1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PD30 PAL PS flicker query

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pward, Feb 25, 2004.

1. pward

pward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a PD30 and a Yamaha 540 DVD player. When using PAL PS, I get considerable flicker. According to the manual this is normal. However, I have noticed in other threads people discussing PAL PS with the PD30 and whilst other PAL PS faults/features are mentioned, the flicker never seems to get a mention.

Am I just being sensitive to the flicker, or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Paul

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I get this with my Toshiba 32ZP38. I've found that different DVDs give different results. Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets looks great in PAL PS while some other films flicker. NTSC films also look great. I believe it comes down to converting from 24fps of the original film to 25fps PAL and 30fps for NTSC. PS by its nature will also be viewed at 50Hz so the difference from 100Hz modes will be more noticable. Also human peripheral vision is more susceptible to flicker. Try looking at your screen directly then look slightly to either side, top and bottom. Some people are more aware of this than others.

Not much help I know but maybe this will explain it better. I had great expectations about PAL PS and was a little bit disappointed with it.

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Are you sure that the film is properly flagged for PAL progressive? I've had more than half my PAL films (PAL is less than 20% of my collection) that are not picked up by my HK DVD 2550 as progressive.

Its worth checking that your player is picking up the progressive flags correctly on any problem disks.

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Does the HK tell you if there's a PS flag? I haven't checked if my Toshiba DR1 yet but I will tonight. Do you know of any site that lists discs with PS flags for PAL/NTSC.

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    yes, I press the Info key and I get two screens of infomation about the dvd and whats been output from the dvd including if its prog scan or interlaced, bit rates and so on.

I'm not aware of any site that lists pal prog scan compatibility, but there must be one. I guess the only real solution to this is to get a more expensive dvd player like the denon that can handle badly flagged disks.

6. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Brian I have a Dennon 2200 which arrived at home today. I'm going to connect via component tonight and will be using hopefully PAL PS as most of DVD's are region 2. These flags as you call them, are they bit of information on the disc that tell the DVD player to play a PS image?
    If they don't work or thre DVD doesn't pick them up is there a way to force the DVD player to play the film in PS. It would be a shame not to make the most of my TV and films.

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Nope, its down to the relevant decoder(s) on the DVD player, this is one off the reasons I switched to only buying in R1 ahead of getting my PD30.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BrianC there is a firmware solution for incorrect flags on HK DVD25/2550 that should sort that out for you. Have a search mate.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    do you mean the apache firmware? I'm already running that, hence why I've got PAL Progressive and multi region.

if you mean another one, please post a direct link as I can't find another one mentioned.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Might be Apache I remember a thread on flags a while ago, PAL PS does not require Apache as HK released an official Firmware for PAL PS IIRC

11. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    but then you lose multiregion with the HK firmware :(

12. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its important that your set is calibrated correctly! If brightness and/or contrast is set too high, it will cause an increase in flicker!

13. Jason Jackson

Jason Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a HK506 DVD and I'm convinced that while the info displayed ref the flags is incorrect the player is actually playing the disk correctly ie displaying as interlaced but playing as PS.

How do I know - I get the moire affect on my PD30 discussed in other threads only when a picture is in PS mode and I see that on disks that are displayed as interlaced.