Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PC's & Projectors - suitable substitute for a monitor?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gargoyle, Apr 30, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I recently posted a thread on behalf of a friend who wants to play his pc games on a large screen - he originally intended to pick up a 24in widescreen monitor but found the price prohibitive, next he thought about combining two 17in monitors but that proved inpractical so now he's toying with the idea of a projector - are there any users out there who are happy with their setup and can provide info as to what he should look out for?
    His budget can only stretch to £550 - should he take a serious look at projectors or should he stick to conventional monitors?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    There are projectors available for under £550, such as this low res one here:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3KCF&referrerid=FC

but look around at places like www.ivojo.co.uk and see what they do for the price.

The main thing with projectors is the cost of lamp replacements which can be £200 to £400 every 2000 hours (or whenever they are rated to expire), but many people use their projetors to play games on so I don't see why your friend shouldn't try it. Any image under 5ft wide will be plenty bright I would think.

Gary.

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If he's going to be playing games for long hours, which most gamers do, then he'll go through bulbs quicker than most, and he won't want to spend half of his initial budget every time a bulb needs replacing.

A Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector will go for around £550 on Ebay and should provide a good picture. But I'd recommend he goes for a 26" LCD display, which he should be able to get within the budget.

4. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well, here's his criteria - the screen size must be around 36-42in, he'll be using it on average, twice a day for around 1-4hrs and the total distance involved is 3 metres approx - I actually thought that this may well be the format for him but your advice concerning the cost of replacement bulbs aint going to win him over - £100 for a bulb? whew!
    I'd like to put something over to you and would appreciate your pov, I've noticed that dabs are selling 42in plasma screens for around £950 - if you had the cash, would you settle for one of these or would you purchase a good projector?

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    I'd go for a projector every time over a plasma unless bright daylight in the room is going to be an issue as you need a good deal of light control if you want good contrast and/or black level. A projector will have the same or better resolution (starting at 854 x 480), and will easily give him (or you?) the size he wants or bigger. Cheaper plasmas don't produce as good an image as a projector is capable IMHO, and if it's mostly for games, he doesn't have to worry about it being optomised for home cinema, so even a data projector will do.

If it's for watching tv, then either the projector and/or the source need to be set-up for video, so a data projector won't necessarily be ideal, but using a suitably equipped PC will give a better image than a standalone DVD player.

Here's a list of pjs going up to £1500, in price order (cheapest first):

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/projectors-by-price-0.htm

Lamp prices can be found on the net if you do a search if that's going to influence your choice.

Gary.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Most games are 4:3 format still? for £500 you can get a decent data PJ but he really needs to try it before buying £500 gets you Tosh ET-1 for Panny Data unit, Rainbows will be an issue with CHEAP DLP but res is OK and no chicken wire Plasma arent ideal as they are low res and for gamong you need to look at XGA panels £2k+ other choice is a cheap nasty LCD TV
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83114

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the input people, I spoke to my friend about the choices offered by you and he's come to the conclusion that projectors would be more hassle than they're worth as lack of space means that the projector would'nt have a permenant site and he absolutely hates the idea of spending hundreds of pounds on bulbs, as for plasma, he acknowledges that he'll need to spend a great deal more than £1000 in order to get a good display and as for lcd, he's already demoed 2 models and hated the pq so heres what he's finally decided - Dell's ultra hot 24in widesccreen looks to be the one to get even if there's a 3 month waiting list and it means he got to cobble together a further £400! :rolleyes: