PCM or Bitstream for 2.0

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Cyral, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cyral

Cyral
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Recently I ''downgraded'' my 2.1 system to a 2.0 system with the phantom golds, while I immensely enjoy the system, I don't know whether PCM or Bitstream is better.

Which setting do you use for movie watching? They're connected with an optical cable.

Thanks,

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this in a hifi system or is it AV ?
    your question is a bit vague.
    PCM is usually 2 channel in 16/44.1 (CD quality) or higher i.e. 24/96 and so on.
    Bitstream usually means that the source only outputs the digits in their original format for a out-box decoder to do the decoding, again usually used for multi-channel AV systems, such as dolby and so on.
    At what stage or equipment do you have to choose between the two formats?

3. Cyral

Cyral
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My blu ray player has the option to choose PCM or Bitstream (DD, DTS) for the digital audio out. (connecting the Blu ray directly with an optical cable to the Devialets).

4. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Your Blu ray player is doing the decoding, but Bitstream informs you of the format, so just stick with that. :smashin:

5. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you choose bitstream, your speakers may not be able to decode every sound track, as support for DTS or multichannel Dolby may not exist in a hifi setup.
    I would stick with PCM - that means your bluray player does the decoding, and sends the decoded material in simple digits to your speakers.
    At any rate, choosing the wrong format would manifest itself in possible no sound on certain audio formats.
    If your question was which one sounds better - then the answer is "pretty much the same" unless either your player or speakers have an inferior DAC compared to each other.

Blu-ray Disc Audio - Bitstream vs PCM Output - Which Is Best?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017