PD30 auto picture format question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Joe Pineapples, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Since i cant test this in the shops, could one of you lucky Panasonic PD30 (and sky) owners, please answer this.

If you have auto-format (or whatever its called) enabled, when viewing through skydigital, what happens with the screen when flicking through different programmes - does it use (vertical side) black bars when a 4:3 or 14:xx broadcast is detected, or does it inteligently zoom and stretch the picture near the sides, to fill the screen, but still give a more or less undistorted image?.

hope you can follow what i mean :)

The reason i ask is because i was looking at a m8's Philips PW9308, which, with the auto format on, did manage to fill the screen with whatever station i turned to (through skydigital). It even managed it with an old 'Rockford Files' episode on BBC2, which i imagine was NOT an original 16:9 transfer, and it still didnt look distorted. I was very impressed by this, and thought it would be nice if the Pana could do the same (my main choice right now)

cheers

Dean

2. zeymatis

zeymatis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have me pd30 since saturday and after a week tinkering ive settled on a decent set up .
    i have mine set to panasonic auto and allways sets TV to fill the screen unlike my JVC which would put it to 4:3 if it was sent like that .

sometimes in this mode ive noticed that u miss say the scores in top left hand corner when watching football but it also dosent really stretch the picture either .

one thing i will say is though , is that if u dont have a good signal coming into the TV then u aint gona get a good picture .. for some reason channel 4 on mine looks superb but bbc2 looks awfull and grainy ,,, and sometimes the blacks look a little to black .
    i have the set put on 75,882i mode and this gives a much better picture than the other modes .

But when u slip a dvd in this thing is awesome ,,,, when ive read in magazines and they say "oh my god its like looking through a window , or its like its in 3D ,,, well this is true !!!!!

The colours are so rich and creamy , blacks are like ink and whites like they have come of the washing line .. im running a tosh 520 and there is hardly any flaring of whites when u watch the credits and the likes , and i should be getting the denon 2900 so its gona get a lot better ..

So far i havent had any of the problems that this forum have thrown up and i hope i dont ,, I LOVE THIS SET

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Yes, i think i prefer it to do this. Having said that, others might not, so is there another option to use black side-bars instead (as with your JVC) ?

Funny thing with this, i noticed on my m8's 9308, that with a Springsteen DVD i tried, a black shirt worn by the man, was jet black (no detail to be seen), whereas the blacks on a sports program (this was saturday teatime), were not black enough. Time and time again, i've wanted a tv with around 4 seperate memory banks, to have a different setup for colour/brightness/contrast etc, for each input on the tv. Maybe one day.:lesson:

anyway, thanks for the input zeymatis

Dean

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deansimm M8,

If your going to run this set on SKY via RGB then I would first check it out and see if you like it. If you search on this forum your see a lot of people find SKY through RGB not very good and I for one can verify this. I sent back three sets because of the noise problem on RGB inputs and especially the problem it caused on SKY.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    thanks for the info Bazza

I take it that it looks ok in standard 'PAL' mode? - i was probably going to run it in this mode anyway, PAL mode actually looks rubbish on my existing tv too - especially the colours, which look far too saturated.

cheers

Dean