfect!)
    - Watching SKY via RGB SCART produces nothing but 'digitized blocking' all over the picture. For instance, if you look at the SKY One logo you will see a blocky 'halo' around it.It's as if I was watching a Video-CD! This goes for every scanning mode available.
    - The picture I get from my JVC NA-77 DVD player via PAL and NTSC progressive is good but no better than my old Sony 28" widescreen via my old Tosh DVD player via RGB.
    Am I doing something wrong here?
    Is my set faulty?
    After reading all the mag reviews, I wouldn't have said that this was the same TV! :lease:

Also, how do I access and toggle on/off the 'Acuity' setting? Do they not call it Acuity in the menu's?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Uzey,

No, your PD30 should not be doing what you describe.

If you read the various posts on this Forum, you'll see that some PD30's are excellent and some diabolical.

Sounds like yours falls into the latter catagory. :thumbsdow

If it's only a couple of days old, then get back to your supplier pronto!

Acuity switching:

Select picture menu (top left button on remote)

Scroll down to 75/833i (Acuity) on the bottom line of the OSD.

Then left/right for 75/833i, 100Hz, 100Hz Plus and Progressive.

Press Picture Menu again to exit.

Hope this helps.

3. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update!
    The people I bought the TV off sent an engineer today to 'assess' if the TV is faulty or not.
    Guess what!
    At first, he spotted some SCART switches beside the TV and raved that they are crap and they are causing the problem. Whan I explained that I had already eliminated that theory by connecting SKY directly to the TV he claimed that my SCART cables were to blame. When I explained that they are fully screened and cost £20 each he then said that it was because I had connected SKY to AV4 and it should really be on AV1. When I exlained that it WAS on AV1 and anyway, both sockets are RGB enabled he then said that there was nothing wrong with the picture and was going to tell the supplier as such!
    What the (swear word removed-lynx) am I going to do now?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    go direct to panasonic Customer services and get a second opinion from another panny dealer, pay if you have too!!! an engineers report should cost around £25 poss + VAT and call out if it is a long way (read over 5 miles)

5. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uzey,

I'm waiting for my second one (look at my 100hz fotball thread for some probs). If that one is the same it will be my last and will wait for the new jvc 40

gtfc

6. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    His name wasn't MR Wilson from TVRS by any chance :thumbsup:

Sounds like the same guy that came to look at my 23" samsung which is totally crap. He told me that the intense smearing was caused by the set being 100Hz, I switched it to 50hz and it was the same. Basically everything I showed him he said was fine or came up with some crazy reason for it being ok.

I have come to the conclusion that these guys will under no cirumstances report it as being faulty.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Since it's not in their best interests to conclude the set is faulty it may be better to seek an engineer with a degree of impartiality.

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am not defending the engineer as you all sound reasonable compentant people. One thing I must say that you cannot compare a 14" or 28" screen picture to a 32" inch one or even more so a 36" one. Any half decent 14" screen connected to a dvd player or sky box surely will show a far more superior picture. Blow the same picture up to a big plasma or projector and it's just not comparable - putting that aside CRT TV screens are still without doubt more superior.
    Have you thought on getting other peoples opinion i.e friends ?
    I actually saw this screen (36" version) at the Panny dealer and the picture was just amazing (a dvd was playing) , clearly better than the old PF range (mine !!).
    Another point I have heard in some cases particularly with the Panny TV's they DO NOT have a better picture connected via the RGB !!!
    The digitised blocking does sound like the sky box ? Can you borrow someone elses to try ?

9. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV was picked up on Tuesday for someone else to look at.
    I have still heard nothing (Friday).
    The Sky picture is PERFECT on my Panasonic 21" TV (as it was on my old (ish) Sony 28" widescreen). There is absolutely NO digitizing whatsoever!
    Does anybody know if I am entitled to a refund as I would now like to plump for a JVC HV-32D40 but the supplier does not sell that model?
    I'm fed up with this TV and all the other things that I have now heard about it.