PCM tracks etc, backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sweet Green, May 6, 2007.

1. Sweet Green

Sweet Green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I now have a ps3 and want to use it as a blu-ray player for films. I want to use the optical output of the ps3 and connect it to a pair of wireless pioneer 5.1 surround heaphones which accept normal decoded DD or DTS from a dvd player etc.

Do these new next gen tracks PCM, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True-HD etc downconvert themselves if required to normal DD or DTS so i can still get my trusty old 5.1 surround?

I have heard about so called "core" tracks that are compatible, do all blu-ray films have these and will they continue to have them in the future?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i just got my ps3 last week, and have the sound connected to my amp via optical. The dts hd soundtrack comes down now problem and flags up as dts and you get a 1.5 mbit sound track much better than dvd dts. Other discs i have give me the option of dolby digital 5.1 which sounds ok, or uncompressed pcm, if i choose this the amp shows this as dolby pro logic 2/dts neo and it takes the 2 channel output from the pcm over optical and plays it as a pseudo 5.1 sound track. I have compaired bothe sound tracks and to my ears the downconverted pcm sounds far better than dolby 5.1.

3. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    And if if you have an HDMI receiver that is capable of handling 7.1 LPCM or 7.1 analogue it sounds even better (analogue not for PS3 mind, only standalone). :)

4. Sweet Green

Sweet Green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many thanks for the replies. :thumbsup: