1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pd30 scan modes

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stevetiler, May 16, 2004.

1. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could someone please explain to me in laymans terms what the difference is between the four scan modes on the pd30,and in what circumstances(ie sky,dvd,football)you would change these settings.Ive fiddled with them but can't see much difference exept "progressive"seems to flicker a lot!Thanks.
    Steve

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Right then, this is my understanding of the various Panasonic PD30 series scanning modes:

Acuity: This is Panny’s all-singing all-dancing picture processing system which attempts to emulate true high definition, and is the mode you should normally use apart from the exceptions detailed later. Acuity increases the lines on the picture up to 833 so that the line structure is less visible on the larger screen. It also increases the pictures per second from 50 to 75 in order to reduce flicker. Finally, it increases the number of pixels per line to give the effect of a sharper picture. All this sounds wonderful, but alas there’s a downside to all this processing which becomes evident when you watch faster moving pictures such as sport (especially snooker!). So, Panny have kindly provided an alternative:

100Hz: For historical reasons, the picture rate on our TV system is the same as our electricity mains frequency, namely 50 per second. This was fine for smaller screens but as pictures got larger they produced a noticeable flicker. The original answer was to simply repeat each picture, thus displaying 100 pictures per second and eliminating the flicker. Again there’s a downside, because the repeated picture can cause stuttering on some movement, which is why there is:

100Hz Plus: As the name suggests, this is an enhanced version of basic 100Hz. Without getting too technical, instead of simply repeating the picture, the processing looks at two consecutive pictures and guesses (the fancy word is “interpolates”) what the intervening picture should contain. When this is displayed, there’s no flicker and less stutter, so this is the mode to select for fast moving sport. The picture won’t be as sharp as Acuity, but the smoother motion is a better compromise.

Progressive: When TV was developed about 70 years ago, a system called “interlacing” was devised. This was an attempt (long before digital processing became available) to reduce the aforementioned flicker. Basically the picture was split into two “fields”, of odd and even lines, and this gave the effect of doubling the display rate. Again there were undesirable side effects in the form of jittering, and so some DVD players can provide an output which ignores the interlacing and displays a picture in which the lines are progressively displayed. So, this is the mode to select if you have such a player, otherwise (as you’ve seen) Progressive makes matters worse!

As I said, this is my understanding of the situation. If anyone knows different then please feel free to correct me as that’s the way we all learn.

Remember the main thing is to enjoy your new TV, which is one of the best on the market.

Good luck.

3. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks tightgit,a very comprehensive answer!It all becomes clear now and I agree with you it is one of the best crts around!Thanks again.
    Steve

4. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps I have found the 833/75 great for 95% of things but the 100 plus was ideal for the live footie yesterday. I am still looking for the service menu info if anyone has it ..I have seen the previous post and followed it to the letter but nothing happens.

5. davidedney123

davidedney123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, something I don't understand is that the PD30/PD50 automatically switches to 16:9 and turns off all image options when it gets a progressive input from the component inputs, so you don't get to select the options.

The 4th display option, called "progressive" only appears when an input is component (interlaced) or one of the scarts, but these inputs can't provide a progressive mode. Is this display mode doing some internal processing to de-interlace the incoming signal and display it as a progressive one?

Thanks,

Dave

6. Jimmy Junkster

Jimmy Junkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also noticed this on the PD50. When playing DIVX DVD's through RGB SCART the PD50 OSD says "Progressive". Is it an OSD error or, as Dave asks, is the signal being de-interlaced? That would be a lot of interpolation.

I have to say that whatever the PD50 is up to I'm not that fussed: I never expected DIVX files to look this good on a large screen.

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The DVD player controls these options. If you select 525 lines rather than 525/625 auto (as in the Arcam set-up), or something similiar in the DVD set-up menu then you'll get true aspect ratio and be able to change the aspect to your desire.