• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question PCM or bitstream?

kbazza

Novice Member
Just wondering what would be best for me.

I have a 2.1 soundbar and a Samsung 4k tv.

And I use dolby digital plus

Thanks in advanced

keithwiggins

i always found bitstream sounded a little better.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
From what I understand, bitstream = host does the audio decoding, pcm = destination device does the necessary. If that’s correct, then any differences in audio quality would be down to how well the devices in the chain handle things. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong here!

Morden

Distinguished Member
From what I understand, bitstream = host does the audio decoding, pcm = destination device does the necessary. If that’s correct, then any differences in audio quality would be down to how well the devices in the chain handle things. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong here!

Its the opposite, pcm is processed on the TV, bitstream is passed through to amp/SB for processing.

Just wondering what would be best for me.

I have a 2.1 soundbar and a Samsung 4k tv.

And I use dolby digital plus

Thanks in advanced
PCM is uncompressed and processed at source e.g. the tv.

Bitstream is compressed and passed through to the amp/ SB for processing. :)

And if your using dts then bitstream is the way to go, if you want the amp to do your decoding.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Well, I was close. :( If I read the above correctly then will modern TVs pass multichannel bitstream, including the various flavours of DTS? I thought that most new TVs still wouldn’t handle anything above 5.1.

Morden

Distinguished Member
Well, I was close. :( If I read the above correctly then will modern TVs pass multichannel bitstream, including the various flavours of DTS? I thought that most new TVs still wouldn’t handle anything above 5.1.

Yes dts will Passthrough and process whatever is in its header
Most new tvs should Passthrough, sony bravias do
pass through atmos via arc/earc, certainly my sony xg9505 does.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
@Morden: Interesting. My Sony 4K BR player is set to split the video and audio feeds — video to TV, audio to soundbar. So if I set the player to output video and audio on the TV connection and set my 2019 LG TV to pass though I should get multichannel audio as I do now using my current connections? What I’m not clear on at present is the effect of using pass through on the TV when it comes to multichannel audio from Freeview or Freesat using the TV’s onboard tuners or for any device passing DD5.1 audio via HDMI. Getting this to work would certainly simplify my choice of soundbar upgrade. Right now, all of the HDMI ports on both my TV and Yamaha YSP4100 soundbar (4+4) are in use, so being able to use the TV as an HDMI switch would be a big win. I can feel a post coming on in the LG TV forum though, because I have a nagging doubt that my LG TV doesn’t behave in the same way as your Sony TV. The big gotcha here of course is that bitstream is compressed but pcm isn’t.

Last edited:

Morden

Distinguished Member
@Morden: Interesting. My Sony 4K BR player is set to split the video and audio feeds — video to TV, audio to soundbar. So if I set the player to output video and audio on the TV connection and set my 2019 LG TV to pass though I should get multichannel audio as I do now using my current connections? What I’m not clear on at present is the effect of using pass through on the TV when it comes to multichannel audio from Freeview or Freesat using the TV’s onboard tuners or for any device passing DD5.1 audio via HDMI. Getting this to work would certainly simplify my choice of soundbar upgrade. Right now, all of the HDMI ports on both my TV and Yamaha YSP4100 soundbar (4+4) are in use, so being able to use the TV as an HDMI switch would be a big win. I can feel a post coming on in the LG TV forum though, because I have a nagging doubt that my LG TV doesn’t behave in the same way as your Sony TV. The big gotcha here of course is that bitstream is compressed but pcm isn’t.

Yes it is compressed, but its a digital source in bitstream. And to be honest i don't notice any difference.
For a disk player, best option is to use audio/ video to SB and SB passes video to the TV.

I'm not sure on how LGs pass their audio, hopefully they do it similarly to sonys. 🤞

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, the soundbar route for disc is best via a soundbar, I agree. Sadly my Yamaha YSP4100 is getting on for 10 years old, as I recall, so pre-dates anything 4K. As it’s started to throw the odd hissy fit I’m thinking about its replacement, hence my trying to work out the best way to connect all my devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom