PCs can't access / share folders across my network

Oneeasygeezer

Standard Member
Are you not trying to use windows explorer to access the shares, only your browser?
Originally I had the drives set up as shares across both laptop and pc and it's worked with no problems for years, I then went away in June last year and came back in October, I knew there would obviously be stacks of updates including the the update to Win 10 having updated everything I then noticed after a couple of days that I was having network access issues, which 5 months later I've still been unable to bottom hence the request fro assistance. I normally access the regularly used folders via the shares and one offs via Multi Commander my file manager.

next010

Distinguished Member
That a strange one for sure, ideas that come to my mind
1) check windows event log in administrative tools, it might give some clue as to whats happening but looking through that can be searching for a needle in a haystack.

2) reset windows 10 file permissions, you might want to try it on a test folder and then share that test folder to see if you can access it, the win updates may have done something to the file permissions.

3) Do you have a Microsoft account ?, I vaguely recall some alleged feature that the same MS account used to sign into windows on multiple machines helps with network shares.

40 There is a script for powershell (run as admin) that will spit out the network settings used by windows as a txt file on your desktop, try it for both PC's and see if there is any differences between the two.

Oneeasygeezer

Standard Member
That a strange one for sure, ideas that come to my mind
1) check windows event log in administrative tools, it might give some clue as to whats happening but looking through that can be searching for a needle in a haystack.

2) reset windows 10 file permissions, you might want to try it on a test folder and then share that test folder to see if you can access it, the win updates may have done something to the file permissions.

3) Do you have a Microsoft account ?, I vaguely recall some alleged feature that the same MS account used to sign into windows on multiple machines helps with network shares.

40 There is a script for powershell (run as admin) that will spit out the network settings used by windows as a txt file on your desktop, try it for both PC's and see if there is any differences between the two.

Oneeasygeezer

Standard Member
Sorry for the late response in replying. I couldn't find anything obvious looking at the event log but as you say it's like for a needle in a haystack. I also tried the test folder idea but it made no difference. I've tried resolving the problem previously with MS accounts in use on both PCs as well as with 1 local account the same and 1 MS account but again it made no difference. when I ran the script it repeatedly failed at line 3.

In pure frustration I wiped the HDD on the laptop reinstalled a fresh copy of Win10 and tried to access the main PC. There was a strange change in that when trying to access the main PC from the laptop a share came up as G: which I didn't recognise when I checked the Main PC it was actually a share for J: which I had forgotten all about but there was still no access to the other PC folders!!!

As a result I've decided that I really don't have any more time to spend trying to resolve the problem so I've add some more folders on the NAS which both machines can access albeit I have to know in advance that I'll need the files from the other PC. I'm going to wait until the next Win10 up date's released around May time then I'm going to wipe the Main PC and start from fresh.

I would just like to thank everyone whose tried to help resolve my problem, I really do appreciate your time and assistance.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom