PCM shown on AV from my PC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by cyberandice, Apr 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cyberandice

cyberandice
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a yamaha RXA1050 AV and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the best sound card and best physical connection to get best out of the music from my PC to my Amp please?

I'm currently using HDMI cable from my PC to AV connected into my Asus Nvidia GeForce GT640 2GB GDDR3 card.

The AV always reports the audio as PCM unless I play a Video which has a 5.1 soundtrack contained within it via VLC player.
    However for playing normal music mp/flac files it always reports it as PCM on the Amp.
    Is this normal?

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is normal.
    Digital audio is either in PCM or stream.
    Stream could be DSD (sacd format), dolby, dts etc.
    Digital music from CD's are all in PCM, unless it is an SACD which could be DSD - at any rate I doubt HDMI is DSD compatible.
    To get pure digits out you need a player capable of outputing in WASAPI to the Yamaha, google it for more info.
    Is the answer more confusing than the question?

3. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    It's definitely possible to send DSD over HDMI. Lots of universal Blu-ray players with SACD compatibility do it.

Not sure if it's possible from the OP's PC though.

4. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case you could tick the box that says anything like "DSD capable" on your audio output that says Yamaha.